RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I bought a 2001 RC,as the title says it has about 26k on it. I just started riding it a few weeks ago, and it sat before that.
Aside from the Oil and filter change what should I expect to be replacing soon? I already had to put new rubber on it.
It has a PC3, It's up one tooth on the rear and it's GOT TO BE down one in the front. It needs a new chain and sprocket set for sure.
I think I'm going to go with a SuperSprox rear, RK chain and I'm open to suggestions for the front.
I'd also like opinions for gearing. I think I keep seeing 15/40 but I'm open.
It gets HOT here in Sacramento and my last 996 would hit 235 some days,
I want to do a SPAL conversion, and would like to know how many fans I could fit in there. I've seen a couple guys do 2x 5.2's but I've also seen one 6.5 in addition.
I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert here, I like to handle things proactively so I would appreciate the help.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Well at 36K miles (and at 16K miles intervals), you're looking at a valve clearance check/adjustment.
Every two years, change out the coolant.
On average, the typical final ratios are 15F/41 to 43R.
When you have the side cowls off, spin your fans and listen for any rubbing, squeaks, or tightness that may indicate fans rubbing on the radiators or possible fan bearings going bad.

The best thing to do, is to download the service manual here:
http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Start with the items Sub listed I would also change the fork fluid too.

The bikes are bullet proof for the most part. Stator and fuel pumps are what I see on here a lot. I believe the fuel pumps are due to the fact no one changes their fuel filters out with the regularity they should.

First things first...get the manual.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great advice and that got the ol' brain goin. I actually have the service manual on my laptop and forgot about it. I was looking for more anecdotal stuff (i.e. the radiators explode at 32k etc)
Here's what I'm thinking;
I'm going to get new coolant, fans, chain and sprockets and just do it all at once since I'll have the fairings off. I should get new air filters too. I just don't know when the last owner did all of this.
Is there a thread here outlining the manual fan switch mod?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
After the addition of engine ice I didn't feel a need to even look at changing the fans. There is a link, a recent one with I believe VFR fans??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear you, but the Sacramento valley isn't Indy. We have days over 109 here and at that point in the year anything below 100 feels cool.
The Superhawk hated it, and at 230 the bike feels like a turd.
My bike's gotten up there already this year.
I hate cooling issues. While I don't expect it to overheat outright I don't like it getting that hot.
Since it's an SP1 I'll be taking a look at the 185 Nissan Temp switch Mod first and foremost. Then Pusher Spals, 3 way switch and an additive. It may be overkill but the lower I can get it to run the better.
I can't believe in a decade no company has jumped on ABS scoops with a heat shield of some sort. I love Carbon and Glass but there's a definite market here.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Have you tried the engine ice??

I would start with the more economical first then work your way into the modifications you are contemplating one by one after...everyone knows what you are after...cooler nuts in the summer!:D

The tooling build cost alone for this would be around $65 grand for a two cavitity tool made of P20 from China (The tool may need a couple slides to get the angled profile needed) but the part cost would be less than say $0.35~ $0.40 each. At $50 bucks a set...you may have something there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If your looking for rad scoops see if Brett can help you out. Here is his contact info.

TurnOne Carbon Australia
P.O.Box 25,
Bundoora 3083
Victoria.
AUSTRALIA.
Ph: 0416355287
email: [email protected]

If your looking for fins then mark can help you out @ http://www.carbonpartz.net/

He is a fellow forum member and his work is top notch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, I saw my last post with my own eyes.
In response to this: Madbuyer, Let's say it is 65Grand for the tooling. At 49.10 profit per piece that would mean that 1323 units would need to be sold. Personally I would pay $100.00 for an ABS unit with a heat shield. That takes it down to around 660 units sold to break even. That seems more feasible to me.
And Rugid, I'm very familiar with TurnOne. He makes beautiful products, and I can't take that away from him. I may end up getting a set of those scoops. MY thing is I don't see the need for them to be Carbon fiber. Noone sees them, and glass would be sufficient.
The price point is certainly fair for a carbon piece. I just don't think it needs to be carbon. It's directing air, noone sees it, it's not structural etc.

I did a full synthetic oil, and filter change last night. The oil looked good and relatively fresh so I'm pretty happy about that. The coolant was a little low, and looked like shit.
I'll be doing a drain and flush here REAL soon so I'll be including the water wetter/ etc.
I will also be doing the temp switch mod. At 27 bucks it just makes sense.
We'll see where we sit after that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I'm with ya. That's the definite rub, and why the pieces have been made out of Carbon, and some parts Glass. You can get away with one guy and a couple molds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the 185 Temp switch mod, and I have to say that I'm not sure I'll need much more. It was in the 90's in traffic today and I never saw anything above 190 degrees. The mod took about $36.00 and 30 minutes. Jzanutto over at Speedzilla deserves some props for figgerin this one out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike's parked for the interim. Chain had a LOT of slack in it so I pulled some out, then it came right back in a week. That's enough of a sign for me. Wahwaaah.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fact that me makes glass ones for 340.00 euros is pretty appealing until I actually converted it $480.00 not incl shipping is better spent (for the moment) This is an SP1 anyhow. I found another solution, rather, I defined another solution.
Little r&d time and we'll see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I bought a set of radiator scoops from Brett at Turn-One this year.
They were only $295 plus $45 shipping. Total, $335 to my doorstep.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That changes things a bit. Apparently that's my value point. I came across something yesterday that's disturbing. I got my new chain and pulled everything apart and was surprised to find that the front sprocket bolt was tightened but merely bottomed out and the sprocket was flopping around on the splines. That doesn't seem right to say the least.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts