RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my special application, I need to get a bit more top end as I topping out at 65MPH now (dont need much more) and would like to do a little less shifting for normal use. I currently have the 16 tooth Honda on the front and a special busa 17 on the rear connected to the gearbox I am using. I see there are 17 tooth fronts and it seems this is the biggest. Anyone seen 18 tooth or higher or does it just not fit beyond 17 teeth? I really do not want to go smaller in the rear.

Also I read one post about changing the front sprocket without removing the chain! How is this possible? You have to remove the cover anyways, correct?

Thanks as usual ...

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I'm sure this question doesn't pop up often. :)
I have no idea what the maximum sprocket diameter will fit.
As you can see, there's not a lot of room with the 16T OEM front sprocket.

You might be able find a company to make a special 17T front, but I don't know exactly how much larger you can go before starting to hit something.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, thats already a tight fit looks like. I have a 17t on order and several seem to make this but was hoping to go bigger but does not not look like it. Thanks as usual ...

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I don't see how you decrease your final ratio much more without going to jack-shaft system to be able to install a larger diameter sprocket ahead of the final drive sprocket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI, my 17 tooth front went on ok. It might slightly be rubbing on the top of the cover near the rear but not sure yet. My chain angle is much different so I dont think it would likely rub in a normal application. I did find one place that listed a 19 tooth and I think it might actually fit too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts