RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

After the last few batches of Sato round cans and oval cans - much interest has been building in my repair jobs and finished results.

This thread is dedicated to Akra systems, info regarding them, and all the differences I find... and of course the documenting of repairs that I do.
So, as a fair few members are now sending in Akra exhaust systems for repairs... It seems I am going to be very busy this winter.:D
This first system is an Akra full system for Sp1.

The header pipes and collector are thin wall stainless, three piece setup with non-removable flanges and round shaped ports for sp1.

You can notice the two tapered sections on the front pipe and the rear pipe... right after the first bend off the cylinder head = horsepower.
The system again tapers up to 60mm at the mid pipe and the inner muffler core tapers back down to a varying outlet end cap size... there are a few different size outlets and baffle size at the outlets.

Interesting to see again... different combinations.
More soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now see how the header pipe off the rear cylinder protrudes into the collector and again the same thing for the exits ?

I am only suggesting the following, but I know others have suggested the same... that this creates balance between the left and right cans... as if you hold both in your hand ( with a full system ) you notice equal temps on the cans....
Slip on systems - the right can runs hot... the left can runs cooler.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moving on to the can, I always start taking the can apart by removing the rivets first.

Drill em all out with a proper sized drill bit... take your time, Akra uses stainless steel rivets so use quality drill bits !

I like to use a heat gun to remove stickers... helps a lot ! :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now... the exit endcap will seperate from the inner core easily with a rubber mallet.

The 60mm inlet - will not.

The 60mm inlet is Titanium... also after doing a spark test on the core ( white sparks = TI and orange sparks = steel ) I discovered that Akrapovic makes and supplies their cans with Titanium baffles :eek::)
They also have spark arrestor material wrapped around the first 1/4 of the baffle.
That is quality in a muffler for sure.

And the last pic is just a pile of leftovers.
Updates soon.:cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Let the show begin! :D

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Little update,

I went out with my 5 yr old son on Friday night and picked up this box of Akrapovic goodies that was shipped in from Harris in the UK.

These fresh Titanium sleeves belong to our member The Stig, he and I are working together in a team effort to restore an SP2 full Akrapovic system that he found in Japan !

He also scored another sweet exhaust system that needs to visit the duck-hut for some TLC.
I will start another thread on that particular brand when the time comes, as Repsolcraig also has this type of brand here with me for a refurnish - but we are in need of certain parts before we can begin.

When I picked up the box at the shipping depot I noticed some damage to it :eek::confused::mad:

I opened it straight away and found the brand new carbon Akra can hanger strap broken - what a piss off. :mad:
We are contacting Harris to see what we can do about it as the private shipper said they are not responsible for the damage :rolleyes::confused:

I must say that in all of this, The Stig and Nobody are an absolute pleasure to deal with and work together with in all dealings I have had with either of these two stand up guys - always a pleasure gents.
More soon :cool:

Attachments

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
You are too kind Duckie...you get what you give has always been my way of thinking, seems to be yours and Stig's as well.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Duckmeister, the feeling's mutual. You always go out of your way to help where you can, so it's a pleasure ro reciprocate from this end. Same sentiment goes for nobody.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. :)

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
A broken carbon strap, hmmmmm...
How did that happen, seems unlikely the shipping company would have done that, were there any dents in the box?
I'm interested to hear how Harris handles this with you.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Gents,

After the last few batches of Sato round cans and oval cans - much interest has been building in my repair jobs and finished results.

This thread is dedicated to Akra systems, info regarding them, and all the differences I find... and of course the documenting of repairs that I do.
So, as a fair few members are now sending in Akra exhaust systems for repairs... It seems I am going to be very busy this winter.:D
This first system is an Akra full system for Sp1.

The header pipes and collector are thin wall stainless, three piece setup with non-removable flanges and round shaped ports for sp1.

You can notice the two tapered sections on the front pipe and the rear pipe... right after the first bend off the cylinder head = horsepower.
The system again tapers up to 60mm at the mid pipe and the inner muffler core tapers back down to a varying outlet end cap size... there are a few different size outlets and baffle size at the outlets.

Interesting to see again... different combinations.
More soon.
On the SP2 exhaust, because of the "D" shaped SP2 exhaust ports, Akrapovic uses a CNC milled insert that matches the exhaust port web and allows exhaust flow to smoothly flow into the head pipe.

The insert is secured using a larger aluminum flange, similar to that used with the SP1.

The Akrapovic head pipe is a slip joint affair that is secured to the exhaust flange using springs.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the front heads header pipe and rear heads header pipe off of the sp2 full akra system, after fine grit sanding and final polishing.
I am working on the collector setup and mid pipes now.
The cans are apart, I am waiting on a back order of 6 bags of packing :eek::confused::D I will post pics as I polish all the small bit for the cans too... before re-assembly begins.

More soon ;):cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Looks incredible, buddy. You clearly don't do anything by halves. Looking forward to seeing it all complete and on Nobody's bike!!

Did you get the replacement strap from Harris yet? If not let me know... I got a package from them this week, perhaps they sent it in there... I didn't open it yet as I've been busy...

·
Registered
729 Posts
We use a strongish Nitric acid mix to "pickle" or passivate the stainless tanks in the brewery
it may work very well on stainless pipes ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts