RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to go fill up at the gas station (please note it's my first ride since last June) and by the time I was done and on my way home, the motor was blinking 254degrees with the oil light on!

My first track day is suppose to be June 16th and I want to be able to make it without my bike falling apart!

It has a fresh oil
Change, in fact that's the first ride since I changed the oil. Noticed some fluid well spread out on my lower fairing, the fairing collected the fluid. Not sure if it's coolant or oil.

What else could go wrong?! Ahh! Does anybody have any ideas?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So it's a pretty big coolant leak. But why would my oil light be on solid light no blinking, while I was riding?
And why does it only leak when The bike is on or if I'm riding

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Check your coolant hose connections at the radiators...they could be expanding when the hoses heat up causing the leak. Happened to my SP1, all I did was tighten up all the connectors and problem solved. Also make sure your fuse for your fan is working, fan is kicking on right? I only mention it because I also had a blown fuse for the radiator fan.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't checked to see if both radiators are on. I did hear them running though, is there a way to check and see if they work without having to leave my bike running til it gets hot?

Haven't inspected behind the radiator or any of the hoses yet. Still waiting for it to cool down.

What about my oil light being on? I have a fresh oil and an oil filter in there

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
^ First remove both fairings to see if you can find dried up spots of coolant residue near the radiators or at a hose connection somewhere.

If the leak spot(s) is not obvious, then add coolant, start the bike up, allow it to idle for several minutes while it gets up to temp and monitor all radiator hose connections/radiators to see if the leak point can be identified.

You can always try a cooling system pressure test kit or let a reputable shop take a look at things to sort out your bike since you will be putting it on the track pretty soon (?).

G'luck

·
Registered
447 Posts
^ First remove both fairings to see if you can find dried up spots of coolant residue near the radiators or at a hose connection somewhere.

If the leak spot(s) is not obvious, then add coolant, start the bike up, allow it to idle for several minutes while it gets up to temp and monitor all radiator hose connections/radiators to see if the leak point can be identified.

You can always try a cooling system pressure test kit or let a reputable shop take a look at things to sort out your bike since you will be putting it on the track pretty soon (?).

G'luck
The cooling system is important, but you need to find the source of the oil light problem first. Overheating will damage your engine, but it will take a while to get that hot. A lack of oil pressure will destroy the engine in seconds.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cooling system is important, but you need to find the source of the oil light problem first. Overheating will damage your engine, but it will take a while to get that hot. A lack of oil pressure will destroy the engine in seconds.

Lack of oil pressure? As in loose oil pan bolts or loose oil filter? Just those two possibilities?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Lack of oil pressure as in
  • No oil
  • low on oil
  • clogged oil journal
  • sending unit faulty or not connected
  • oil pump is no good.
Perform an oil change just to get fresh oil in the engine.

Good luck.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Lack of oil pressure as in
  • No oil
  • low on oil
  • clogged oil journal
  • sending unit faulty or not connected
  • oil pump is no good.
Perform an oil change just to get fresh oil in the engine.

Good luck.:cool:
Also,
Clogged oil pickup.
Collapsed oil filter.
Bad oil pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is where it's leaking from. This is located on the left radiator, if you face the radiator, the leak is coming from the bottom right corner of the radiator. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1401837781.834214.jpg

·
Registered
469 Posts
those rad fins look rough. its probably been laid over on that side. if you decide against getting a new one you could probably have that leak welded up

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
those rad fins look rough. its probably been laid over on that side. if you decide against getting a new one you could probably have that leak welded up

So that's the primary cause? The radiator leak? I didn't even turn the bike on, all I did was push down my drive way, parked it and boom leaking coolant.

How should (key word should) I remove the left radiator? Any fluid I need to flush out?

·
Registered
469 Posts
So that's the primary cause? The radiator leak? I didn't even turn the bike on, all I did was push down my drive way, parked it and boom leaking coolant.

How should (key word should) I remove the left radiator? Any fluid I need to flush out?

easy. on the riight side of the bike near the radiator, there is a hose conncected to the water pump. disconnect and let the fluid drain. then disconnect the upper and lower radiator hose on the left rad, remove the lower and upper mounting bolts, and disconnect the fan connector. the radiator is now free.

you can block off the lower spout and fill it with water through the upper spout and pinpoint the leak. take it to a muffler shop or wherever and have them weld it up.

when you mount back up, fill it with water wetter and distilled water, or engine ice. note that when freezing temps come back around you will need to drain the water wetter solution and put some sort of 50/50 coolant/antifreeze back in.

add a manual fan switch too if you desire. 254 is high, i would suspect you had a lot of air in your system or your fan isnt working. i have a sp1 with a stock fan, manual switch, and water wetter, never sees above 210 down here in the tx heat

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anything over 240° and you are into blown headgasket and or head warpage territory.

Do you mean if I go over 240 degrees I could potentially blow the head gasket or head war page? Or are you stating that since it went over 240 I do have a blown gasket or warpage

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the motor only has 10k miles. Starts up fine. So I don't think either of them are correct?

And as I was getting under neath my new tank that's installed, I noticed gas was leaking!!!! Annoying! Stupid tank isn't welded correctly so I gotta throw my old one back on.

As for the radiator and removing the hose that goes into the water pump. Coolant came out, not much though. I only took the bottom hose out. Should I take the one above out too? ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1401916596.960100.jpg

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Well the motor only has 10k miles. Starts up fine. So I don't think either of them are correct?
Well everybody here is an expert on everything so feel free to discount my thoughts. It's not like I have any experience with this topic or have actually blown a head gasket on a bike or two due to extreme engine temps and then gone on to do entire track weekends with that blown head gasket by having to refill the cooling system between sessions or anything or seen an engine hydro-locked for the same reasons. I will simply defer to the all knowing members here to sort all of this for you. :)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts