RC51 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got my 03 RC51 from my Step-Dad. He tipped it over years back while changing the front tire and it wouldn't start after that. After years of sitting and me finally getting a Motorcycle License I asked if I could buy the bike from him. Before the bike is given to me he tries to start the bike using a battery from his Harley since the battery for the RC was dead. He told me he heard an electrical sound (can't be anything good) and now when i put the key in the ignition nothing lights up or cuts on. FYI he did replace the tip over system, we pumped out the old fuel and changed the spark plugs. I also checked the fuse that is right by the battery and that fuse was fine. I want to get this bike up and running again but before i had it over to a shop to pay for an entire exploration of what is wrong I want to see if I can narrow that scope. If you guys have any advice whatsoever it would be greatly appreciated. I am not familiar with working on bikes in particular but I am willing to learn at this point. Thanks so much for any and all help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It’s totaled. Since I’m such a nice guy, I’ll save you the salvage fees and take it off your hands for free...lol

In all seriousness, I’d start with the simple. Check all fuses, electrical connections, and wiring for integrity. I believe the electrical diagram is posted here somewhere. I’d get a replacement battery since you’ll need it eventually, as well as a charger/tender to keep it fresh while troubleshooting and beyond.

You might pick up a couple relays to swap in (fuel pump, etc) just in case any of those have issues.

Your initial “dropped then wouldn’t start” sounds like a tip-over sensor.

Your fuel pump should briefly turn on when the key is on and the kill switch is switched to on. You’ll hear a click then high pitched whine, then click off.

Hopefully that gets you started. Others here have far more knowledge than me, hopefully they’ll chime in.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You just got your motorcycle license and this is your first bike? It's better for you, the RC, and the motorcycle community at large that this bike NEVER starts.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Check the headlamp fuse as well. My SP2 wouldn't start one day. The dash lights were on when turning on the ignition but got nothing when hitting the starter... dead, so I started going through everything starting with fuses. I found that the headlamp fuse was blown. I replaced it and immediately when turning the key... the headlamp fuse would blow again.. I disconnected the headlamps and replaced the fuse and the bike started. It was actually some carbon tracing between the contacts on one of the headlamp bulbs that was shorting and blowing the fuse. I replaced the headlamp bulb that had the issue and no further problem. It's not likely that is what you are dealing with but just know that that the damn headlamp circuit may quite possibly be the RC51's achilles heel.. smh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the help guys. I'm looking through the bike now. It's moving slow cause the lack of the familiarity with doing this. I'll post back once I get some money together for tools and a new battery.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Welcome and good luck bring that girl back to life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i have made some progress. I discovered that there was a blown fuse that kept the electronics for turning on so i replaced that. So the fuel pump cuts on and everything on the dash cuts on. I tried to start it but the engine still wont turn over. The starter sounded like it was working fine so that may not be the issue. I'm not sure where to start now. I tested the battery and the voltage didn't drop lower than 10v so that should be a good thing. I know the spark plugs were changed and the gas was pumped out a few months ago (around Christmas time.) I'm going to see if i can reach out to my mechanic (he usually works on cars but ive been told he has some knowledge out motorcycles as well) and ask him what he thinks the problem may be. I believe the tip over sensor was replaced so i would think that should be fine but im not sure. Any ideas on where to look next?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok. so ive hit a road block that is super frustrating and has kept me from making any progress on my bike. I have NO clue how to get the fuel pump back in the tank. I think i am getting stuck between the brace on the inside of the tank and the back screw where i have to fit the washer onto. I've looked online, i have searched through this forum and i haven't found any info on how to re-install the fuel pump assembly. if anyone has any tips or tricks for it i would greatly appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts