RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably going to buy some soon for my SP1. Anybody have a set for sale?

Alternately, what's the general concensus on the available offerings? Leaning towards OZ or Carro....

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Probably going to buy some soon for my SP1. Anybody have a set for sale?

Alternately, what's the general concensus on the available offerings? Leaning towards OZ or Carro....
Galespeeds are nice... my first choice other then BST.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I would go with OZ before Carrozzeria, just due to the fact that the OZ name has been around much longer. I had a set of the older OZ wheels and was very satisfied with them. Galespeed, BST, Marchesini, all of the major brands are pretty hard to go wrong with. RK is new to the aftermarket wheel scene, but has been making other parts for a long time now.

Carrozzeria had some issues a while ago with their bearings failing. Lots of people had this issue and were told to only torque the axle to half of OEM spec. Lots of discussion on that on other forums (like speedzilla). The consensus is that they probably just used cheap bearings, or their tolerances are/were way off and compensated with lower torque on the axle. They used to be much cheaper than other wheels, so many would go with them for that fact alone and just deal with the issues or hope to not have any. Many other people have had zero issues with them and swear by them. For my money, I'd go elsewhere as I don't see the benefits, since now their prices are closer to established brands.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
http://pnwriders.com/gear-parts-accessories/180075-carrozzeria-tri-r-race-forged-aluminum-wheels-cbr1000rr-08-current-may-fit-others.html

I saw these b.miller on PNW riders...

Not a bad price I don't no much about them and you did have some insight. I've got some aftermarket wheels which will see the road this season.
They probably aren't the "bomb waiting to go off" that some proclaim them to be, but if buying new, they aren't the great value they used to be. $800 for a used set of their newest wheels isn't a bad deal though. I might have gone after that if I had a bike they fit. I just always wonder about dudes that can't be bothered to clean their shit before they put it up for sale.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought them. I've been wondering about the Tri Rs for a while. Know no one with them. Supposedly very light. I think no one purchases them because the design does not look like a good street solution, but these are for a track only bike. I'm willing to spend the time and moolah to find out...

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I've had no problems with PVM's in the last 3 years. They're a good brand. Don't need to use balancing weights at all on them either, as they're well balanced too. Just fit the tyre mark at the valve as it's meant.

If I were in the market again though, I'd have bought BST's and not these. :)

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I bought them. I've been wondering about the Tri Rs for a while. Know no one with them. Supposedly very light. I think no one purchases them because the design does not look like a good street solution, but these are for a track only bike. I'm willing to spend the time and moolah to find out...
When you said you bought them I did not realise that you bought the ones I posted. I thought that you meant you bought some like them. Did you buy them because I posted or did you already know about them?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your post was the first I had seen of them. Got in touch with the seller, good guy, good price....

Thanks for the referral.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Your post was the first I had seen of them. Got in touch with the seller, good guy, good price....

Thanks for the referral.
Well that's just a win for everyone...glad I could help, post some pics when you have them cleaned up and mounted and let us know what you think of them.
I would really like to know if you notice any performance upgrade in braking/acceleration.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Well that's just a win for everyone...glad I could help, post some pics when you have them cleaned up and mounted and let us know what you think of them.
I would really like to know if you notice any performance upgrade in braking/acceleration.
Me too. And weight, maybe you can put them on the scale before you attach any hardware... :)

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like the 2008 CBR1000rr front hub is narrower than the 04-07 and Rc51 by 4.5mm. I suppose I could make new spacers for the front axle but that would leave having to take up 2.25 mm on each side for the calipers/rotor relationship. It's a track bike, not really into spacers. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Looks like the 2008 CBR1000rr front hub is narrower than the 04-07 and Rc51 by 4.5mm. I suppose I could make new spacers for the front axle but that would leave having to take up 2.25 mm on each side for the calipers/rotor relationship. It's a track bike, not really into spacers. Any thoughts?
A good machinist could fab up caliper brackets that look like stock but have the proper offset.

That's what I would do to have a clean looking mount. Hell if you're not in a panic the said machinist could turn you a new factory looking axle as well.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I ended up with as well. Pretty simple really. I have a feeling the bearing surface distance is constant throuought the wheels making that easy as buying the Rc spacers front and rear...The axle is as easy a swapping bearings and using the RC axle. Never in a panic. If it aint fun, it aint worth doin...

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
You could just make custom captive spacers for the front. Use the stock RC51 axle and the cbr bearings in the wheel. If you swap bearings over to the RC bearings, the inner collar will be too big and might not sit right on the inside of the races. Captive spacers that extend far enough inside past the bearing races will hold the collar in place.

Or, oddly enough the steering stem bearings are the same part numbers on the RC51 and the '08+ cbr1000rr, so a fork swap might be rather straight forward (but who knows what it will do with the geometry).

The rear should just bolt right up. I don't think Honda changed the rear wheel from the 04-07 cbr to the 08. I could be wrong though.

This is what the custom front spacers I made looked like:

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a pretty slick idea. Thanks b. I was going to make a new sleeve (collar) but I like this idea better.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I will probably -be ending up with a set of aftermarket wheels. Got a trade for a SP-1 complete (parts, and Bike, and parts, and wheels)

I will keep you in mind.. When I take possession....

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
That's a pretty slick idea. Thanks b. I was going to make a new sleeve (collar) but I like this idea better.
Yeah, pretty simple to make. Was cheap for me since I had free access to a machine shop at the time. All it cost me was time and money for material.

Cbr's have a 25mm front axle and RC51's have a 22mm. So the thin part of the spacer has an OD of 25mm, and the entire inside has an ID of 22mm. It seems really thin at only 1.5mm, but that par doesn't do anything other than center the collar so it can get pinched between the bearing races when torquing the axle bolt. The thicker part has an OD that matched the OEM spacers or maybe a little thicker since the bearing race they rest on will have a greater OD than the RC51 bearings (since they are 25mm ID, the OD is greater assuming the radial thickness is the same). I don't remember what that measurement was off the top of my head. I made mine from 7075 T6, but 2024 or 6061 would be fine.

About the rear just booting up: do some research on the cbr forums. If the 08-12 rear wheel is a bolt on swap for the 04-07 rear, then it will work on the RC51 since the 04-07 cbr1k is a direct bolt on for the RC51. I *think* you'll be in luck and it will bolt right up.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ordered parts from Carro, they said the rear is a slam dunk, the front with a change of bearings (was changing them anyway) will line up, only issue is rotor spacing at that point. Hence my other post about radial mounts. Contemplating radial mounts with 2mm taken off the inboard mount face. Or one off brake brackets. Or...or...or...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts