RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend wants to go carve some curves with me and i would like some tips on aggressive 2up riding, is this frowned upon? will it get away from you easily, i haven't ever felt comfortable enough to ride very hard with her on the back, i feel as if i cant shift my hips enough. As always thanks for the feedback guys:D

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Don't do it!!!!

But if you do just make sure she is wearing the right stuff. Adjust your suspension accordingly. Take some monkey butt powder too and pain killers. Take it easy at first until your comfortable with your situation and then gradually step up the experience for the both of you. It really is a bad choice to do this on an rc though.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't do it!!!!

But if you do just make sure she is wearing the right stuff. Adjust your suspension accordingly. Take some monkey butt powder too and pain killers. Take it easy at first until your comfortable with your situation and then gradually step up the experience for the both of you. It really is a bad choice to do this on an rc though.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Thanks for the info man, would it be better on a 99 cbr 600? why is it not good on an RC? I also have a 79 gs1000 that i dont think i would attempt it on :D

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
It's just that a passenger shifts so much weight to the rear, plus upsets any suspension settings there may have been.

That's not to say that a bike can't be adjusted for two up riding.
Witness the special Ducati 2-passenger MotoGP bike that Randy Mamola lets others feel the MotoGP riding
experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=g-Km_AxzgR4

And, I have a buddy from England who spanked a kid on a Gixxer1K with his R1 and wife on back. But after that 160 MPH jaunt, she said she'd never do it again.

I always ride less aggressive with a passenger on board simply because I don't want them hurt. They are totally at your mercy.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Personally I say leave the aggressive riding time for solo riding for obvious reasons, but as we all enjoy risk taking it can certainly be done...

Good friend of mine was doing 1:42's at Barber with his girlfriend on the back of his GSXR600. I was riding my wife's 1000RR with her on the back and I couldn't touch him... Every single time I got on the gas it would just loft the front sky high, but he was hauling ass double time :)

That was one of my favorite trackdays ever. The next session out my wife jumped on my 1000RR while I rode hers and dropped 4 seconds off her best ever lap time. It's amazing what suspension will do :D

Shortly thereafter I had a mandate to add a full Ohlins compliment to her bike as well...

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
For a start, How often has this girl riden as a passenger on a motorcycle?
As stated above, the suspension is going to change, the way the bike tracks into, and out of the curves. BRAKING is a factor. Her postioning herself is a factor.

My wife had never ridden a motorcycle(35yrs) She asked to ride. I had the suspension on my 2001 S-hawk completely set-up for her(140lbs) being on the bike with me(200lbs)
Now -we have ridden for two years together(est. 20,000 miles) and she is finally understanding... If my elbow is grinding . she needs to be right with me.
We carve -Hwy129, and many, many other curvey roads.
It is not just you hurting her, it is also the passenger causing issues that could kill you both. Your riding habits have to change. Speed and curving come with time.. and trust...
Put her on the back -ride with-in your ability.. Bsafe.. you wreck -she may never ride with you again.. you may never ride again...

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I've never ridden the SP2 with passengers, but in my younger years used to do a lot of riding on my VFR750 - 2 up. Sometimes for days at a time, when touring in Europe with a girlfriend, or doing fast rides through the English countryside.
I think 3 things are important. Firstly that the bike's well suited to carrying passengers.
My previous 954 'blade was rubbish for this. Absolutely nothing to hold onto for support and it would perch the passenger much higher than the rider. You need a proper sturdy handle at the rear at least.
The 2nd factor is confidence. The passenger must know how to position herself and use the tank (& rear handle) to give support from braking, and also when accelerating.
She will have to lean into a corner with you and follow your movements instantly.
She has to enjoy riding on the back (& this goes hand-in-hand with comfort).
You also have to be confident in your abilities and the bike's.

The third thing that's important is clothing of course. SBoth of you need to have the right protective gear.

The RC51 isn't the right bike, but if you take it sensibly and she enjoys it, you'll be fine for a relatively short distance. It's not a bike for a 2-up touring trip though! If your CBR600 is an F rather than an R model it might be better than the RC51.

If she really enjoys it, think about buying a good bike for riding 2 up with...
But keep the RC51 for yourself :D

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
/\ lol some people should just never ride motorcycles and she is one of them, im taking her to get fitted this weekend for an Alpinestars two piece suit, she has good gloves and boots already and a new icon helmet, has anyone ever drug a knee 2up on a RC? lol, i dont plan on doing this btw just looking for some tips for spirited riding ie: should she hold on to me or the bike? under acceleration and turns? she pushes against the tank under hard braking is this right? We've logged around 5k miles so she has a little experience but this was mostly just easy riding.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
How about this, make sure she leans the same direction you do. That would be and excellent start.:cool:

As for braking, she needs to learn to use the foot pegs to push off of. My daughter does this and no more "nut crunching" moments.;)

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Sorry, but if you are even thinking about trying to drag knee on the street (even 1 up), you are riding too fast for the street and pushing the odds that something bad will happen. Get to the track and don't mess around with telephone poles and soccer moms. Dragging knee isn't the end-all be-all when it comes to speed/skill. The last trackday I was at, I rode my 250 and was able to pass a guy on the outside who was riding a Hayabusa and dragging knee all the way through the corner.

I wouldn't even think about trying to do much of anything aggressive with a rider on the back, especially one that I loved. If she likes to go fast, get her a bike. As a bonus, even if she doesn't like riding, you have a second bike. If she does like riding, you still have a second bike, and no longer have to ask silly questions.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys and how to not get the "nut crunching" moments anymore lol so as a general consensus its not a good idea to do this, we will be exploring different options i might break out my Honda mini trail 50 and see if i can teach her to ride.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My personal preference is no passengers. Ever. I think your girlfriend should love you enough to realize that riding on the back of an RC is just not cricket. Would you ever try to join in with your girlfriend when she's cooking in the kitchen??? Hell no, that's her job and why would you want to spoil it? Ergo, riding aggressive is just for you. If you explain it to her this way, I'm sure she will understand. Yes, I'm divorced. bahahahahaha.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sacred Institution

I Love this picture!! I think any 2 person aggressive riding should be left to the bedroom. What I do on my bike leaned over at scary speeds is a sacred institution between Me and Machine! A feeling that can only be known by sitting in the cockpit, not the back seat.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts