RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have no clue how but my shock has blown all its guts allover the back of my bike, I have found a stocker and its on its way, My question is how do I get this thing off and hold the bike up, I only have a swingarm stand

·
Registered
110 Posts
shock removal

Ok I have no clue how but my shock has blown all its guts allover the back of my bike, I have found a stocker and its on its way, My question is how do I get this thing off and hold the bike up, I only have a swingarm stand

1.remove the lower fairing
2.fix the bike to a bike lift if you have one, other vise stabilize it best you can
3. put a jack under the engine, lift up the bike intil you can feel the back it hoovering, the best way is on a lift, strap the front down and lift the bike under the engine
4. undo the bolts, holding the shock
5. remove the bolts, take out the shock
6. take steps 3 + 2
7. put on the lower fairing

it´s vital that the bike is secured, that can be done in many ways, some scaffold bars, 2 by 4´s, leant against a wall, what ever will do the trick

maby get a mate to hold the balance of the bike?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
The best way is to use a paddock stand that lifts the bike from the swingarm pivot.
Otherwise, you may be able to used your rear stand to lift it up and onto some jack stands under the foot pegs.
Or possibly a piece of rebar to slide through the swingarm bolt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I have one of the sears bike jacks its was cool with the wifes help and some tie downs, repalced the shock and all is up and running again.....Thanks again it gave me a idea of where to start!

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I've had a seal blow on another bike.
Went to crank the bike to go to lunch and there was pool of oil under the bike.
Needless to say, the handling was a bit "loose" on the ride home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL I could not figure where that weird green ol had come from....till I saw it on the valve body....I wish I had the extra funds for a good aftermarket but all in all for my speed I guess the newer stocker will do fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts