RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen I need help here.

2002 RC51 with powercomander

Rode fine and after sitting for about 3 weeks it want power up. When you turn key there is absolutely nothing happening
no lights no fuel pump noise... nothing ....

**** Dont know if it makes a difference but the power light on powercommander does NOT light up as well.

So far I checked the battery.. hold decent charge 13.05 .. (I even tried to connect battery tender while on the bike)
All fuses are fine, main fuse next to battery and all fuses in the fuse box on the left side of the bike.

The season is almost over i would like to squeeze few more runs out of it
Any ideas ?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Battery voltage is low. It should be 14.2. Make sure battery connection to the wire harness is tight. Recharge battery. With a battery tender on, and a solid connection, the bike should immediately have enough power to at least light the dash and power the fuel pump. Been there (a day ago), done that.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Assuming you've checked all the usuals (fuses, kill switch, etc) already - how old is the battery itself?

Just because the battery shows voltage doesn't mean it actually has enough juice left in it to function properly (in a nutshell, more or less).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure on the age of the battery as the bike was bought last summer.
All winter battery was on the tender in room temperature and consistently showed good charge over 13.6s

Connecting tender to battery on the bike would not give enough juice to at least power the cluster ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would put a "real" battery charger on it if you have one. I doubt the tender will provide enough power for the cluster and the fuel pump which should try to prime right away when you turn the key on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Recommend pulling another battery and swapping it in. Pull one from
A car if you have to and just hold your terminals on there. If you get what you would normally expect, then there ya go.
That's the easiest/cheapest way and where I would recommend starting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another easy test you can try is to put your voltage meter across the battery, note the voltage, then with the meter still connected, turn the key on. Of the voltage doesn't change, it's not the battery. If it drops way off, the battery is toast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All that's left at this point is to start at the battery and check for power from point to point down the wiring harness. Print off a wiring diagram so you know where to go after the starter relay/main fuse. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
double check the main fuse on the starter relay.

it is sitting below the red connector that plugs in there. this is the main fuse for the whole bike.

if that fuse is good, then jumper out the ignition cylinder (follow the harness from the ignition cylinder, unplug it, then jump the two red wires in the connector)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts