RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently acquired a vfr for commuting purposes as the rc is just not set up for that and bike seemed like a good deal. One owner, all service records back to new, etc...Fast forward three weeks and "new" bike is sitting with r/r charging problems and I'm back on rc. Suppose the cosmos is telling me something?

·
Registered
447 Posts
About the only thing it really says is that Honda had a lot of R/R problems in that time period. I have a much older VFR that has been flawless since new.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Rectifier/Regulator issues are a known problem with the VFR around that era. It's one of the few weak points of that model.

Check if you can replace it with a R/R on the later model VFR, or if you can replace it with a Shindengen MOSFET R/R used on recent bikes.

There are also threads on this forum for replacing the OEM RC51 R/R with a Shindengen unit that may provide additional info as well.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I have an older ('90) VFR with about 67,000 miles, most of which were done riding mostly in the higher areas of the rev range in the first 8 years of it's life. I resurrected it from 15 years in storage last year after importing from UK to Japan & it still runs perfectly.
I use it for less challenging trips, such as an 80 km ride to Tokyo & back, carrying passengers, riding inpoor weather & things like that.

Sounds like you got the 800 V-Tec 2nd generation. These later VFR's are supposedly good bikes. Probably a rectifier issue. Get it sorted and you should have a great and under rated bike.

nobody, the '86 was a good bike indeed but I reckon the 750 Pro arm models were better. Also easier to find good tires for. Early FG - FK models had 16" front wheels.
Still great bikes to this day. Honda don't build them like they used to. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
I want a 2007...the anniversary colors kick ass. GL, it's not karma....no such thing. Shit happens:D

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
You may very well be right Stig I'm just biased...lol
I think I am too, so we meet somewhere in the middle, lol.
But yeah, there were lots of improvements from 1990-1997.
For example, all pro arm models had shims & buckets instead of tappet adjustment - which mostly never went out of spec. (Mine have never needed adjustment in 67,000 miles either :)).
The best I think is the 1994-1997 range as it was kinda styled like the NR750.
Lots of detail changes for that model and it's lighter than it's predecessor too.

The first 800's remind me of teapots, not sure why and the next generation look a bit like big scooters, but that's just me. They got V-Tec & more capacity yet much the same power, all in the name of emissions standards and things like linked brakes in an effort to appeal to born again bikers with less polished braking skills, then ABS which isn't a bad thing I suppose. They also lost the gear driven cams as Honda's bean counters frowned upon this non necessity until the whining stopped...

Lets not go into 1200 VFR's. Sales have resembled erectile disfunction for Honda.
It's so ugly that few nurse a stiffy for their latest and greatest.
Seems they lost the plot there and in doing so, dropped the crown of the best all-rounder...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts