RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
great looking bike. Would make a nice road trip bike.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Friend of mine showed me this last night.
I know I'm getting old..
I REALLY LIKE IT!!!

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I see they've dropped the exhaust from the undertail.
I rode my 2002 VFR800 for a couple years, and it was ok. I loved the v-tec!
But this bike isn't doing anything at all for me. It's bland and boring imo.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
- LED headlights
- Self-canceling turn indicators that employ wheel-speed data, not a timer
- digital tach / analog speedo
- gear indicator
- fuel-consumption gauge
- 5.2-gallon fuel tank; range in excess of 200 miles
- six-speed gearbox

529 pounds ... Ouch.

My bud just got a new '14 FZ-09, which lists for $7,990. I know these two bikes are pretty different, but this new VFR with its $13,499 (Deluxe model) list sure doesn't seem like $5,500 more motorcycle :eek: :eek: :confused:

·
Registered
753 Posts
I see they've dropped the exhaust from the undertail.
I rode my 2002 VFR800 for a couple years, and it was ok. I loved the v-tec!
But this bike isn't doing anything at all for me. It's bland and boring imo.
lol gotta agree with you JD, my 06 ZX14 with heli bars was a good tourer as well as a sports bike with much sexier curves. No string down below here either.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I don't know who is designing Honda's bike lately, but they are just ugly IMO. Honda hasn't had an inspired design in I don't know say 14 years......

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
id be interested at maybe 8k new. anything more and ill just have a hypermotard :)

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
I don't know who is designing Honda's bike lately, but they are just ugly IMO. Honda hasn't had an inspired design in I don't know say 14 years......
2006 1KRR was the last sexy model Honda has made.

This thing is butter face......from the back, she looks great! But-her-face, holy shit.:eek: This must have been made by the Chinese designer for Honda, his name was Ugh Lee:D

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This thing is butter face......from the back, she looks great! But-her-face, holy shit.:eek: This must have been made by the Chinese designer for Honda, his name was Ugh Lee:D
Well I think it's at least better looking than its bigger, older 1200cc brother. Its nose looks like a pucker butt:

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I like it. Good features, etc. Nice things like underslung rear caliper as standard and new wheels, LED headlights, etc.
What I don't like are all the electronics. And it still hasn't lost any weight in 20+ years. Where's the progress?

Sheesh - have owned my VFR for 22 years now and it's still going strong (and soon to be improved - sadly I cannot resist tinkering :D). Can't imagine I'd get on so well with a bike with so many electronics and I wouldn't be sure the build quality is today - what it was in the 1990's.

Will no doubt be a great bike - Honda is giving people what they should have replaced the VFR800 with in the first place - but it's not for me...The longer I go on, the more I appreciate simplicity of older & relatively easy to work on machines.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Extrapolator - for you a VFR would probably be a better bike....
But don't sell the RC51 or you'll regret it! :eek:

Just get an older but well looked after Viffer 800. It'll be not far off as good as this new one. Or wait 5 years or so.... the new ones now will be quite a lot cheaper then. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
I've been working on my 2000 VFR800 suspension since this past weekend.
Pulled the OEM shock off and replace it with a Penske 8983 unit.

Then pulled the forks off and replaced the rusty fork tubes with new, then wire brushed the worn and corroded finish of the sliders, then primed with 3 coats of aluminum primer, then 3 coats of aluminum color coat.

Forks before

Forks after

AK-20 fork cap

After that, installed my Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 cartridge kit which allows spring preload, plus compression and rebound adjustment.

Once I get the forks back on, then I'll be installing my new Dekelvic stainless exhaust.
The exhaust looks fantastic, and it's only $299!

Dekelvic exhaust

The bike came with a Staintune high-mount stainless muffler, which sounds wonderful.

It's 5th Gen, with rock solid gear drive cams, and none of that V-TEC garbage complicating the works.
Valve clearance checks are similar to that of the RC51, just with two more cylinders.

A bit rough cosmetically, and it is going on 14 years old, but it runs great.
The engine is real smooth and like my RC51, the speed sneaks up on you.

I've felt the bike had handling potential, but the crappy OEM suspension just lets it down.
You can feel it wants to do more, but its being held back.

Now, with a decent suspension under it, this bike should be a blast to ride.
I have some favorite roads I can't wait to try it on.

Now if I can only trash that crappy linked brake system.
Another overly complicated system that serves no useful purpose.

And I only paid $2000 for it with only 34K miles on the clock.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Sounds good, Sub.
Re-worked suspension transforms these into great bikes to ride faster.
No more wallow at speed, just proper bump absorption & confidence inspiration.
I'm soon going to be taking off my reworked original forks to put my old Maxton reworked SP2 front end on.
The limiting factor will be ground clearance, I think you'll find. My blobs on the end of the pegs are chamfered at an angle. Did think of putting titanium bolts on the ends, but never got around to that. About to fit CBR900 rearsets, which are apparently a direct fit. Could only find made in China Ebay stuff cheap so am trying it out. Looks OK, but we'll see when it's on...

I guess it's not too difficult to get rid of the linked braking system. Once I fit my replacement from end I'll no longer be needing the front brakes currently on the VFR.
Don't know if they're the same fitment, but if so these may be of interest. About 17 years old but only used for a total of around 3 years riding. They're Harrison 6 pots with 6 small pads in each caliper. I had them mated with cast iron PFM discs before, but they warped and so I replaced with original S/S ones. Anyways, they're plenty strong enough - mated with a CBR1000F master cylinder and bespoke braided lines in the same pattern as originals (using all the same mounting points). Have had a couple of moments locing them up in the dry from over zealous braking - but let go early enough and saved it with a stamp of a boot on the ground & a wobble!
These calipers sill be for sale, so if they'd fit & you'd be interested let me know. :D

Somehow VFR's & RC51's seem to go well together. There's a fair few of us here who seem to share interest in both bikes...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I like this new VFR. I'd consider getting rid of my CBR for a VFR Deluxe; it would suit my riding needs perfectly...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
TTT - Instead of creating another similar thread, I figured I'd just ask if anyone in here has picked up one of these new '14 or '15 Inteceptors (or a Deluxe version) yet ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
TTT - Instead of creating another similar thread, I figured I'd just ask if anyone in here has picked up one of these new '14 or '15 Inteceptors (or a Deluxe version) yet ?

Hi COBRA90GT, one of the new VFR Deluxe's is on my radar for sure. Will watch this thread to hear if others have brought one home..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts