RC51 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 2000 rc51 for a very good price with some awesome parts and high milage . I'm fairly certain it needs a valve inspection and the rotors are warped . Planning on making it as oem as possible and keeping 03 as the one I mod.

Now on the test ride the the bike warms up and then shuts off . You cycle the key and kill switch and then start it and it comes right back on doesn't shut off again ... could the coils be causing this when they get warm ? CDI? I know its older and has alot of miles so maybe redoing all the electrical components isn't such a bad idea but I'd like to know what exactly is causing it . Any thoughts?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was looking at that bike too, but you got there before me...the parts were worth the price alone, if everything was in good shape!

Not sure about the dying and re-starting, but you can check the primary and secondary on the coils. Also check all ground points, and connectors for corrosion and loose wires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at that bike too, but you got there before me...the parts were worth the price alone, if everything was in good shape!

Not sure about the dying and re-starting, but you can check the primary and secondary on the coils. Also check all ground points, and connectors for corrosion and loose wires.
I'm thinking could warm up with a bad wire maybe and shut down you cycle key and turn it back on and it's good . Front right rotor was warped too . I'm going to take the axis irons I have on my 1krr and throw those on it since that other bike needs to be refreshed before I ride it back on track again . But the bike is very solid and the dude was super cool man. This one's gonna be a mostly oem build and the 03 will be my "mod" bike.

I have spare coils rectifiers and a cdi box. Just don't know if they are the same on the sp1 and sp2 ??

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had similar problems with my ‘03. It would randomly and mysteriously shut down while riding and then come back on. This is a bike that had sat unridden for many years before I got it.
I replaced the battery with a fresh one but still had the issue. So, I went through the electrical connectors and fuses with a burnishing tool and cleaned/checked for tightness. So far the problem has not returned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had similar problems with my ‘03. It would randomly and mysteriously shut down while riding and then come back on. This is a bike that had sat unridden for many years before I got it.
I replaced the battery with a fresh one but still had the issue. So, I went through the electrical connectors and fuses with a burnishing tool and cleaned/checked for tightness. So far the problem has not returned.
Sounds like a pretty good place to start. I'll be tearing into it this weekend and I'll post my findings if any . Hope it's nothing crazy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm thinking could warm up with a bad wire maybe and shut down you cycle key and turn it back on and it's good . Front right rotor was warped too . I'm going to take the axis irons I have on my 1krr and throw those on it since that other bike needs to be refreshed before I ride it back on track again . But the bike is very solid and the dude was super cool man. This one's gonna be a mostly oem build and the 03 will be my "mod" bike.

I have spare coils rectifiers and a cdi box. Just don't know if they are the same on the sp1 and sp2 ??
Hey, you got the 03 from with those spare parts. Go to Honda parts nation.com and they the part numbers for all years. Just have to cross reference years to be sure. As far as the warming up and shutting off, that’s what happened to the 03. It did it several times before the Cdi failed. Search on this site about CDI and you’ll find that me and Wibbly had a discussion. I checked all the grounds and they were good. I checked all sensors that could caused the problem. See the manual that was with the bike and the copy of the wiring schematic. Basically it was doing the same thing as yours… then finally the Cdi failed from what I believe was the coils. I finally purchased and installed a new generator/alternator and a mosfet RR to elevate any future problem. I fixed the old one and that works… but that thread with Wibbly will tell why the CDI fails. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, you got the 03 from with those spare parts. Go to Honda parts nation.com and they the part numbers for all years. Just have to cross reference years to be sure. As far as the warming up and shutting off, that’s what happened to the 03. It did it several times before the Cdi failed. Search on this site about CDI and you’ll find that me and Wibbly had a discussion. I checked all the grounds and they were good. I checked all sensors that could caused the problem. See the manual that was with the bike and the copy of the wiring schematic. Basically it was doing the same thing as yours… then finally the Cdi failed from what I believe was the coils. I finally purchased and installed a new generator/alternator and a mosfet RR to elevate any future problem. I fixed the old one and that works… but that thread with Wibbly will tell why the CDI fails. Hope that helps.
Thanks man ! That's the exact path I was taking you even hooked me up with a spare coil on plug kit I think . I have that and new could a new stator a new rectifier so I'm going through the same thing checking all the plugs on the harness and changing all that stuff out . Still don't have the 03 back ! The dealer still has it im at the point where I'm just going to go pick it up because they suck !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks man ! That's the exact path I was taking you even hooked me up with a spare coil on plug kit I think . I have that and new could a new stator a new rectifier so I'm going through the same thing checking all the plugs on the harness and changing all that stuff out . Still don't have the 03 back ! The dealer still has it im at the point where I'm just going to go pick it up because they suck !
Sorry to hear that… I want to hear how the track days go. Look forward to your post

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bypass the BAS and see if it clears up. connect the red and green wires in the 3 pin connector under the rider's seat on the left side.
Will do once it starts coming back together right now its getting torn down to be gone through as much as possible. I'm a little old spent some time last night ordering all the bolts washers grommets and whatnot to replace everything I could find with new.

·
Registered
2002 RC51
223 Posts
Bit off topic, but Gonzo you checked out the probolt website yet??
I did what your doing replacing alot of old/worn OEM bolts before I found the probolt site.. now I wish I had ordered a bit of their hardware instead. That website is dangerous lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bit off topic, but Gonzo you checked out the probolt website yet??
I did what your doing replacing alot of old/worn OEM bolts before I found the probolt site.. now I wish I had ordered a bit of their hardware instead. That website is dangerous lol
Well now that you said that I'm going to have to check it out.... I feel like there will be substantial damage to my account 🤣🤣

·
Registered
2002 RC51
223 Posts
Haha I think I've got a few hundred bucks worth of titanium hardware sitting in my shopping cart there..

Dangerous part is you can list bolts by your bike on their site so you find all sorts of "bits" I don't exactly need!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts