1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have a jardine 2n1 ti header and it weighs next to nothing. This is the only one I have ever seen for sale

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Is yours Ti or stainless?

My bad I just re-read your post. I didn't know they made a Ti alternative.
It's ti for sure. Had my ti Akra welded to it by a aerospace guy. He built this box and pumped argon into to weld correctly. It was pretty interesting

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im having a hard time staying away from these for a cool alternative! seems cheap

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wonder...

I don't want to be THAT guy, but I'd be a bit cautious about the material claim of the seller.

Many stainless qualities are not magnetic. In fact, it is one of the main properties of stainless steel.
Stainless is welded using Argon gas to avoid contaminating the weld.
Sometimes the welds on stainless steel will rust a bit because of the added material. Some welds, especially around the flanges look a bit rusty to me.
Lastly, the heat discoloration does not look like Ti to me.

But then again, even if it isn't Ti it is still a GREAT price for a nice set of headers in what looks to be very good shape. Get yourself a Ladybird can and you have a great system for next to nothing.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I wonder...

I don't want to be THAT guy, but I'd be a bit cautious about the material claim of the seller.

Many stainless qualities are not magnetic. In fact, it is one of the main properties of stainless steel.
Stainless is welded using Argon gas to avoid contaminating the weld.
Sometimes the welds on stainless steel will rust a bit because of the added material. Some welds, especially around the flanges look a bit rusty to me.
Lastly, the heat discoloration does not look like Ti to me.

But then again, even if it isn't Ti it is still a GREAT price for a nice set of headers in what looks to be very good shape. Get yourself a Ladybird can and you have a great system for next to nothing.
I agree, not titanium, I have yet to see any titanium headers that weren't custom fabrications, i for one would love to see pics of Ti headers folks

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I agree, not titanium, I have yet to see any titanium headers that weren't custom fabrications, i for one would love to see pics of Ti headers folks
I cannot comment on whether the header for sale is ti or not. I had two different exhaust shops turn my project away due to not being able to weld titanium. I found one guy in all of Kansas City that could do it. I doubt all of them were wrong about it being titanium. Maybe it's not jardine but it is titanium. I'll throw some pics up when i can.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thanks Chief!

My point about the Ti headers on this and a few other threads is that there is very little to be gained in weight loss in the headers, thin wall stainless is pretty light, so for a hefty price increase (stemming from material costs and comparative expense to work) there is little return, with the cans however you have a different story.
So why would the basic racer system use Ti headers and stainless cans?
The evo Akra system uses stainless headers and all Ti, or Ti/ carbon cans......

·
Registered
184 Posts
Also I thought the 2-1 ordeal didn't help at all in making any power,wonder what the exhaust tone is like? Yep you get a weight savings. On the track one less can to ruin.ow I made my offer. Since the local fellow with the satos is holding out for a big spender.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Also I thought the 2-1 ordeal didn't help at all in making any power,wonder what the exhaust tone is like? Yep you get a weight savings. On the track one less can to ruin.ow I made my offer. Since the local fellow with the satos is holding out for a big spender.
My bike made 137 bhp on HM racings dyno with a Durbahn airbox and snorkel and an Akrapovic modified 2-1 other than silencing gears junked and lightened clutch no other engine mods ( and a pc 11:eek:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Darn would have made my counteroffer higher. Stupid whats a couple dollars when its all said an done.Of course I want to be prepared when the ohlins forks pop up somewhere.Bought a second sp2,and it came with no cans!!! Price was right. Hindle on the track bike. Pretty but those cheezy mid-pipes just plain lack seriousness. Anything good shows up on this wonderful forum you guys are quicker than electricity! its GONE. anybike ive ever ridden on the track is faster than me anyhow. Hey thanks;)

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's ti for sure. Had my ti Akra welded to it by a aerospace guy. He built this box and pumped argon into to weld correctly. It was pretty interesting
Hang on, i just re read this, you had it welded to a Ti Akra can? then of course only Ti welders wanted to touch it, i still say no manufacturer mass produced any Ti headers for the RC51 :p

·
Registered
184 Posts
ti 2-1

I think itll be mine,hope it doesn't come with a j.c. whitney engraving where you cant see. And a reputable can fits easily.Oh yeah I hope its also really off an 04 rc51.-Pretty much guarantee its not ti, I care more about the little dent in the mid-pipe anyhow. Those ohlins forks will save the weight whenever I get them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well,as I was combing over the pipes with the zoom,someone bought the pipes up. Good for them. Solved my mixed emotions, On the Ohlins forks Im kicking myself hard for missing a set on the WERA BBS a couple weeks ago. Supposedly off a show bike $999.00 up there in Canada. Im sure the ad is still there. Of course they sold in minutes. Theres a Time and Place for everything.

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Well,as I was combing over the pipes with the zoom,someone bought the pipes up. Good for them. Solved my mixed emotions, On the Ohlins forks Im kicking myself hard for missing a set on the WERA BBS a couple weeks ago. Supposedly off a show bike $999.00 up there in Canada. Im sure the ad is still there. Of course they sold in minutes. Theres a Time and Place for everything.
Ya the Wera ad was posted here and on Speedzilla, I was second in line but they were scooped up by someone...initially I was disappointed. But then I delved into them a bit further and found out they were just the fg832's good forks but not as desirable as the fg322's.

So I emailed a fellow memeber here and asked him to keep and ear to the ground for some Ohlins forks for me. To my surprise I was pmd by a memeber saying he has two sets of fg332's. After some emails and an agreement on price myself and my good friend Duckhunter are proud owners of Ohlins fg322 forks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
:eek:Oh my, that is a beautiful wonderful thing. And you certainly are a great friend. I Just have to be patient and not put much more in my front end now. The r/t forks would be just wrong-correct?:eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts