RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know that there has been a fair amount of talk about converting the SP1/ 2 from two cans to a 2:1 system and the draw backs; however, the information listed on RC51.org is from like 2002! There must be a 2:1 system of sorts out since that allows for better exhaust flow, makes up for the "shorter distance" and handles the pulses of the mighty twin engine. Currently looking to change from double Akrapovic cans to a 2:1 system with a stubby but large can (definitely not carbon, due to heat/ and pulses) Ultimately it would be nice to have two straight pipes with no muffler, but then again only Harley's get to have that setup. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
stick with a 2:2 system, unless you want to lose power. V twins perform better with dual systems.
2:1 systems usually provide, little if any gain. They are great for sound though if thats what your after. I had a mivv 2:1 on my Aprilia, sounded great but the bikes performance across the powerband was garbage. Soon after i got rid of it for an Akrapovic system and it was like having a completely different bike.

If its looks and sound your after (even though i think most duals sound a lot better), then by all means do it but realize your bikes performance is going to suffer.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
idk why you'd want to get rid of those Akrapovic cans......unless you found a Sato setup or something.

·
Banned
427 Posts
i had the larger 2-1 fill exhauist made to do exactly what you want but it took a while to get done and tere was little demand so the 3 units i had made sold and i stopped making them

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personal preference really. I just like the cleaner less cluttered look of an undertail kit that takes away the license plate/ blinkers, with a single short exhaust that doesn't cover the rear tire and suspension. It also makes the bike look a little less like the tail end of a hayabusa or touring bike a more modern. I know what people say, "If you want a more modern bike, get a new bike" but I prefer a RC51 engine/ and abilities in a modern package. Also have listen to a couple videos of Jardine 2:1, with a wide stubby can that have an awesome growl.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
cool. fair enough. Mark should be able to hook you up with something your looking for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Erion Racing made a 2:1...when they were still making pipes for the RC. When I was working at a shop in Falls Church, VA while stationed in DC, I actually sold one to a guy that bought an RC from us. Looked okay, but I personally didn't like the sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts