RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched but didn't find any posts with my exact symptoms. Admittedly, i'm not the best 'searcher' so sorry if there is another post I can refer to.

2001 SP1, no power commander, when I turn the key to on, everything acts as normal: tach does it's dance, I can hear the pump priming, but when I press the starter button, absolutely nothing happens. No flickering of the instrument lights, the engine does not try to turn, just absolutely nothing.
I checked the fuse on the left side of the frame by where my knee would be, looks good, even put the spare in and nothing. I checked the other 2 fuses in the tail section, both look fine and used the spare in both spots with same results. Kill switch is in the run position. I took apart the assembly with the switch and starter button and nothing looks out of the ordinary as far as I can tell. I checked the two small connections right there at the starter/switch assembly and they look fine.

I tried my damned-est to push start on my own but on a flat surface in the florida heat, I couldnt get her going.

Oh, and this was all of a sudden too. I took her to run errands today, went to the bank and started fine when I came out. Went about 15 miles to Cycle gear on the highway and when i came out of there she wouldnt budge.

So at this point i'm assuming there is a wiring issue somewhere?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Could be the starter relay or starter fuse. You have to remove the tail section to access it, on the left side of the sub-frame. You might have a spare fuse right in that same area, on top as I remember. Don't confuse the two.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be the starter relay or starter fuse. You have to remove the tail section to access it, on the left side of the sub-frame. You might have a spare fuse right in that same area, on top as I remember. Don't confuse the two.
I took the tail section off there in the parking lot of cycle gear, i checked that fuse on the left side of the subframe right next to the regulator and it was good. Replaced it with the spare for giggles and still the same.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the relay clicking when you push the start button? It should.
No clicks. absolutely nothing. Isn't this the relay back on the subframe by the regulator? Those connections didnt look dirty or corroded or anything. Put the spare fuse in and nothing changed.

Check your kick stand switch circuit too:eek:
But even in neutral it should and has started with the kickstand down.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Not if it is shorted....not saying this is it but should be given a once over. You have a meter to test it?

Take this opportunity to dab some dielectric grease to some of these connection, this will help keep corrosion down.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not if it is shorted....not saying this is it but should be given a once over. You have a meter to test it?

Take this opportunity to dab some dielectric grease to some of these connection, this will help keep corrosion down.

Good Luck.
Thanks. I don't have a meter but I foresee one in my very near future.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For those interested, I went out tonight after work to remove the harness and assess the damage. Turns out whatever critter it was only chewed the wiring from the clutch side controls to the harness, so that got me thinking and I checked the headlight fuse which turns out was blown, replaced it and she fired right up.
At least the towing was free.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I had the same thing happen. came from mis-routing that wad of harness wires by the left radiator. The edges of the rad chaffed the insulation and gave me a couple codes, and some intermittent stalling before I found it. Looked just like yours.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That sucks but you could have had a shop look at it and then want to charge you a insane amount to rewire your bike. Having skills to do work yourself will safe you a ton of money over a the years.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
That sucks but you could have had a shop look at it and then want to charge you a insane amount to rewire your bike. Having skills to do work yourself will safe you a ton of money over a the years.
And....come back here for tips if you get too deep.;):D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I had the same thing happen. came from mis-routing that wad of harness wires by the left radiator. The edges of the rad chaffed the insulation and gave me a couple codes, and some intermittent stalling before I found it. Looked just like yours.
That could definitely have been it too. My RC isn't the most "pure" of RC's and has some aftermarket fairings on it. I just stuffed the wiring into the side so it very well may have just rubbed to that point.

She runs fine with out the controls connected, just no horn or turn signals or high beam obviously, but 10$ in supplies and a little bit of time and I'll have it all fixed.

I'm more mad at myself for not checking ALL the fuses in the harness! It could have saved me a lot of time and sweat while trying to push start in the Florida heat then waiting 2.5 hours for a tow. It may have shorted back out on the way home (10 min motorcycle ride) but I would have at least been at home where I could be more thorough.

·
Registered
24 Posts
2000 RVT wont start

I've searched but didn't find any posts with my exact symptoms. Admittedly, i'm not the best 'searcher' so sorry if there is another post I can refer to.

2001 SP1, no power commander, when I turn the key to on, everything acts as normal: tach does it's dance, I can hear the pump priming, but when I press the starter button, absolutely nothing happens. No flickering of the instrument lights, the engine does not try to turn, just absolutely nothing.
I checked the fuse on the left side of the frame by where my knee would be, looks good, even put the spare in and nothing. I checked the other 2 fuses in the tail section, both look fine and used the spare in both spots with same results. Kill switch is in the run position. I took apart the assembly with the switch and starter button and nothing looks out of the ordinary as far as I can tell. I checked the two small connections right there at the starter/switch assembly and they look fine.

I tried my damned-est to push start on my own but on a flat surface in the florida heat, I couldnt get her going.

Oh, and this was all of a sudden too. I took her to run errands today, went to the bank and started fine when I came out. Went about 15 miles to Cycle gear on the highway and when i came out of there she wouldnt budge.

So at this point i'm assuming there is a wiring issue somewhere?

Same problem here. It has been 4 months now three mechanics cant find any fault reallly need help
[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys not having starting problems however I need to check the timing on my RC 2002 anyone done this before. The manual calls for a timing light any suggestions?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts