RC51 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, looking to get a little insight before a tackle my problem or send it to my mechanic;

- 3 weeks ago was riding and my gas light came one and off a couple of times

- Made my way to the nearest gas station about 10km away

- While riding my bike died and I was able to coast into a nearby parking lot

- Called CAA who provided me with more gas (made sure it was premium)

- Tried to start the bike but wouldn't start

- Tried to bump start but wouldn't start

- Tried to start with choke on/off, and a combination of throttle open and closed (desperate at this point)

- Nothing worked. Had the bike towed home where it sits now.

- Checked codes, and code 9 (IAT sensor) comes up. Inspected it and looks fine. While checking codes the gas light came on however there is gas in the tank (not much though, but maybe not enough???

- I can hear the fuel pump prime

- Bike tries to turn over, but no spark

What I've done so far;

• Disconnected PC but no change
  • Checked battery and voltage is good

That's as far as I got. Part of me wants to add more gas and see if it starts, or should I just go ahead and start checking the spark plugs, coils, and go from there??? Bike was running fine before this happened.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
your spark plugs and coils won't spontaneously fail

in fact nothing will.

if you ran it dry the pump may have just lost prime

fill the tank full, toggle the kill switch on and off over and over again until you hear the pump catch prime (the pitch will change)

start as normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your spark plugs and coils won't spontaneously fail

in fact nothing will.

if you ran it dry the pump may have just lost prime

fill the tank full, toggle the kill switch on and off over and over again until you hear the pump catch prime (the pitch will change)

start as normal.
CAA put about 5 liters of gas already. I'll try and add a little more as it can't hurt...hope thats all it is, I miss riding it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should be able to go further than 10km when your gas light first comes on.
I have made it home from work when my light first comes on, which is 30km.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should be able to go further than 10km when your gas light first comes on.
I have made it home from work when my light first comes on, which is 30km.
Just in case I added more gas this morning, but gas isn't the issue. I can hear the pump prime so my next step is pulling the plugs to see what shape they are in and go from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sooo I started doing more research and it looks like the gas issue is a red herring. I found another forum thread that looks to have the same issue as me that mimic'd low or empty gas. My gas light started faintly flashing before the bike stalled out and the FI light came on. It would seem I have an electrical gremlin. The headlight fuse is good, but going to check the rest. The bike only has 8000km and never ridden hard so hopefully it isn't something grandios.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got around to doing more diagnosis. I checked relays and fuses and they seem good, checked the top over sensor and still not firing, and finally pulled one of the plugs and it was wet and fouled. I'm going to change the plugs but not sure if this is the cause or the symptom of when I tried to start it after I was low on gas. In any case I will replace them and see if I'm just a schmuck and flooded it or if I still have another problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plugs changed and still nothing. I'm leaning towards the CDI box from what I've read but not sure how to check it. Any advice?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts