RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Beginner track day guy and I just picked up a 2000 RC51. (was on the dream bike list)

In order for it to pass tech I need the kill switch to work.

From what I can tell the handle bar part works. So here I am.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I diagnose the root cause?

I looked on the forum and did not find anything

Thank you

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct the Kill switch does not stop the engine when it is running

I drove 7 hours to pick it up and noticed this and two other items upon inspection

The mechanic took a look at the switch and said that it was working at the handle bar and that this issue was after the switch and it would take a more time to diagnose. I choose to take a $200 discount and figure it out myself. I wanted to get back home before midnight.

The other two items
1) Manuel switch has been added to activate the cooling fans
2) Left tail brake like does not work (not a big deal for a track day bike)

Thank you for your guidance

Scott

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
the kill switch connects the black/white and black in the harness.

with the bike running, if you unplug the killswitch assembly does the bike stop?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
see if you can find the BAS relay. it's in the tail and will have a couple of reds and a couple of blacks on it. see if it looks tampered with (extra wires or splices)

unplug that with the bike running. if the bike stops, try replacing the BAS relay with the high beam relay. it's very unlikely but if the BAS relay is failed closed your killswitch won't work.

after putting the high beam relay in its place, see if the system behaves normally, if it does you need a new relay.

do you have a multimeter? because a few tests would be useful to do here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Wibbly

I could not get back on it yesterday. Kids Hockey tournament.. They kept winning and got the gold..

I will likely get back to it this evening. Great ideas and thanks.

And yes I am pretty good with a multimeter.

Scott

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Let me know if what I suggested takes you in the right direction.

If it doesn't I'll probably just get you to call me and we will figure it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wibbly

I sent you a PM.. After re reading your steps I did not follow them 100%.
I actually swapped the relays (vs trying it with the one unplugged) and I still have a kill switch that does not work.... yet:)

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After a great call and diagnostic tests with Wibbly we established that my problem is somewhere within the wiring in the rear wiring harness. After the call I removed the harness and took off all of the tape and casings and I found a few spots where (mostly green) wires had got hot and melted. Other then idiot previous owner hacking at this, I think the root cause is one of the two main ground wires from the negative battery post was disconnected. So with some time, this harness is repairable but I would like to see if I can find a good used one. So PM me if you have a rear wiring harness for a 2000.. Thanks Scott

Also, if someone has a good wiring diagram for this harness that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW updates for all, Wibbly helped me diagnose the electrical problem (Previous owner butchered the rear wiring when adding in an LED tail light and a bunch of the wires melted together) , Thanks to John for sending me a used tail harness. I was out for two full days last weekend at Calabogie... No issues, she ran like a charm and I got lot's of cudos for having such a bike back out and on the track. I had one faster guy who talked to me Saturday evening say "Every time I came up behind you I had to stay for a while to hear the wonderful exhaust notes that that RC makes"

Scott

Next: Now to set myself up to monitor my lap times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts