RC51 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Wibb , where are you using these electronic applications ? Tar Sands ?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
No sir. We don't deal with heavy oil at all.

At my previous job I did a lot of optimization and automation on long stroke pumping units in SAGD (steam assisted gravity drainage) applications (SAGD is where steam is injected into the reservoir to liquefy the oil, the oil drains through the sand and is pumped out via a parallel well bore drilled below the injection well). This is different than the famous "tar sands" as those are mines where the bitumen laden sand is mechanically extracted with shovels and then processed. SAGD is processed underground and then only oil and water is pumped to surface. The tailings stay in the ground.

but with this company we focus pretty well entirely on conventional plays (light oil) and almost entirely on conventional pumping units (pump jacks). It's what myself and my partner do best.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Need to build an electric bike one of these days.
Good EE friend of mine has, so if you're looking for a primer, I'll hook you up...I'm playing with ATVs now and looking at doing one in electric for hunting he's offered to help me with...

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Im pretty confident I already know exactly what it takes to do an AC bike. The hardest part would be the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, what was the culprit for the failure? A bad coil? Just asking because a buddy of mine had his cdi fail, replaced it and the other failed almost immediately. Trying to help him troubleshoot without buying another cdi.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Im pretty confident I already know exactly what it takes to do an AC bike. The hardest part would be the battery.
OK, since the controller and the batteries are the real trick in these and he welded his battery packs together (it's tricky), designed the individual cell recharger and algorithms to keep them topped off individually, just thought it might help your curve, my bad...sure you're up for it, best of luck...

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
easy there chief no need to get in a huff.

i'd just buy a battery and battery management system. i'm not into welding individual cells.

you can sleep well knowing your buddy is a better man than i.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
LOL...funny, thought you were the one in a huff...your idea works IF you can buy batteries that have a matching management system, however, those batteries have a form factor packing issue in his 250 motorcycle, so he had to build his battery form to fit his gas tank, anyway, not matter, hope you get to do it one day, I'm sleeping fine.... '-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey everyone. I meant to post when I got back from New York on this subject. So, my fix workEd. It’s been almost two years and had no problems til a ride last week. I rode for about two hours and call it 120 miles round trip. I was close to home at a stop light and it just shut off. It restarted right away. It shut off once more about two blocks away from home, again started right up. Hope its not the CDI again. I had a bad one from before and replaced the thyristors... the repair worked!!!! Love this site!!! So now I have a spare just in case. When going through all components last time I found nothing out of spec. I did the 600rr coil mod, replaced the reg/rectifier, and checked wiring. This is where if Wibbly reads this you may have some insight for me. I just purchased a new mofset reg/rectifie (I put in a new stock type last time), and the new stator just came in (the one in the bike is the original with 30k). So, I will have replaced all the components in the charging/output of the electrical. The question is...is there anything else I should be looking for or checking? I’m going to put the spare CDI in the storage in the back of the bike so I don’t get stranded but don’t really want to have to use it. Any insight from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
all you should have to check is the integrity of your circuits. just make sure all the grounds are clean and tight and all the connectors are as well. with the mosfet rectifiers you won't need the white/black sensing line so make sure that's adequately insulated as it has +12v dc on it from the ignition circuit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
all you should have to check is the integrity of your circuits. just make sure all the grounds are clean and tight and all the connectors are as well. with the mosfet rectifiers you won't need the white/black sensing line so make sure that's adequately insulated as it has +12v dc on it from the ignition circuit.
Hey Wibbly…. Thanks for the info… I really appreciate your knowledge!!!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts