RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone just joined. The rc51 is my first bike and also the first one made I love it. I just started having some problems with it..... when i start the bike it idles rough and then cuts off. and when i give it gas it cuts off... the only way to ride it is really with the fast idle out which I know is not good... and it also started to backfire :mad:..... I am thinking the fuel pressure regulator or need plugs... the previous owner basically had it in storage for two years.... love the v twin power..... need help to get it right

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in va... did not want to pass it up.... i was going to get a tl1000. but the fact it was the first of a great bike.... I had to get it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The first Rc51? DAMN!!!!!! Restore it, display in glass box. Go buy the TL and rag that

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lmao.... yeah the first one.... i was thinking about buying another bike and just keep the rc51 in storage.... but idk.... i just love riding it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will try and post pics of it.... only thing wrong with it is a little ding in the gas tank do to the first owner had trailer issue...only 12000 miles seem tohave been taking care of very well

·
Registered
44 Posts
The reason i asked, was because i personally know the owner of the 2000 #0001 that was used at the press release and ridden personally by Hayden and Crevier. I'm not calling you a liar i just figured there'd only be 1. And i have seen the VIN and everything. Post up pics of VIN. It'd be interesting to see if there were 2 made with the #1 VIN.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The reason i asked, was because i personally know the owner of the 2000 #0001 that was used at the press release and ridden personally by Hayden and Crevier. I'm not calling you a liar i just figured there'd only be 1. And i have seen the VIN and everything. Post up pics of VIN. It'd be interesting to see if there were 2 made with the #1 VIN.
was it in race trim at the release? Im very curious about this topic

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I were you I would think seriously about not riding that bike and putting money into getting it into mint cond. That is a pricey bike some day.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Scew storage! Put that sucka in your living room! Im joking but this really is a serious topic. You drop that thing and ding the frame etc. and its done. There can be only one, one.lol please dont hurt it. "its not IF your gonna go down, its WHEN!"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol yeah your right.... when i took it out i was so defensive on the road.... thats when i told myself i will just park it for awhile and figure out what to do. CANT LET SOMETHING STUPID HAPPEN TO THIS BIKE..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also own #000001 !?!?!?!

I own 2000 RC51 JH2SC4542YM000001 purchased brand spankin new from South Bay Motorsports in National City, California, on April 25, 2000. I still have the original bill of sale. Yes, there is more than one #1 (at least as far as VINs go).
I think it was Motorcyclist Magazine did a "First Ride" article in April 2000. In that article they noted the VIN of the test bike and speculated as to where #000001 was. I dropped them an email and told them I had it. After a few emails exchanged with them and American Honda, I learned there is more than one #000001. I will throw a picture of the VIN up this weekend for those who are skeptical.
Those of you who are astute VIN readers should be able to figure out why there was more than one #1 based on the differences between babaloos VIN and mine. It took me about a month back in 2000 to get to the bottom of it. You guys who bought new in April 2000 remember how hard it was to locate a bike and all the hype about who had the lowest VIN. It was crazy. Mine currently has less than 5k miles, akra carpon pipes, a fender eliminator, frame sliders, PC2 and slightly larger spool on the rear. Not original anymore, but I still love it like the day I got it.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Regardless of who has THE #1 RC51 both of you have very rare bikes, period. PLEASE heed the already-given advice: If possible, don't ride them. Find another RC to ride the streets, or if your prefer, to flog the corners of your favorite track with. If something happens to any of these first-run bikes (like another poster already stated: Not a question of if, but rather, when it happens and how bad the results are) their future value in terms of resale just when down the crapper...:(

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I own 2000 RC51 JH2SC4542YM000001 purchased brand spankin new from South Bay Motorsports in National City, California, on April 25, 2000. I still have the original bill of sale. Yes, there is more than one #1 (at least as far as VINs go).
I think it was Motorcyclist Magazine did a "First Ride" article in April 2000. In that article they noted the VIN of the test bike and speculated as to where #000001 was. I dropped them an email and told them I had it. After a few emails exchanged with them and American Honda, I learned there is more than one #000001. I will throw a picture of the VIN up this weekend for those who are skeptical.
Those of you who are astute VIN readers should be able to figure out why there was more than one #1 based on the differences between babaloos VIN and mine. It took me about a month back in 2000 to get to the bottom of it. You guys who bought new in April 2000 remember how hard it was to locate a bike and all the hype about who had the lowest VIN. It was crazy. Mine currently has less than 5k miles, akra carpon pipes, a fender eliminator, frame sliders, PC2 and slightly larger spool on the rear. Not original anymore, but I still love it like the day I got it.
Hey Willy, what month is stamped on your VIN?

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
I suspect it has something to do with where it was released and the emissions on the bike. I know different areas (Japan, US and Europe) all have different VIN structures. I use www.powersportspro.com to source my part numbers. There are two different listings for each year made of the RC. I have always suspected it was because of the emission. So that would me you could have multiple #1s for each year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts