RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I can see an issue if you are using some second rate 520 chain. If you get a good quality (DID for me) chain, the 520 is no problems. I abuse the hell out of mine and it holds up fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jesus Howard Christ dude... Thousands upon thousands of RC owners have switched to the 15/41 520 Conversion just do it I mean it's not like this is a life threatening decision that is going to prevent your kids from growing up and quitting college on you or anything significant...
Ok first off watch your mouth. I said any insight is helpful. Secondly... I FOUND WALDO! thirdly I'm not made of money so if the upgrade isn't significant then what's the point? Lastly I have no children and I hope you don't as well because I can only imagine the amount of patients you would show them.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The difference between stock gearing with a 530 chain and a 15/41 520 Conversion is probably the one mod that will make the most noticeable difference of ANY mod you ever do to your RC51.

The only thing that might surpass that gearing mod in terms of the difference you feel might be the Ohlins shock out back, but even then the 15/41 is a huge improvement.

Sprocket & Chains are routine maintenance for a motorcycle not just an upgrade.

·
Registered
575 Posts
15/41 with 520 DID and love it. 190/55 tire ,, used to have 15/40 was ok ,,, but 15/41 love it

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Jesus Howard Christ dude... Thousands upon thousands of RC owners have switched to the 15/41 520 Conversion just do it I mean it's not like this is a life threatening decision that is going to prevent your kids from growing up and quitting college on you or anything significant...
Ok first off watch your mouth. I said any insight is helpful. Secondly... I FOUND WALDO! thirdly I'm not made of money so if the upgrade isn't significant then what's the point? Lastly I have no children and I hope you don't as well because I can only imagine the amount of patients you would show them.
You know, for some reason around here...when these kind of posts pop up from LDH, it's no problem because he is this bike "super guru gets paid for his opinions"..blah blah blah. Finding experts who have differing opinions on certain subjects isn't that hard. I welcome anyones opinions, and his MAY be more informed than others.... but do you think LDH you could work on your delivery? You and I have gone at it because of this same thing, and it's old....+1 WarpSpeed.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
If it were subjective then it would be a different story altogether, but nobody is going to tell you the 15/41 520 Conversion is a bad decision.

Ultimately there are no doubt countless threads on the subject on this site as well as other RC51 forums and I have detailed article on the subject complete with an Excel spreadsheet for calculating gearing versus rpm etc on RC51.org

http://www.rc51.org/gearing.htm

You'd think with this much information so readily available that people would be able to figure out some things on their own, but I guess everyone nowadays just needs some sort of personal attention or affirmation that is unique to them to justify their purchases which I am more than happy to provide. :)

It sure makes for a much livelier discussion than you normally would get :D

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
+1

BTW...

You know the search on this forum is quite useful and would have given you plenty of fed back without being out in the open with the firing squad.

You mean this one??:D

LDH likes it rough....tell him to back off in his own jack yard.:eek::D

If you need to change out the sprockets and chain, do the 520 change. if not, ride on Warp!

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Man, I mean really.. One members complaining for waiting... This member complains for the (LSD) speed of LDH answering...
Not to mention the rotating weight removed by changing to the 520 components..
I did the 520 (15/43) as for that I ride very tight, narrow roads here in the moutains..
As specified.. Probably- one of the most beneficial changes you can make / that is fairly cheap(compared to the Ohlins)

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Hey WS, personally, I'd recommend 15/42. And 520's are tried and proven now, now worries if you buy quality. I live just a 100 miles up the road from you, and it's what I run. I think you'd be happier, especially in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey WS, personally, I'd recommend 15/42. And 520's are tried and proven now, now worries if you buy quality. I live just a 100 miles up the road from you, and it's what I run. I think you'd be happier, especially in the Bay Area.
jondog9 mite be right , you live in the bay more short tight roads , 15/42 mite be the trick , jondog9 good looking out where he lives ,,

·
Registered
148 Posts
FWIW. You don't have to go 520 unless your chain is ready to be replaced or the weight of a 530 worries you. My chain was in good shape so I changed the sprockets only. Just make sure you get the appropriate versions. I like the durability of the bigger chain and won't be racing. So it worked for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts