RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike in for a valve adjustment the other day and it's finally ready. I called the guy and asked how bad it was, apparently all 8 valves were off. I didn't realize it could get so bad, I only have 16k miles on it.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Interesting. I'm fairly new to the Honda V's, but that's the first I've heard of needing adjustment at 16,000. I'm curious to know more details if you can get them. How far out are your measurments? Is one out more than another? etc. etc.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I only had two out of adjustment after 18K, What did they charge you for shims??? I am curious if they used new ones or just swapped some around and charged you.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I only had one exhaust slightly out at 16K, and one intake and one exhaust out at 32K.
Both at the rear cylinder. Front cylinder fine this check.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy told me that he swapped two and had to use 6 new ones, and he charged 4.95 per shim. And as for how far out they were, he said they were pretty bad, but didn't give me numbers.

Edit: Normally, I'm with b.miller on issues concerning bike maintainance, however, I just don't trust myself with valves. Furthermore, this shop came highly recommended from several of my friends who also ride.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
The guy told me that he swapped two and had to use 6 new ones, and he charged 4.95 per shim. And as for how far out they were, he said they were pretty bad, but didn't give me numbers.

Edit: Normally, I'm with b.miller on issues concerning bike maintainance, however, I just don't trust myself with valves. Furthermore, this shop came highly recommended from several of my friends who also ride.
Well I would hope like hell this mechanic would have a sheet where he wrote down the preliminary numbers did some simple math and then re-shimmed the valves.

I really like having my MMI trained brother around for jobs like this....:D

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
That is just unheard of.....I hope all is well after your repairs. Makes me wonder what your 32,000 mile check up will net for you?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm hoping they won't be that bad, as I make sure to take care of my bike very very well, I'm afraid that the previous owner may not have.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I took my bike in for a valve adjustment the other day and it's finally ready. I called the guy and asked how bad it was, apparently all 8 valves were off. I didn't realize it could get so bad, I only have 16k miles on it.
with other bikes i have had i found if the valves are off to much the bike is very hard to start or wont start <

1 - 19 of 19 Posts