RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newb to the RC51,

I am in the works of picking up a bone stock 2000 RC51 SP1. I'm planning to put an Akrapovic exhaust system on the bike, but from what I can see there is only 2002-2006 pipes still available. Now will these pipes fit on the SP1, or.......

I'm thinking they won't , and if they don't, does anyone know where I can pick up a set for the SP1. I've been searching for the last couple of days, and many tears. I just think they are so sexy! If the Akro's don't end up working out for me, I'm thinking Sato or Two Brothers, any thoughts?

Also, is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I go pick up the bike that are specific to the RC51 Sp1, or maybe specific questions I should be asking.

And lastly, is there a link to "need to do" mods for the SP1. I was keeping my fingers crossed for a SP2, but I just haven't been able to find one in mint condition like this mint, and under 1k mileage SP1 I found.

Appreciate your help and advise,

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an SP-1. The only "problem" that I would suggest you look out for is the leaking pivot weld on the gas tank. I can't think of any other common problems off the top of my head. There was no recall, but some people were able to get Honda to provide a new tank. It took mine ten years to start to leak, so I didn't bother contacting Honda on it. I am dealing with it now. I just had the bracket rewelded, but it is not quite right yet. Still leaking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Willy, I never would have even thought to look. I have to say, I love how your reply opened up several links about previous posts about the Leaking Pivot Weld.

I noticed another earlier post about swapping out a stock full system SP2 pipe for a SP1, or the other way around, and somebody had replied the two pipes don't match at the headers. I am still thinking that Slip on units may be interchangeable on the two models? I hope!! Can anyone confirm this?

Again thank you Willy, appreciate it. It's always nice to know what to look for prior to the purchase.

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Newb to the RC51,

I am in the works of picking up a bone stock 2000 RC51 SP1. I'm planning to put an Akrapovic exhaust system on the bike, but from what I can see there is only 2002-2006 pipes still available. Now will these pipes fit on the SP1, or.......

I'm thinking they won't , and if they don't, does anyone know where I can pick up a set for the SP1. I've been searching for the last couple of days, and many tears. I just think they are so sexy! If the Akro's don't end up working out for me, I'm thinking Sato or Two Brothers, any thoughts?

Also, is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I go pick up the bike that are specific to the RC51 Sp1, or maybe specific questions I should be asking.

And lastly, is there a link to "need to do" mods for the SP1. I was keeping my fingers crossed for a SP2, but I just haven't been able to find one in mint condition like this mint, and under 1k mileage SP1 I found.

Chris
You made me wonder if I will ever be able to get replacement parts for the 00-01 Akrapovic Race System in the event I do some damage. I found a few places selling complete systems, new for 1700-1900 with the carbon cans. The akrapovic part number for the fulll system is 424-2525. Who knows if the vendors actually have it in stock but they are advertisiing it. Looks like a few people are still stocking replacement connector pipes and cans too which is good for me.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
You made me wonder if I will ever be able to get replacement parts for the 00-01 Akrapovic Race System in the event I do some damage. I found a few places selling complete systems, new for 1700-1900 with the carbon cans. The akrapovic part number for the fulll system is 424-2525. Who knows if the vendors actually have it in stock but they are advertisiing it. Looks like a few people are still stocking replacement connector pipes and cans too which is good for me.
While Akrapovic has ceased making full systems for the RC51, you can still get a Ti full system from Tsukigi Racing.
I was just about to purchase that system in '08 when I found my Akrapovic full system cheaper from a closeout sale.
Makes me wonder what the power gains would have been over the Akra.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newb to the RC51,

Chris
try going to www.dan kyle.com he may have some sato! but see if u can find some mori wakie.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Willy, what companies are selling the Akrapovik full systems, I haven't been able to find any venders with them...to take that a step further I haven't been able to find anyone with a complete system of any type other than the Jardine 2-1 set-up, which I'm not really interested in based on the feed-back I've seen.

Subsailor, I'm going to check out the web site you linked, I'll keep you posted as to how it turns out.

Again, thanks for the replies, I've been looking online for about 2 weeks straight, and so far the only real thing that seems of interest is a slip-on high mount Jardine system. The gains, although not huge, seem to be pretty steady throughout the entire range

thanks again guys,

I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just looked up Tsukigi Racing.com, and sadly they only have exhaust systems full or slip-on for the SP2, nothing for the SP1.

The search continues. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a Kato full or slip-on system of any configuration, please let me know. Really, if anyone knows of a vender who has a quality full exhaust system, please let me know...

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Just looked up Tsukigi Racing.com, and sadly they only have exhaust systems full or slip-on for the SP2, nothing for the SP1.

The search continues. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a Kato full or slip-on system of any configuration, please let me know. Really, if anyone knows of a vender who has a quality full exhaust system, please let me know...

Thanks again
I'm in the same boat. Been trying to get my hands on a SATO system, at this point i'd settle for a complete moriwaki set. been checking ebay daily....no luck yet. Couple SP2 sets have popped up but that is it.:(

·
Registered
24 Posts
After you get your exhaust system, i would recomend a fuel management system of some nature aka Power Commander, put you in some race filters +1 -2 chain and sprocket conversion, Remove the pairing system, have a professional do a suspension setup for you. Just the basics as far as mods. As far as your exhaust goes, i have always stuck with the two brtohers cans and just cut them down. Thats always worked for me.

Harris makes a slip on system for it, priced at 1522.28 retail
Part number 202406

Jardine complete system 2:1 aluminum canister, satinless headpipes stainless end cap. 573.95 retail, can get 7 of them right now if people want them.

Im gonna stop right there cause that one is probly your best bang for your buck, if people are interested in it feel free to give me a call at GOLDEN TRIANGLE POWERSPORTS IN BEAUMONT TX (409)838-4746. Ask for Phillip. I can ship it anywhere in the continental US. Also I can help with other parts that are needed aftermarket for these.

AS far as the differences between the SP1 and SP2 exhaust systems, the only difference that I have been told is the exhaust gaskets. other than that I was instructed they are the same. I dont know how much truth there is to it being that I have never actually done an SP1 with SP2 exhaust I can not say exactly.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
After you get your exhaust system, i would recomend a fuel management system of some nature aka Power Commander, put you in some race filters +1 -2 chain and sprocket conversion, Remove the pairing system, have a professional do a suspension setup for you. Just the basics as far as mods. As far as your exhaust goes, i have always stuck with the two brtohers cans and just cut them down. Thats always worked for me.

Harris makes a slip on system for it, priced at 1522.28 retail
Part number 202406

Jardine complete system 2:1 aluminum canister, satinless headpipes stainless end cap. 573.95 retail, can get 7 of them right now if people want them.

Im gonna stop right there cause that one is probly your best bang for your buck, if people are interested in it feel free to give me a call at GOLDEN TRIANGLE POWERSPORTS IN BEAUMONT TX (409)838-4746. Ask for Phillip. I can ship it anywhere in the continental US. Also I can help with other parts that are needed aftermarket for these.

AS far as the differences between the SP1 and SP2 exhaust systems, the only difference that I have been told is the exhaust gaskets. other than that I was instructed they are the same. I dont know how much truth there is to it being that I have never actually done an SP1 with SP2 exhaust I can not say exactly.
Was looking at the Harris system. anyone have any experience with these? they look nice but not sure about sound and gains.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An updated post,

I've been looking for almost 7 months now for a Full System Exhaust for the SP1, and sadly finding one through any retail shop in North America, and Europe turned up only one choice, the Jardine stainless 2 into 1 system. I didn't talk to anyone in Australia, or New Zealand.

With an easy Dyno Search, you can see why I decided to hold off on the Jardine System. For the money, and bang for your buck, I agree fantastic looking pipe, but it's performance numbers were not desirable to me.

There was some information about the Harris systems on the net, I didn't find anything negative, but I don't have any personal experience either.

Ebay, might be your best shot

Good news, keep searching gts455...I got lucky and wound up landing a brand new condition - Full Titanium HRC undertail system. It's missing the compression tubing, flange, hanger brackets, and springs. I should be able to get some Titanium tubing, and have the flanges fabricated out of alluminum. The hangers and springs are readily available.

I just held the system in my hands for the first time yesterday! I also landed a bunch of motor upgrades, including a Power Commander (necessity, and available anywhere)

Diesel74136 - thanks for the advice, and if you dont mind, keep an eye here, I want to upgrade to Ohlins for my suspension, and I'll be looking for an Sp2 Swing arm as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll get pics on as soon as I can, the welds are just sooooo sexy. The pipes look more like art. They truly are bad ass!!

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
An updated post,

I've been looking for almost 7 months now for a Full System Exhaust for the SP1, and sadly finding one through any retail shop in North America, and Europe turned up only one choice, the Jardine stainless 2 into 1 system. I didn't talk to anyone in Australia, or New Zealand.

With an easy Dyno Search, you can see why I decided to hold off on the Jardine System. For the money, and bang for your buck, I agree fantastic looking pipe, but it's performance numbers were not desirable to me.

There was some information about the Harris systems on the net, I didn't find anything negative, but I don't have any personal experience either.

Ebay, might be your best shot

Good news, keep searching gts455...I got lucky and wound up landing a brand new condition - Full Titanium HRC undertail system. It's missing the compression tubing, flange, hanger brackets, and springs. I should be able to get some Titanium tubing, and have the flanges fabricated out of alluminum. The hangers and springs are readily available.

I just held the system in my hands for the first time yesterday! I also landed a bunch of motor upgrades, including a Power Commander (necessity, and available anywhere)

Diesel74136 - thanks for the advice, and if you dont mind, keep an eye here, I want to upgrade to Ohlins for my suspension, and I'll be looking for an Sp2 Swing arm as well.

Yes the search continues. That HRC system sounds pretty cool, would like to see some pics as well. Would still be nice to find out what kind of gains this Harris system is putting out. congratulations on that find though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
HRC Exhaust pics

Finally got back into to town, so I took a couple pics to post up. The headers are 2" in dia. BA. Carbon guards on both pipes. Both sort of follow the shape of the RC51's tail, and are angled together. Sorry about the pics, they are kinda grainy. They look best as thumbnails

Now to track down a SP2 frame so I can mount these. If anyone can help sus one out I'm listening. Pulling the engine after I send this off to start the rebuild. I can't wait to hear this kitty purr.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
To mtslesse: I have a '00 SP-1 w/Sato low mounts ... originally got the system at Bayside Performance, Fraser St. near Marine Dr. (www.baysideperformance.ca) and had to have it replaced June '09 after I was hit by a texting driver ... however, I just looked at their site, and although they list other Sato products, there are no exhaust systems ... I'd call them to see if they can still order them ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts