RC51 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little torn here at the moment, so I'm gauging potential interest in selling my bike. I don't have a price in mind yet but I'll give some of the specifics and go from there.
The bike is a 2003 SP-2, I purchased from the original owner four years ago. Current mileage is 3389 mi (not a typo). I spent a lot of time making sure everything on the bike is mechanically sound. It has been maintained (mechanically) meticulously since I took ownership. It runs very well, and to my knowledge has never been down. Never raced, and never stunted. Below is a list of all the services and modifications that I can think of off the top of my head:
Calipers rebuilt front and rear
New braided lines front (Speigler double down from master) (purchased DK)
New Brembo front radial master (purchased DK)
New braided clutch line (Speigler) (purchased DK)
New clutch slave
New Brembo radial clutch master (purchased DK)
New rear master
Coolant flush and replacement (300 miles)
Sparkplugs (300 miles)
Oil change (5 miles)
New Dunlop Q3+ (300 miles) (190/55)
New fuel pump
Injectors ultrasonic cleaned
New Cush drive
New battery and battery tender
New fork seals, fluid and service
New 520 chain and 15/41 gears (purchased DK)
Vortex gas cap
2 bros high mount exhaust/ hangers ( I know, not my choice either but that's what it came with)
PC3usb
Under tail kit (I think Hotbodies)
Flapper mod (w/ DK block off)
Pair mod (w/ DK block off)
K&N filters
Soft Rev mod (5 miles)
New relays
I'm missing a few things but I'll post as I remember. The bike came to me in decent shape cosmetically, and despite the low mileage I would want to make sure that it is fully disclosed what everything looks like, I'm not interested in getting into a debate with someone saying I misled them. Most all plastics are in good shape. Right side has a crack. A few dings and dents in the tank. I lost the rear seat cowl and have been trying for a year to get a replacement. There is some pitting and corrosion on the frame, swingarm, and wheels. It was more important to me when I took possession to have everything perfect mechanically, and worry about cosmetics later. I have a rear pitbull and front triple tree stand that would come with it, probably a box full of original parts that came off, the battery tender, a pair of frame sliders new in box, and I'm sure a handful of other things I'm forgetting as well. It's clean title in hand. Honestly speaking despite the low mileage, this is probably not the bike for someone looking to do a restore to original. As much as I love riding it, I'm not getting the opportunity to use it as much as it deserves, and instead of just hanging on to it I'd rather see it go to a good home. I'm only posting it for sale on this forum because I don't feel like fielding a million phone calls from people that don't know what it is. At this point I'm gauging interest and open to discussing everything about the bike in great detail. I'm not trying to fire sale it or give it away, I have a pretty good idea of what it's worth. But I am not looking to get an unreasonable amount of money for it. Fair is fair. The bike is currently located in Colorado. If anyone is seriously interested, I am serious about selling it and I'm not here to waste anyone's time. If not, I'll keep it and probably end up dumping more money into it and riding it when I can. I'm not interested in parting it out. Please message me if you are interested and expect to have a handful of detailed conversations. I will attempt to figure out how to get photos up and post them in another post below, or email them to an interested individual. Thanks for looking and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Feedback is always appreciated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
After seeing the pictures and overall condition I'd say the miles are pretty sus. Maybe the PO swapped the dash because that bike has more than 3K on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not. the original owner was my best friend he owned it the duration of its life before he finally sold it to me. It sat on the coast in south texas and the salt air ate away at the frame and rims. I'm happy to confirm all of the numbers will match up. And this is also why I was very adamant in the initial post that It is not in good shape cosmetically. I have no intention of trying to mislead anyone as to the cosmetic condition of the bike, and that's why I spent time trying to openly disclose everything. It is not intended to be advertised as a low mile bike despite the low mileage. I purchased it with 2400mi on it, after witnessing it sit unused for years. I would be happy to provide any interested buyer with the former owners contact information to confirm all of this.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not accusing you of being deceptive. There are always folks here looking to buy so you might be able to hook up with someone. You could possible do some clean up on the bike to make is more appealing like cleaning the rattle can paint off the exhaust cans and heel guards. Wheels can always be repainted. The frame would be a much larger undertaking. Aluminum oxide can be cleaned off with elbow grease. Good luck finding a fairing. Here is your competition.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a little torn here at the moment, so I'm gauging potential interest in selling my bike. I don't have a price in mind yet but I'll give some of the specifics and go from there.
The bike is a 2003 SP-2, I purchased from the original owner four years ago. Current mileage is 3389 mi (not a typo). I spent a lot of time making sure everything on the bike is mechanically sound. It has been maintained (mechanically) meticulously since I took ownership. It runs very well, and to my knowledge has never been down. Never raced, and never stunted. Below is a list of all the services and modifications that I can think of off the top of my head:
Calipers rebuilt front and rear
New braided lines front (Speigler double down from master) (purchased DK)
New Brembo front radial master (purchased DK)
New braided clutch line (Speigler) (purchased DK)
New clutch slave
New Brembo radial clutch master (purchased DK)
New rear master
Coolant flush and replacement (300 miles)
Sparkplugs (300 miles)
Oil change (5 miles)
New Dunlop Q3+ (300 miles) (190/55)
New fuel pump
Injectors ultrasonic cleaned
New Cush drive
New battery and battery tender
New fork seals, fluid and service
New 520 chain and 15/41 gears (purchased DK)
Vortex gas cap
2 bros high mount exhaust/ hangers ( I know, not my choice either but that's what it came with)
PC3usb
Under tail kit (I think Hotbodies)
Flapper mod (w/ DK block off)
Pair mod (w/ DK block off)
K&N filters
Soft Rev mod (5 miles)
New relays
I'm missing a few things but I'll post as I remember. The bike came to me in decent shape cosmetically, and despite the low mileage I would want to make sure that it is fully disclosed what everything looks like, I'm not interested in getting into a debate with someone saying I misled them. Most all plastics are in good shape. Right side has a crack. A few dings and dents in the tank. I lost the rear seat cowl and have been trying for a year to get a replacement. There is some pitting and corrosion on the frame, swingarm, and wheels. It was more important to me when I took possession to have everything perfect mechanically, and worry about cosmetics later. I have a rear pitbull and front triple tree stand that would come with it, probably a box full of original parts that came off, the battery tender, a pair of frame sliders new in box, and I'm sure a handful of other things I'm forgetting as well. It's clean title in hand. Honestly speaking despite the low mileage, this is probably not the bike for someone looking to do a restore to original. As much as I love riding it, I'm not getting the opportunity to use it as much as it deserves, and instead of just hanging on to it I'd rather see it go to a good home. I'm only posting it for sale on this forum because I don't feel like fielding a million phone calls from people that don't know what it is. At this point I'm gauging interest and open to discussing everything about the bike in great detail. I'm not trying to fire sale it or give it away, I have a pretty good idea of what it's worth. But I am not looking to get an unreasonable amount of money for it. Fair is fair. The bike is currently located in Colorado. If anyone is seriously interested, I am serious about selling it and I'm not here to waste anyone's time. If not, I'll keep it and probably end up dumping more money into it and riding it when I can. I'm not interested in parting it out. Please message me if you are interested and expect to have a handful of detailed conversations. I will attempt to figure out how to get photos up and post them in another post below, or email them to an interested individual. Thanks for looking and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. Feedback is always appreciated.
I'm curious of the color and the miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are correct. It definitely was not stored correctly. I took it in like that because it was the bike I've always wanted and never owned. I was really more interested in riding it than how it looked at the time.

·
Registered
2002 RC51
56 Posts
Whats colors did they come in 03
Same as above for 03, that was the only US version. The black tail vs the silver tail is a easy way to spot a 03.

The wings were slightly different thicknesses I believe but I'm not an RC pro just yet so I can't tell and difference there by looking.. lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same as above for 03, that was the only US version. The black tail vs the silver tail is a easy way to spot a 03.

The wings were slightly different thicknesses I believe but I'm not an RC pro just yet so I can't tell and difference there by looking.. lol
I understand lol,does your have the 5 spoke wheels.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here’s a few pictures so that you can see the differences. Top to bottom, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘03, ‘04. The ‘05 and ‘06 were black. European bikes had different color schemes and the decals read VTR vs RVT.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
2002 RC51
56 Posts
Sorry, not trying to threadjack here.

So factory 02's never came with the Honda decal on the bottom side fairings then?

Good to know if not, I thought my 02 was missing them

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry, not trying to threadjack here.

So factory 02's never came with the Honda decal on the bottom side fairings then?

Good to know if not, I thought my 02 was missing them
Yes I believe that is correct, no HONDA stickers on the 02 lowers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts