RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded my air filters to K&N on a '01 SP1, the only other mods. are exhaust ( Two Brothers Slip on) and a Power Commander IIIr( non-USB). The bike was running great before the K&Ns but i decided to change the filters out in hopes to get the bike breathing better. Anyway, after the install the bike ran great for the day/night however, the following day she started to bog out, basically there was no power in the throttle, and then after a few backfires a huge burst of power, which was not fun to ride, also the exhaust has a heavy fuel smell. The mechanic at the shop remapped my PC3 to 'stage 1' and that didn't change anything, also i should note that i originally had the air restrictors out and then put them back in which is supposed to be the same flow as OEM, but both times rendered the same result. The local Honda tech. thought it might be the PC3 acting up so he disconnected in, that didn't solve the problem. I'm going to try the stock filters tomorrow to see if that could possibly be the issue or if it was just coincidental that this started after the air filter upgrade upgrade.

Also, i did swap out my plugs with new OEM NGK

I'm looking for a rock solid mechanic who wont break my bank in PA, close the Philly, if anyone has any recommendations that would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Billy

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Give it a few rides,the filters have alot of oil in them,make sure you didnt kink the fuel line

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

Replaced the filters back to OEM, removed my pc3 and changed my plugs. I did the fpr vacuum test and got no drip. Bike runs for the first 5 minutes on the road then after a few throttle pulls she gets boggy and sporadically goes from full power to almost no power. I'm stumped, i could try replacing the fpr anyway but don't want to waste time and money on things that may be working fine. Any other suggestions. Also found oily fuel on the throttle body cap, see image

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Red Tiger is health again!

Turns out it was the Fuel pressure regulator, just wanted to thank everyone for their input. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah man, today was my first day out in two weeks, felt great to get back on the road. Doing a new USB power commander, and Scotts damper tomorrow. Pulled the non usb PCIII out, I don't even think it was working. I am still getting some slight backfire, and hoping the USB PC mapped to my two brothers will chill that out a little bit. Ride safe bro! Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts