RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a 2004 Nicky Hayden RC 51 for 10 years, never an issue with the bike. Now, bike won't start with push button starter. Replaced battery with new lithium. Kick stand safety switch ok, clutch safety switch seems ok. Thought is was solenoid so I replaced it and still not starting.
Shorted the solenoid with pliers and bike started right up and ran great. Bike "hums" when key turns to on position. Starter button dims headlight but no solenoid click. Any ideas on what is going on with this thing? 4 hours of electrical testing and still no ideas of the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After 8 hours of checking switches and wiring over three weekends we finally found the culprit. Underneath the front fairing several inches down from the throttle was a frayed wire. How nice would that have been to be the first spot to check and save so many hours.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Lemme guess. The yellow/red lol.

Sorry I wish I saw this post I could have tipped you off a lot sooner.

·
Registered
523 Posts
After 8 hours of checking switches and wiring over three weekends we finally found the culprit. Underneath the front fairing several inches down from the throttle was a frayed wire. How nice would that have been to be the first spot to check and save so many hours.
It is called "bonding with your bike" :grin2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts