RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while doing my winter maintenance on my bike, i discovered the previous owner had done some upgrades. one of which is a set of k&n filters. i know these actually hurt performance so im gonna get some stock filters. i had read someone said to order 2 right filters so there is no foam insert since i did the flapper mod. will it make that much of a difference? i found a set of oem filters for $20 for left and right :) to get 2 rights i have to go to the stealership if i want em local. would it be beneficial to order the 2 rights?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just gut the air box and get rid of the filters all together. I did this a few weeks ago after doing some reading on it. Belive me you will feel the diffrence in weight. Look it up and try it its pretty ez.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just gut the air box and get rid of the filters all together. I did this a few weeks ago after doing some reading on it. Belive me you will feel the diffrence in weight. Look it up and try it its pretty ez.

you really should be carefull what you say on here, some kid might actually think your trying to help and mess up his bike. i was a serious question i didnt expect a answer like that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You would have to get a TON of water through the intake to worry. Like into a pond. In which case water down the intake would be the least of your worrys:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
you really should be carefull what you say on here, some kid might actually think your trying to help and mess up his bike. i was a serious question i didnt expect a answer like that.
Sorry if it sounded a little weird. It was late when I posted it. Didnt feel like doing the search. Belive me its an eazy mod to do and I too was skeptical . I did it keeping in mind that I have another air box incase it didnt work out. I really like this mod . I went to Cycle Gear a got the sheets of UNI filter and some filter oil. After the last few rides I have lifted the tank and taken the cover off the air box and no problems.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
where did you notice the most change at? did it effect low end at all? sorry if i came off as a dick, i had not heard about this and have seen comments made in jest on other forums cause people some major issues. i am deff looking into a second airbox and gonna give it a try. how much of a difference does it really make though?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did the mod for the sake of weight loss, especially at the top of the bike. I really can't say I felt a power increase, but it does sound good.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Once RAM AIR kicks in this airbox may not have a problem but at sudden throttle openings I think it restricts flow as the are going through the filter is much smaller than that of the two cans, so flow may be problematic.
If you can find some vacuum meters (like old sync gauges) try measuring your pressure drop in the box, by opening the throttle suddenly. If you have more than 0.15atm drop you may be in trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
never heard of the two right stock filters deal. i use stock filters, a lot of guys run stock filters but remove the mesh liner on the outside of the filters, helps open it up a bit and increase air flow a bit. I'm sure you've seen this, but if you haven't, here you go.

http://rc51.org/airf.htm

Like previously stated this seems like the way to go unless you get a larger airbox.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my airbox should be here today, along with a set of stock filters too. both have less than 1200 miles on them and ran me less than $50 shipped. gotta love ebay. im going to gut the new box and see how i like it. should be a intersting ride this weekend 60 degrees and freshly de-paired, flapper hardware removed, new plugs and a gutted airbox . ill tell a difference with 12lbs less weight.... im sure! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts