RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I always ran Repsol 4T 10w-50 in my CBR1krr when I lived in Arizona as the dealers recommended the higher viscosity due to the Arizona heat. Well, I have 4 liters of the stuff sitting around and I'm about to store my bike away for winter and am contemplating running it in the RC51. I reviewed the instruction manual and it only shows 30 and 40 weight as recommendations. I always change my oil just before storing so the bike doesn't sit all winter with dirty oil.

A couple reasons I have given this some thought. First, I don't want the oil to be wasted and two, the Mobil 1 40 weight (3000 miles) that is in it now is pitch black. We all know the RC51 runs hot in traffic which explains the black oil.

I'm sure it will be fine to run but want some opinions of others who have more experience with the RC51. Afterall, I've only had it for a year.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you normally would use this oil in the summer, I'd buy a gallon jug of the Rotella 5w-40 and put that in. That Repsol stuff isn't cheap and the Rotella is $20. use the Repsol stuff in the summer.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Storage already , you can get up to mid October up there can't you ?

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Sell your Repsol to a member on here and buy something other than Rototiller oil....Even in the summer up there the fiddy weight seems a bit too heavy.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sell your Repsol to a member on here and buy something other than Rototiller oil....Even in the summer up there the fiddy weight seems a bit too heavy.
That's what I was looking for. Thanks. I for one would never dump diesel oil in any bike....but that's me. Time to go to the store and buy more mobil 1 4t

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
For storing, I'd use the cheaper Honda dino oil. HP4. I think it's about $8/qt. Then you're fine to run the bike if you feel like it. Come spring, change back to a full synthetic.
I tried 20w-50 and my bike hated it. shifting response and clutch feel was crappy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts