RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in 1992 I restored my first bike. It was this 1972 Honda CT70HK1 4 speed model. I wanted one of these back in the day but parents wouldn't foot the bill for one.

Not bad for a first try but I didn't use a Honda factory color. I used a 90 Corvette dark red metallic. Color was close. Long story short the bike's been sitting for awhile (about 20 years) gathering dust so I decided to redo it properly. It currently is completely torn down and I plan on starting on the motor (which I didn't do the last time) in about 2 weeks. I'm going to post a few pictures up every now and then on the progress.

Here's a shot of it just before I started tearing it down.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Ha! I have fond memories of one of those. It was my cousin's bike and we'd travel around Lisbon, or go across the long suspension bridge to the beach on it...

One night after he graduated high school we went to a celebration dinner with his classmates. Being the youngest I lost at all the drinking games...:eek: and Pedro, my cousin didn't fare so well either...

And so at the end of the night we wobbled home on his CT70. We hadn't travelled more that around 300m before we fell off as we rode over a wet steel bridge (asphalt had completely worn off so it was very slippery! - back in those days There was no EU and Portugal was quite a Poor country)!. The chain fell off and we got wet but that was about all the damage..
So we managed to get the chain back on the sprockets and re-wobbled on our way.
About 500m later as we rode down a cobbled dark street, we rode right into a huge pot hole...
The rear wheel got badly dented and we fell off again! :D
Remounted and made it home.

Next morning, my uncle asked us - did you fall off the bike last night?
We lied and said not... He just laughed.

Rode to the country house that afternoon to repair the wheel using a hammer and a few simple tools. Afterward, with my enthusiast spirit, I thought I'd also tune the carb... :D

Pedro got on, started it up and went flying down the street before falling off -as he tried to turn a corner... Turned out I'd assembled the slide wrong and had the carb stuck on wide open throttle! He was fine, but those were some funny times! :)

Reactions: Motleyfan

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally have some progress to report on the build.

I ended up doing a color change. The original was candy ruby red. When I redid it in 92 I painted it 90 Corvette dark red metallic. I got the other correct color for 72 on it now. Candy yellow special. Luckily the title does not stat the color of it so I am good to go.

I got the engine rebuild done. Found out a bent crank was causing my engine vibration.

About 99 percent I wanted of the parts are accumulated.

Bodywork is back from the painters. Chrome parts are back from the platers. Wheels are redone and new rubber mounted.

The assembly begins.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this a 44 year old mini Grom?

:)
I prefer to call it a 44 year old mid life crisis... Wanted one back in the day and my Dad wouldn't get me one. Did learn to ride on a friends Z50 though.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I prefer to call it a 44 year old mid life crisis... Wanted one back in the day and my Dad wouldn't get me one. Did learn to ride on a friends Z50 though.
My best friend had an orange CT70. Not sure of the year, but must've been about a '75.

It was cool, but I actually preferred his ATC 70. You know, one of those three wheelers where if your foot comes off the peg the rear wheel catches your foot, pulls you off and runs you over. But they were fun as heck to slide all over the place on sandy roads and trails. I guess in hindsight we were drifting before drifting became a thing.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Motley I've got a 1968 Honda CT90 all original with very low miles..

It's been in my family since the 1970s & stored in a barn for the past 30 or so years.. It desperately needs some attention & I'd love to get her running again for my kids one day I just don't have the time needed to restore it.. here's what it looks like now

Attachments

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Motley I've got a 1968 Honda CT90 all original with very low miles..

It's been in my family since the 1970s & stored in a barn for the past 30 or so years.. It desperately needs some attention & I'd love to get her running again for my kids one day I just don't have the time needed to restore it.. here's what it looks like now
I love the old early 70's Honda's. What I grew up mooching rides on. There's a local shop here in Ft. Wayne that used to be a Honda dealership now is a Vintage (mainly Honda) powersports shop. Redline Powersports. I 've seen a couple of those 90's go through there in the last year or so.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
That's good to know Motley maybe you'd be interested in it once you've finished the 72 lol.. I have family up in Indianapolis but I haven't been there since 2008 when I went for the inaugural Indy MOTOGP race..

I'd like to find a reliable shop or an individual somewhere here in Tennessee to restore it.

I also have this 1980 Puch in need of some TLC to be rideable again.. too many projects not enough time

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Whilst on a recent camping holiday, I (naturally :D) got talking with some guys who stopped close by on bikes. One had a Honda Monkey. Looked cool with brake discs, large calipers, etc. then looking closely, he had a twin cam head, flat-slide carb, custom exhaust, etc. Apparently it was a 125cc. It was a Japanese kit, I forgot to take a picture of the brand though. Doh!

A few months ago I bought a Honda C50 I gave to a friend who needed some reliable & cheap to run transport. I specifically chose a C50 (With carb, not fuel injection ;)) as I know it'll run forever with little maintenance if any. Local post offices in Japan use these daily for years to deliver post and do high mileages without ever changing the oil (AFIK) and they refuse to die. I suspect your engine rebuild will reveal no faults at all. You're probably one of the few customers who has ever asked for parts like these from Honda. :D

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Engine had a bent crank and a bent shift fork. All from abuse by the previous owner I think. It was pretty rough when I got it in 92. Did start on 2nd kick after I redid it the 1st time back then . You're right. Almost like indestructible.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another update. Have the reproduction stamped VIN plate installed and rivited and installed the steering stem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
man, that thing is tasty! my sweetie is about to button up her resto-mod CT, she's waiting for me to make new rear wheel spacers and a plate for the rear caliper. i'll have to see if I can find a picture of it...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
How did you go about gettig that....? Never seen that done before.
I was wondering about that, too. Man people will be able to make all kinds of "she's all original" claims, mostly thinking about classic cars. I guess I shoulda realized that at some point every part of a classic car will be able to be reproduced in a way that I won't be able to tell it.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How did you go about gettig that....? Never seen that done before.
I was wondering about that, too. Man people will be able to make all kinds of "she's all original" claims, mostly thinking about classic cars. I guess I shoulda realized that at some point every part of a classic car will be able to be reproduced in a way that I won't be able to tell it.
I have the original vin plate that clearly shows the original VIN but it is too damaged to able to reinstall back on the bike. I found a place in the Netherlands that reproduces older vin plates. They will stamp the numbers but it is NOT a raised stamp like the original VIN. Check out their sight: Vehicle Identification Plates,VIN Number Plates,Motorcycle Choppers Suppliers Switzerland

Also there a site in Canada that reproduces the VIN sticker on later models bikes. That one you need to provide alot of documentation before they will reproduce the sticker. Looks like they could do ones for our beloved RC. I know I'm debating having one done for my 900RR since the original one is scuffed in a couples of places by the previous owner. Their sight showing requirements to do this is:
http://www.bdesigns.ca/vin_reproduction_requirements.pdf with their sight being BDesigns - Vintage Motorcycle Decals and Restorations

Hope this sheds some light on things. Don't know if it's legal as far as the poo poo and DMV are concerned but what I have works for me on this restoration.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts