RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sure ive seen someone on here with this prob b4. when im slowing down towards a junction, i step down though the gears till the gears wont click down anymore, so i asume im in first when actually its in second! this doesnt happen all the time but it can make pulling away at junctions from standstill very awkward and potentially very dangerous.

the werid one is when im slowing down and the bike goes into first and the gear engages, then i stop and obviously pull the clutch in and get ready to go again, i dont touch the gears cos my foots on the ground, then i go to pull away and the bike is in second! its getting extremely annoying, but like i said it doesnt happen all the time.

an ideas whats wrong? im hoping its not a fucked gearbox and maybe just some kind of selector or adjustment thats needed.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Is the gear lever returning to normal position aftrr down shifting or does it stick down?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Is the gear lever returning to normal position aftrr down shifting or does it stick down?

That's the right question, as that would indicate if the return spring was ok as asked in the op's other post.

If the shift lever is returning to a normal position then I would delve a little further, but from your symptoms it is pointing to a shift fork(s) and or shift drum....

Unless someone else wants to chime in, please let us know if the shift lever is returning to a normal resting position with spring tension up and down.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If it were the return spring, I would expect the problem to happen on most gears when down-shifting, since it is only 1st, I would lean towards the shift fork too.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its returning to normal position, as if theres nothing wrong with it. the gears go all the way down into first when moving at a bit of speed, but not all the time when im stationary. then when i pull the clutch in (at standstill) and ready to move off, and its gone into 2nd gear. its like it keeps moving from 1st to 2nd automatically when the clutch is in at standstill

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
If the clutch lever is getting hard to pull, I'd first check the condition of the hydraulic fluid in the clutch line.
Try bleeding the line and check the condition of the fluid.
If it's cloudy or milky, then its absorbed a lot of water moisture.
I've seen that stuff get really thick.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When you say, "Step down Through the gears" Do you mean you pull the clutch in while your coasting and try to go from say 6th or 5th to 1st without any engagement until you are stopped and then assume your in first? or do you downshift through the gears letting them slow you down along the way till your stopped? I don't know of any bike that you could put in 6th gear running or not and be able to step on the shifter and get it to go all the way to 1st without just a little engagement. Not wanting to call out or blast on one of my RC brothers but not sure if this is a bike issue. Mine is a 2000 bone stock with 4500 miles and it won't do it. neither will my 78000 mile F3. We may need more clarifying info on this one in order to help.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
We're only working with the info given, I'm going to assume the op had gone through basics ie; fresh fluid, engine oil and that the op is not new to bikes and can ride and has a general understanding of how his bike has been running.

I realise that his description is rather vague so the insight given is all general, we did not say tear the engine down we merely gave him a few avenues as to what "could" be the issue...take all advice with a grain of salt until it has been inspected by someone qualified.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you say, "Step down Through the gears" Do you mean you pull the clutch in while your coasting and try to go from say 6th or 5th to 1st without any engagement until you are stopped and then assume your in first?
ok, im cruising along at around 40mph in third. a junction is approaching, cutch goes in, shift down to second, clutch comes out and gear engages. clutch goes in, shift into first, clutch comes out and first gear engages. come to a stop at the junction in frst, clutch goes in (as im stationary) check both ways, nothing coming, revs go up and start to release clutch to pull away and the bike is in second.

anyway, i've done some reading over prev posts on here and in other forums, a few guys have had a similar problem. But and once the oil, filter and clutch fluid have been changed this has sometimes solved the problem. gonna send the bike to my local garage, when i have the pesos, to have this work done as i havent has this sp1 long and not sure when this was all last done.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I recomend you do this service yourself. If it doesnt fix the issue, your gonna he out a lot of money already for basic maintenance you could be doing yourself. Its a good idea to get familar with your bike as well.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wouldnt even attempt changing the clutch fluid. i might give the oil a bash over the winter if i can find a how to on it. or if you guys can give me any pointers, sump plug pisitioning ect, bare in mind i dont have a bike stand thingys o itll all be done on the ground

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
^ Aw man, oil changes are really basic and bleeding the clutch isn't rocket science either. :) If you can turn a wrench, both tasks can be done!

Definitely download a copy of the Honda shop manual that's floating around on the message board (linked to a third party website) - it spells it all out clear as day. Try using the search function on the message board as well and you'll find some very helpful past threads that include step-by-step directions (as well as pictures).

A rear stand isn't necessary either when doing basic work (although it does make it a little easier!).

G'luck !

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good news on this, i took the sp1 to my local bike guy, hes looked over it and it looks like the bike just needs an allround service, or tune up as you boys in america say. according to the service history its also been ages since the plugs were changed too and i know theyre a bastard to change, so im gonna hand it to him to get the whole lot done, hes a good guy and wont pull my pants down over the price. like i said if it was just the oil id do it myself but it needs everything done and alot of this stuffs over my head, and if i make a mistake im fucked!

plus when he looked at it he recons that getting the clutch fluid and slave done will fix the prob with the bike sliding into 1st, so finger crossed. ill get it all done when it comes out of winter storage in feb

1 - 17 of 17 Posts