RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure to how title the topic...
Been listening the conversations of porting heads, high compression pistons, (wanting more power) out of the RC-51..
And being informed by a member - That has done everything to an RC-51 , except redesign it ... and has told us "THERE ISN'T ONE NUT OR BOLT THAT IS USED IN A HRC RACE BIKE" on our beloved RC-51.
Has any member considered in the re-mapping of the RC-51 (power commander 2, 3 or 5) tuning the Honda V-twin to use "E-85 " fuel?

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
E-85 fuel , 115 octane.
Read an topic post "EXHAUST" were the joking answer was to use E-85.. Yet HOW logical is the thought ??

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think trying to modify the RC to run E85 would be a mistake. You can't just "tune it" on a PCV. You have to modify the fuel pump and the throttle bodies to push more fuel. If you are successful in making that work and boosting the HP, the engine and gearbox will be pushed to extremes it was not built to handle.

It's you bike and your money so do what you want. I would never consider buying a bike that was "converted" to run E85 because the it screams abuse and probably has an engine that's going to grenade as soon as you ride it away.

In the video linked below this guy discusses all the modifications he's done to get his SP-2 to 145HP. He doesn't mention race gas but he is running high comp pistons so I would assume so.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
you won't get big gains on e85 in a naturally aspirated engine.

e85 tunes are for big boost applications where knocking is a major concern.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm still putting money into my RC and riding it at the track, so I'm certainly not knocking it. But chasing more power by opening up an RC engine seems to be an exercise in futility. Many have tried, and very few have succeeded. It makes enough power to keep up with any of the modern literbikes in the turns, but in the straights they are gone! Some of the new bikes are almost 100hp up on the RC.

I've seen that video, and adding up the cost of just the suspension, wheels, exhaust, triple clamp and brakes are about $10,500. Then he has just about every other mod you can do, plus engine work, and then the cost of the bike. He's probably in it for $25K plus, and it's a very nice bike.

The downside is, his bike is about equal to a 959 Panigale in power and weight, which you can now buy for $12K. Or you could buy an RSV4 factory for about the same money and have 175+ hp, along with a soundtrack even better than the RC51. Neither bike is as reliable as the RC, but similar in handling and power delivery - but with more of it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, It was an expensive HRC kit, and it should have been about 145 horsepower using race fuel.
SPW, which is 10 times more expensive, has about 185 horsepower. SPW is generally disassembled for each race and all consumables are replaced. So finally that horsepower.

Increasing the compression ratio will extremely shorten the life of the engine and will not directly affect horsepower, so it is not recommended.
According to the principle of the engine (improvement of filling efficiency), the only way for an individual to get a certain effect is port processing and camshaft replacement.
Each has a negative.
Bore up if possible. Bore-up is the same as improving filling efficiency.
The rest is supercharging. This is also an improvement in filling efficiency.

In summary, it's interesting and romance, but the cost and lifespan is high.
As Mr. RC51V-2 says. Panigale, RSV4, if you can save money, but you should definitely buy the SC59RR(Although it has straight 4-cylinder).

If you really want to increase horsepower, we recommend only port processing.
It has less impact on durability, it doesn't cost money, and it has the disadvantage of eliminating low speeds, but it should definitely have its advantages.
Since POP knows the principle of the engine, he stuck to the port.
Even if you play with the exhaust, the limit is fast, and it is good to touch from the inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts