RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a 04 NH back in early 2014 and sold it about 1.5 years after buying it to make room in the garage. Ever since then, I always regretted letting it go. I picked up my SP1 race bike last June and have been enjoying it on the track. While searching FB marketplace, I saw this 04 NH located 40 minutes from me. It’s missing the decals, and the red portion of the gas tank has been repainted (slightly darker shade). All the plastics are original and the seller is the original owner. He paid cash for it and watched as the dealer uncrated and prepped the bike for him In late 2003/early 2004. We struck a deal two days ago after I drove over to check it out. With the exception of some minor modifications, the bike is stock and looks better in person than pictures. It even has an all original, uncut rear tray/fender with all stock turn signals. I’ll be picking it up this coming week and will be a ”winter” restoration project.

Jared

·
Registered
2003 Honda RC-51
30 Posts
It looks so weird without the decals! Grats though, been searching for NH now for a while. Nothing under 10k now a days :*(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up mine a month ago. 2003 with 16000 miles. All original plastic with the exception of the stupid fender eliminator.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Hard to tell from the photos, but is the signature on the tank? The decals are mostly available, with the exception of one of the woodpeckers (from Honda, left side I believe). The tank is the biggie, that signature is the key ingredient. But looks like there isn't anything available until into mid January (from Honda).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard to tell from the photos, but is the signature on the tank? The decals are mostly available, with the exception of one of the woodpeckers (from Honda, left side I believe). The tank is the biggie, that signature is the key ingredient. But looks like there isn't anything available until into mid January (from Honda).
The tank does still have the signature on it. The red on the tank was painted a wrong shade. All the paint work will be fixed and fresh decals applied.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Be careful, that signature is delicate...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since picking up the bike, I proceeded to remove the tank/fuel pump assembly and give the inside of the tank a thorough clean. After replacing the fuel pump and associated hoses, the bike fired up with some fresh gas. After getting it running, I started to go through the cooling system and flushing/cleaning it out. While flushing the system, I noticed the radiators were leaking from their cores. A closer inspection of the dumped coolant and remnants revealed white crystalized chunks. I sent the radiators to Mylers in Utah to see if they were fixable but unfortunately, they were not. Each radiator had a dozen or so holes in the core from old coolant sitting and eating away the aluminum.

I ordered the aluminum GPI radiators and anxiously awaited to see how they fit. They arrived before Christmas and after some slight fiddling, they fit pretty nicely. I filled the system up with plain distilled water to check for leaks and all appears good. Attached some pictures of the bike after I got it home and started the cleaning/detailing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just another update after some more work was done. I was able to get the red paint color matched at my local paint store using their camera system. The front cowl suffered some damage when the original owner dropped the bike. The repair was less than ideal with the use of fiberglass cloth and resin on the backside. After bending the front cowl, the fiberglass peeled right off and I set about fixing them properly with Plastifix. The pictures show the repair and am more than happy with the Plastifix. It cures quickly and has great strength and flexibility. Both repairs were cracked all the way through. More bodywork (sanding/feathering/filling etc) will need to be done but am happy I can keep the original front cowl.

·
Registered
139 Posts
How hard or easy was using the Plastifix? Any guidance or warnings? I have a couple spare fairings with cracks and was looking at trying the Plastifix to repair them. :unsure:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How hard or easy was using the Plastifix? Any guidance or warnings? I have a couple spare fairings with cracks and was looking at trying the Plastifix to repair them. :unsure:
The plastifix is very easy to use. I ground away the paint on the front and rear and ground a “V” into the crack with my die grinder. From there, it’s a matter of sprinkling the powder into place and dropping the liquid into it. For the large cracks that were all the way through, I used fiberglass cloth on the backside which is covered with the plastifix.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The plastifix is very easy to use. I ground away the paint on the front and rear and ground a “V” into the crack with my die grinder. From there, it’s a matter of sprinkling the powder into place and dropping the liquid into it. For the large cracks that were all the way through, I used fiberglass cloth on the backside which is covered with the plastifix.
Thank you, looks like a pretty cool kit. (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts