RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all!

I tried searching but with no results i figured i'd just ask.

I'm 6'6", 35" inseam, size 16 boot. My first bike was a 250 Ninja that was a blast, even though you can imagine all the jokes that were thrown my way. I rode that for 3000 miles or so and sold it. Now i'm itching to get a bigger (size wise) bike.

I'm currently looking at a 1997 Yamaha yzf1000 thunderace and was thinking, since i'm considering a liter bike, why not consider my favorite honda of all time?

So the questions are:

A: How tall is too tall for this bike? Looking for real world, first hand experience.

B: who made the jump from a "starter" bike to the RC51 and what could you tell me to help with the transition?

Much appreciated.

Dimitri

·
Registered
863 Posts
This is a big bike that carries around bigger people very well. Being so tall and the position of the bars and the pegs might be kinda uncomfortable though. I'm 6'3 220 and i ride it fine but after a few hours im kinda stiff in the back when I start walking around.

My 1st bike was an R1 so I cant comment on going from a "starter" bike to a 51. I can only imagine seeing a guy as big as you on a Ninja 250 :eek:

All that matters is that you got out and rode.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cant tell you how many times i was at the light and people i knew would pull up and crack jokes... these same people always "talked" about riding... i was actually doing it...

trying to find a local rc51 is like pulling teeth... would love to go throw a leg over one and check it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am 6 foot and this is my first bike. I love it.... I think you will be just fine. You may have to get new rear sets or adjust the factory ones a little, but I don't see why you would have an issue on this bike as opposed to any other bike. Good luck in making your decision!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The last bike I actually OWNED was an '87 Honda CBX 250. I made the jump to an '00 RC51 no problem. I have ridden other peoples bikes in between those two though. Everything from Ninja's to Harley V-rods. But those were few and far between over the course of 8 years. You should be ok as long as you remember that you are not on your 250 anymore! lol The RC51 is a big bike and should carry you no problem. My inseam is 31 inches and my toes touch. You might get really cramped up after a long ride though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seriously considering a RC once again (after so many years)...

I just sold a Harley Night Rod Special about a year ago and now im getting the itch for a bike again...

More and more RC51s for sale in the area... any new developments in big boy comfort?

What should i expect to pay for the different generations? Would would be "more reliable"?

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Wow size 16 shoes.. I would agree with the group.. 51 will carry you just fine, the low-end torque will be a benefit..
Going back to shoe size, IMHO, I would get the RC51 get a set of those WOODCRAFT rear set of e-bay (cheap) then for foot , and shifter clearance -I would do the VFR shifter conversion to increase space..
I will say that YOU will notice the difference between the two bikes(Ninja via RC51)..
My first road bike was a 1986 VF500f (i am 5'10") and the even thou my last bike-before owning the RC51 was a 900rr. You will learn to enjoy and respect the V-twin..

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Welcome back DGI. Adjustable rearsets will help, I'm sure. I have them and totally love the adjustability. I'm only 5'10", but my legs still felt a little cramped until I moved the pegs.
Be careful choosing rearsets, as they double as a frame slider if you go down...

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
As mentioned, other than your bootsize you'd be ok. A Sargent or a Corbin saddle might be in the future though; at the very least a Walmart gel-pad. I have a bud in Ireland that's 6'5" and he rides a ZX9 and it's a bit smaller than the RC. To see him standing beside that bike makes you wonder, but he has no probs. And let me tell you the guy can ride! Had me sweating to keep up, and the poor boxer twin I was riding was wheezing a good portion of the time. He also runs an R6 on the track and that's quite a lot smaller so it can be done. Let the search begin in earnest I say!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
If you find you may be uncertain of the RC, may be a 'Busa....they handle some pretty big boy around here:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm 6'7" with size 15 shoes, I do just fine on the RC. Little cramped in the legs, and back will hurt after a while on it. About the time you're filling up for gas its about time to take a small break anyway. LOVE this bike! I've been looking at the rearsets from a Buell, drop the pegs about an inch. I also have the Corbin seat and it rocks. Get it, TONS of fun for a bike!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, I'm 6'5", 230, 36 inseam and size 15 boot. I don't have a problem with either the RC 51 or my Hayabusa. My only complaint about the 51 is the seat-after a bit I have "major" butt hurt!! LOL The 'busa is better in that sense. Besides all that-I'm 62 years old! I just love sport bikes. I'm guessing you're a lot younger than I am, so you'll have no problems. Be prepared though-your face will hurt from smiling so much!! LOL Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
You other member (should) only post pics of yourself on your bikes, as a SWAP, Ask him to post pictures of himself on that 250 Ninja...Ha Ha (just a suggestion)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm 6'7" with size 15 shoes, I do just fine on the RC. Little cramped in the legs, and back will hurt after a while on it. About the time you're filling up for gas its about time to take a small break anyway. LOVE this bike! I've been looking at the rearsets from a Buell, drop the pegs about an inch. I also have the Corbin seat and it rocks. Get it, TONS of fun for a bike!
I did the Buell lowering peg mod ($40 new) along with a Corbin seat ($160 used), Apex adjustable clipons($100 used), Manic Salamander bar end weights ($70 new), and a Zero Gravity ST screen ($90 new). This has made the bike a bona-fide sport touring machine. I'm 6'0 and about 205lbs w/o gear with 11US feet. I let a buddy ride it with this setup (while I followed on his Colin Edwards edition Mille R....) and he said it felt just as comfy as his Futura! I was able to do a trip to Florida and back (11hrs each way) and still feel fine.

The Buell mod gives you about an inch down and back which greatly relieves the cramped knee position BUT it makes it a bit easier for the back of my boots to touch the exhaust. If you've got bigger than 11 shoes it'll probably be even worse. It's not too terrible mind you and I haven't left any marks yet, but these low mount Sato's ain't cheap and I don't want to mar them! The pegs took some modification on a grinder to work but isn't difficult to do.

The best part is that everything is easily reversible for the track.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts