RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
you could do it but thats extremely short gearing. youd shave over 30 mph off your top speed and youde be going up and down through the gears much more often. IMO a good way to go is 15/42.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you could do it but thats extremely short gearing. youd shave over 30 mph off your top speed and youde be going up and down through the gears much more often. IMO a good way to go is 15/42.
Thats what I figured, thats tha extra sprockets that are coming with my new RC and it seemed like it would only be useful on a very tight/short track, it also seems to me like I would be wheeling like crazy too...

·
Registered
58 Posts
i wouldnt go shorter than 15/43. the thing is with 15/46, your going to be changing gears alot more often to keep yourself in the meat of the powerband and changing gears more often slows your lap times down a lot. a quickshifter is good for shaving a second or 2 a lap depending on the track, which shows how gear changes slow you down.

you also need to take into account the amount of chain links you need for a certain sprocket ratio.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wouldnt go shorter than 15/43. the thing is with 15/46, your going to be changing gears alot more often to keep yourself in the meat of the powerband and changing gears more often slows your lap times down a lot. a quickshifter is good for shaving a second or 2 a lap depending on the track, which shows how gear changes slow you down.

you also need to take into account the amount of chain links you need for a certain sprocket ratio.
Well, that sprocket combo is coming with the bike, but is currently not on it, the bike does have a quick-shifter, seems to me the kind of gearing if you were running on a go cart track...

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
How about 16/46?
Leave your OEM 16 front sprocket on and try the 46 out back. (with another chain link, maybe two)
That's the approximate equivalent of 15/43.

Or 15/40?
That's a milder reduction, and a fair chance you won't need to change chain length. It'll scoot your rear axle back a little, but hopefully still within range. This change could be done for free, and you'd get a feel for the reduced ratio. You might like it, depending on your riding style.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about 16/46?
Leave your OEM 16 front sprocket on and try the 46 out back. (with another chain link, maybe two)
That's the approximate equivalent of 15/43.

Or 15/40?
That's a milder reduction, and a fair chance you won't need to change chain length. It'll scoot your rear axle back a little, but hopefully still within range. This change could be done for free, and you'd get a feel for the reduced ratio. You might like it, depending on your riding style.
Great ideas JonDog....why didnt I think of that? :):):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts