RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, I need a quicker throttle tube.
Does anyone have one to sell?
I've never used either. which one would you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
But after watching this

I believe that in public roads even the 1/4 throttle doesn't cut it for me.
It is very sensitive from 0 to 1-2% opening making the V2 kicking.

I think I will try something like 1/3 throttle or 1/2 if I can find or even make one.

The 1/6 throttle is purely for track use, IMO.
You can't control the minor throttle opening or corrections while riding on a wet or worn out public road and leaning in a curve with the V-Twin.
It is just for a quick full throttle use.....nothing more.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I like my 1/6th turn throttle tube, it's fun to get on the throttle that much quicker. While there is a bit of a learning curve it isn't a HUGE difference, just right imo...

And I'll disagree about the track only opinion, I've found smooth throttle transitions to be even more important on the track, unless you're just going with a true point and shoot approach?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Makis, I don't understand your thinking. 1/4 turn is already more than I care for, why on earth would I want 1/3 or 1/2? That adds even more roll to the throttle.
I want a little less so I don't have to move my fingers of my brake lever.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Makis, I don't understand your thinking. 1/4 turn is already more than I care for, why on earth would I want 1/3 or 1/2? That adds even more roll to the throttle.
I want a little less so I don't have to move my fingers of my brake lever.
The more you need to twist the throttle to a full open position, the smaller acceleration fragments you get and so the better you control the throttle opening inside a curve.

Riding around in public roads, I found out that the 1/4 throttle twist sure makes my fingers leave the brake lever less than a 1/3 but have been always very nervous trying to give A LITTLE throttle while leaning inside a curve. The rear wheel becomes stuttering when you tryto open the throttle from 0 twist to something (2-3 degrees).

I guess with the 1/6 that effect will be multiplied while the fingers will be more close to the lever all the time.
It has totally to do with each one's driving style and what feels more important to him while driving.

If I want to hit the brakes, I instantly lift my hand off the throttle tube by half an inch, the throttle comes back to zero and then grab the brake lever and the throttle tube back to squeeze....that I can do whether I have a 1/6 tube or a 1/3.

They both will come back to zero position if I lift my hand off them......however, they will not give me the same detailed throttle opening hence the same FINE throttle control over the rear wheel inside a curve when half of my butt is hangin' over the seat :eek:

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha, John and I had it out over this subject last year.
Lol.
What thread? I will search.

The more you need to twist the throttle to a full open position, the smaller acceleration fragments you get and so the better you control the throttle opening inside a curve.

Riding around in public roads, I found out that the 1/4 throttle twist sure makes my fingers leave the brake lever less than a 1/3 but have been always very nervous trying to give A LITTLE throttle while leaning inside a curve. The rear wheel becomes stuttering when you tryto open the throttle from 0 twist to something (2-3 degrees).

I guess with the 1/6 that effect will be multiplied while the fingers will be more close to the lever all the time.
It has totally to do with each one's driving style and what feels more important to him while driving.

If I want to hit the brakes, I instantly lift my hand off the throttle tube by half an inch, the throttle comes back to zero and then grab the brake lever and the throttle tube back to squeeze....that I can do whether I have a 1/6 tube or a 1/3.

They both will come back to zero position if I lift my hand off them......however, they will not give me the same detailed throttle opening hence the same FINE throttle control over the rear wheel inside a curve when half of my butt is hangin' over the seat :eek:
Well explained Makis. :)
I've considered most of that, and still feel like I want to try it.
I'm thinking I've seen talk here about a 1/5 tube? Can't remember for sure, but I guess I would try that first if it's available for our bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Mine came with the HRC throttle tube when I bought it and I haven't ever found it too sensitive, but to some it might do I guess. Wishing I could fit the same to the VFR as that's too long travel I think...

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Thanks Makis. Doesn't fit the VFR750 though. Maybe I'll have to find a larger throttle housing for it... :D

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
The VFR has an integrated throttle housing with light switch, engine starter & kill switches. Also the housing is of smaller size than the SP's, which is why I don't think the tube would fit. Anyways, it's no big deal - I'll probably just leave it as it - too many things to change just to shorten the throttle rotation a little. I'll live on with it (...for maybe another 20 years :D).

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Nice link, Makis! - Looks like a perfect solution for my TDR project in the future, the standard throttle on it requires far too much twisting. :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts