RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have never used any other size then 190/50 for the life of my RC51 , in the past i heard riders using 180/55 for faster turning , 190/55 is the tire used now days , will the 180/55 work on my 02 ? 190/55 how much taller is it over the 180/55 , ,, please only info , im so new to asking ??? on a forum ,

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i found this --- A 190/55 is roughly 1/4 of an inch taller than a 180/55. The 180/55 still has better turn in because the profile on the 180 is steeper/pointyer.......I run the 190/55 because its the best comprimise between the contact patch of the 190/50, and the great turn in of the 180/55 ---- i tried all 3 sizes in the BT-016, liked the 190/55 for my 929. turns in faster than both 190/50 and 180/55. And that's not from rear ride height change since i adjusted my Fox TCR shock length to compensate. I'll guess the 180/55 is too narrow for 929's 6" rim and that flattens the profile. 180 noticeable less traction on rear braking or botched downshifts. 190/55 also best bump absorbtion when leaned over, feels less skitish on rough pavement. Tire life was about the same across the three: 2500 miles. ...alex --- I've ran the 190/50 that came on the bike then switched to the 180/55 when it was time. It definately turned in noticably quicker. A lil too quik for me on the street anyway. I just put on a new Michelin PilotPower 2CT 190/55. Racked up about 1200 mi. so far and I agree with MAC4LIFE it is the best of both worlds. Turns in a little quicker without sacrificing the corner stability that the 190s bring to the table.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
thanks for the info and time you took to look it up for me , have a great night
Not a problem, anything for a fellow RC rider. I reread that thread every time I need a new rear when I see the price diff from a 180 to the 190/55. BTW every time I get the 190/55. Oh yeah one should be coming tomorrow from our friends at STG.:D
And it was a PITA, to find while on my phone.

James

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've currently got a 180 mounted on mine but it's a Q2 which has a wider profile than most. I've never measured it but I know most manufacturers don't follow the exact measurements on the side of the tire. For example, Dunlop makes the 211GPA's in 190/55 and 200/55. 600's use 190's, 1000's use 200's. So where does the bastard mid size RC51 fall with it's 6" wheel? I've got a couple 190 GPA's, when I finish a 200 off I'll throw it on and see the difference.

I can say that the difference between a 190/55 and a 200/55 on a 1000RR is amazing. Getting on the gas with the 190 and the rear end squirms a lot. The 200 stays planted and drives hard out of turns. This is all on track though.

·
Registered
468 Posts
http://rc51.org/tires.htm
thats where i got my tire info from.. i am currently running a 180/55 tire, but unfortunately i dont have anything to compare it to because it was what came on the rc51 when i purchased it. what i can say is, i am definitely leaning towards the 190/55 when the time comes to replace it because it does feel a bit squirmish at times. i like the sound of more tire contact with the road =P

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Hey Erkle? Did you do that?

This tire discussion comes up more than any other besides motor oil. And I still read them all, cause tires and technology do change every couple years. What was once favored, maybe now not so much any more. Anyway, I've read a ton of riders, myself included, that switched to 190/55 and that's the tire from now on. It is THE favored tire for most of us.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am about to grab some new tires....i run dunlop sportmax gt...they are ok but i have a hard time finding the limit of the tire. Id like something with good performance....and maybe something that doesnt cup quickly. Thats the problem with my front tire now... thinking of going with michellin pilots....suggestions?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am about to grab some new tires....i run dunlop sportmax gt...they are ok but i have a hard time finding the limit of the tire. Id like something with good performance....and maybe something that doesnt cup quickly. Thats the problem with my front tire now... thinking of going with michellin pilots....suggestions?

Change your fork oil and set up your suspension.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I changed my spring to match my weight, setup my suspension, and changed my fork oil last month....now i need tires

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Ldh...

.....now THAT'S funny, right there.

As to the whole 190/55 vs. 180/55 decision, I am a street rider, the RC51 never sees the race track. I have the Dan Kyle link, Ohlins shock, and Ohlins forks from LDH @ Kyle Racing.

I have BST carbon fiber wheels.

I liked the feel of the 180/55 better than the feel I'm getting from the 190/55 tire.

When my 190/55 wears out, I'm gonna go back to the 180/55.

I'm running Pilot Pures.

FWIW, YMMV, yadda, yadda........

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-technical-discussion/54895-195-55-tyre.html

This should help a little

James
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com Free App
James,

Thank you for putting in the work to keep us RC owners informed /educated! I'm going to try that 190/55 out when it's time to replace the rear. I'm going to get another Michelin Pilot, I like the "feel" of the Michelin 2CT tire over the other brands; the grip thus far has been SUPERB!:) how did you get that app for your phone? I went to the Google Marketplace, typed in "RC51 forum" and nothing came up...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Rc5184
Search for the motorcycle.com app

1 - 20 of 23 Posts