RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aye fellas,
Huuuuuuuh….. having a hard time at the moment. NO SPARK!!!! When I turn the key on and turn the kill switch on the dash board does not do the sequence of operation before preparing to start. For instance like it’s not wrapping forward then back to zero like prime time. Before starting bike. I pulled the plug at the rear and checked for spark well, it would only spark once every like 3 revolutions. So it’s almost like the ecu is not coming on. I decided to check spark on the front plug and I had spark every revolution turn. I put the plug back in and tried to pop it off then the rear started sparking naturally. Attempted to pop the bike off with small amount of gas in throttle body and it wanted to fire off but then lost spark again and gage was not wrapping forward then to zero again. Almost like the ecu is not preparing its self for start up. I’ve checked all fuse connections, all my relays are sounding, it’s like it’s not preparing for lift off!! Once the sequence of operations works it will spark. I’m just not sure if my ecu is powering. I have the 12v to the black white wire. Also to the cdi. Cdi works. HELP NEEDED

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
you won't have spark if the ECU isn't powered.

the way the bike work is the kill switch and bank angle sensor control the bank angle relay. this relay powers the ECU.

if cycling the kill switch off then on again causes the red FI lamp to come on the dash, and the bank angle sensor to click, then your bike is ready to start.

if you don't hear the fuel pump prime when the red FI lamp is on the dash, then you have an issue to be dealt with between the fuel pump relay, the ecu, and the fuel pump itself. the fuel pump is powered by the same circuit as the ECU, so if the ECU is good, the fuel pump should have power available if the control circuit is functional.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

the way the bike work is the kill switch and bank angle sensor control the bank angle relay. this relay powers the ECU.

if cycling the kill switch off then on again causes the red FI lamp to come on the dash, and the bank angle sensor to click, then your bike is ready to start.

if you don't hear the fuel pump prime when the red FI lamp is on the dash, then you have an issue to be dealt with between the fuel pump relay, the ecu, and the fuel pump itself. the fuel pump is powered by the same circuit as the ECU, so if the ECU is good, the fuel pump should have power available if the control circuit is functional.
So I’m assuming from what you just said my bank angle relay is bad. I jumped the bank sensor out and no change. I do not recall the bank angle relay clicking, also my fuel pump does not prime either

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

So I’m assuming from what you just said my bank angle relay is bad. I jumped the bank sensor out and no change. I do not recall the bank angle relay clicking, also my fuel pump does not prime

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I’m assuming from what you just said my bank angle relay is bad. I jumped the bank sensor out and no change. I do not recall the bank angle relay clicking, also my fuel pump does not prime

I verified voltage at the fuel pump harness and I only got 4volts. Shouldn’t I have 12?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pulled my diagram out and yes I have the 12v to the ecu and cdi. I just don’t understand…… if I have the voltage there why am I not sparking on time. I ohm stator and also ohm pick up coil. Everything is good

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
if your fuel pump doesn't prime that's one of your problems. that won't affect spark though.

jump the fuel pump relay by unplugging it and shorting the black/white to the larger gauge brown wire in the plug. the fuel pump should run constantly when you set the kill switch to run. if it doesn't start checking connections.

as for your spark issue, the coils ground to the large ground point on the frame on the right side of the rider's seat, below the tail fairing. make sure that connection is secure.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
the tach sweep doesn't indicate anything. that just happens every time the dash is powered on.

the FI lamp lighting for a few seconds (like in your video) indicates that the ECU is powered and the EFI system is ready to run.

if you key on with the kill switch set to stop, the tach will still sweep, but the EFI system is not active at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright mr. Wib i recleaned all the grounds and now I’m sweeping. I have 2 cdi boxes doing the same exact thing. Spark every once in a while turning over. I ohm the stator it checks out. I ohm the pick up I get .945 is that weak? My next step is sanding Magneta and pick up coil. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts