RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
From an unrelated article on sports viewership, overall viewing of F1 races has been declining, mostly because fans no longer consider the sport "exciting".
This was attributed to the recent changes, where the current much quieter turbo cars are compared to Prius racing.
Bernie may need to reevaluate his empire and start backing off the price tag, lest he see his sport dwindle more.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
You said it ! You do have ESP N >:)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Dorna just does suck balls, but not sure why it's relevant here. Madbayer, have you been drinking again? :D

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Well with so many people staring down at their smart phone like zombies these days, it seems not much else is exciting to them.

I know of several 'kids' in their 20's now who had no interest in driving when they turned the age to be eligible. That was incredibly shocking to me ... as every single person I ever knew before that was at the DMV on the very day of their 16th birthday to take their driving test and get their license.

I guess it makes me old to observe that younger folks today don't care as much to enjoy the freedom of driving (riding!) as soon as humanly possible like it used to be ... but those same people are also not as likely to care about racing ... of any kind.

Where is this all headed? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Yep, it's horrible. Whilst in Portugal this summer I had dinner with a couple of female friends from my childhood. They told me some of the dates they go out with sit at a dinner table looking at their phones and texting, etc. WTF! :eek: - that's impolite when a lady makes an effort to dress up to go out with you for an evening.

Most of my male cousins (I have about 30 in all) of my age like cars and some like bikes too, but the youngest who are in their 20's are only interested in cars which have Bluetooth and are Automatic, easy to drive, etc. with all the modern gizmos.
Said younger cousins father had a beautiful 1987 911 Carrera Turbo in California, which was an amazing car. I loved driving that when I was in my 20's.
His kids didn't want it, so out of revenge he sold it a couple of years ago, along with his 1968 Carrera 356 convertible.

Told him he should have given the 911 Turbo to me, I'd have looked after it, but by then it was too late! :(

I expect we'll have Prius GP someday and one of the skills will be how much you can text per lap. :p Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Seriously though, the reasons for the decline in interest are today's draconian speeding laws, cars that are too complicated for teenagers to tinker on together with their fathers and fuel, etc. getting so much more expensive than in previous generations.

Fortunately my son who is 3 can already recognise a Skyline, or RX-7 and tell the difference between a performance car and one that isn't. He loves riding on his CRF50 with me and also on the Husky 450, sitting on the front. Why? Because it's loud & fast.
Just gotta get them hooked as early as possible. Go-carting will come when he's around 5 and it'll progress. He won't have a "smart" phone till he's an adult, these can make us stupid! :p
We don't have the TV hooked up to the wall and it's just a smallish flat screen. Kids should be outside playing around, getting bruised and being creative - whilst learning with other kids, not watching mindless TV, messaging their friends, or playing computer games.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
aw man i'd kill for a 356. my grandfather had two, but sold them long before my time.

if i ever have kids they'll know the value of mechanical inclination. sadly dirty hands aren't cool anymore, but they should be

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Prices of classic Porsche parts got too much for my uncle. Couple of $100 for switches, things like that. Probably worse now.

I remember driving the 356 in Toronto where it was stored for some years whilst he & family were living outside the U.S. and people giving the thumbs up, or saying "nice replica". :p

I was just talking with a friend on Facetime who moved back to the States about how to cultivate the interest his teenage son is developing in cars (I got my buddy a stunning Skyline GT-R which helped spark his son's enthusiasm). We agreed probably best to buy him his first car now and let him fix it up. Something simple and mechanical like a Beetle.
My son already plays with nuts and bolts and loses my tools, but it's a small price to pay. It starts like that, as early as possible...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
i started with an 86 mazda rx7 gx. pretty easy car to work on actually, and given their tendency to flood in the cold you learn a lot about them getting them running again. i sold it to buy my first bike and that's when the real wrenching began

i WILL own a porsche one day, i'm kind of done with the japanese boy racer cars.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Better buy one sooner than later, air cooled Porsches are going nuts now and set to continue rising in value.
Told my uncle not to sell, but he wanted sweet revenge on his kids for taking no interest in them so he shot himself in the foot! :p

I'm in the business of Japanese & European Modern Classics so the interest will always be there for me, but the only car I aspire to these days is a modern GT3 RS with manual transmission. Don't really like any of that glorified automatic stuff. :D
Someday, maybe.... Too many toys and not enough time to play as it is. Wasteful & shameful, but that's family life.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
that's my car. a 997 gt3 rs 6 spd. the 991 is gorgeous but pdk only kills it for me.

i figure that's one of the last pure driver's cars from porsche, i NEED one!

it'll be quite a few yrs before i'll be able to have one though

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Manual cars like these will become more sought after by purists & appreciate as a result over time. I know people who have had GT3 RS 997, very fast cars, but I've seen the block can crack, etc. they're not without their problems. Fantastic machines though. Shame they're only PDK for the newest ones.

Even the 911 Turbo was a beautiful experience to drive, considering it was built in the 80's. Didn't much like the Boxter, which gave quite a lot of "safety" under steer on tight corners, but then it was an early base model (Rental from Europcar, which went back with completely bald tyres after 2 days :D) - they're probably better now. Not all Porsche are a great experience to drive. Wouldn't want a Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. Haven't yet driven a GT3 RS, but I just know I'd love it. Family owned Porsche 911's by my dad & uncle left a seed planted within. Came close to buying a 964 Carrera 2 10 years ago, but didn't because it leaked too much oil, etc.

I looked back some years ago and realised I could have bought a new GT3 RS easily with all I spent tuning, improving Japanese cars, racing, etc. but then I'd have had to save & not enjoy the times I did before settling down and I'd have been very frustrated saving for years to do that whilst not enjoying motorsports. Not realistic. I wouldn't have had that level of self-control if I tired anyways. :D

Ah well, someday...maybe. Good to dream and make these things come true anyways. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yep, it's horrible. Whilst in Portugal this summer I had dinner with a couple of female friends from my childhood. They told me some of the dates they go out with sit at a dinner table looking at their phones and texting, etc. WTF! :eek: - that's impolite when a lady makes an effort to dress up to go out with you for an evening.

Most of my male cousins (I have about 30 in all) of my age like cars and some like bikes too, but the youngest who are in their 20's are only interested in cars which have Bluetooth and are Automatic, easy to drive, etc. with all the modern gizmos.
Said younger cousins father had a beautiful 1987 911 Carrera Turbo in California, which was an amazing car. I loved driving that when I was in my 20's.
His kids didn't want it, so out of revenge he sold it a couple of years ago, along with his 1968 Carrera 356 convertible.

Told him he should have given the 911 Turbo to me, I'd have looked after it, but by then it was too late! :(

I expect we'll have Prius GP someday and one of the skills will be how much you can text per lap. :p Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Seriously though, the reasons for the decline in interest are today's draconian speeding laws, cars that are too complicated for teenagers to tinker on together with their fathers and fuel, etc. getting so much more expensive than in previous generations.

Fortunately my son who is 3 can already recognise a Skyline, or RX-7 and tell the difference between a performance car and one that isn't. He loves riding on his CRF50 with me and also on the Husky 450, sitting on the front. Why? Because it's loud & fast.
Just gotta get them hooked as early as possible. Go-carting will come when he's around 5 and it'll progress. He won't have a "smart" phone till he's an adult, these can make us stupid! :p
We don't have the TV hooked up to the wall and it's just a smallish flat screen. Kids should be outside playing around, getting bruised and being creative - whilst learning with other kids, not watching mindless TV, messaging their friends, or playing computer games.
My 10yr Old is a car nut / bike nut and obviously this isn't the norm these day's but it's in his blood and I know where he got it >:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Stig - when I first joined you asked to see my other project and my son has helped me every step of the way. Quick synopsis Purchased the car in 1996 - two different engine combinations using GM's LT1 and Nitrous and now we have Turbo Charged LS1 (expect to be about 700 a the wheel). Here are a few pics
First / Second Motor based on stock block

Current Motor and suspension under the car (it's a Convertible Pontiac Trans Am)

Here is the little Gearhead / PetrolHead with racing legend Big Daddy Don Garlits! We love all motorsports but bikes are our first loves!

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Happy days!! Just got off the phone with the current owner of my favourite car I've built - and I'm buying it back off him! :D :D :D Newera Imports - home / stock / carDetails

I sold it to a customer & friend 2 years ago, as I have a better one (Same full race spec mechanicals but only 850kg weight -it's not a road car by any stretch) and couldn't envisage ever needing two, but have always felt a hankeing to have it back since.

It'll go into storage & be occasionally driven - and stay in the UK for 3 years or so.
Truth is I simply don't have the time or decent storage space to keep it mothballed as it deserves here in Japan.... yet.>:)

Amongst several building projects planned at home is a 6 car & 5 bike garage with 2 lifts, full tools including lathes, an office upstairs (I work from home) and possibly a paint area (I can paint, but it's a messy business, so maybe best to keep using a local friendly paint shop that does good work).

The intention is that this, being the car I've had most fun in by far in my entire life - this will one day be my (currently 3 years old) son's. In say about 15 years...... along with other very interesting built cars incl a forged engined E30 M3 and a very nutty but stealth RX-7..etc. :surprise:

Oh & Bikes!!!!! - 6 of them, maybe. :p

The garage will give him the opportunity I already know he wants - because I can already see a passion for mechanical things burning in his wide happy eyes.
No doubt he'll become an amazingly talented machine builder, by starting this young, how could he fail? :grin2:

Years ago I remember asking on this forum how we can inspire our kids to like machines + tinkering on them and what people's experiences were during their childhood.
A young lady who was restoring her SP2 explained that her dad always made it fun for her to play with mechanical things and gave her opportunities.

So that's the key, as I see it now. Give my son the opportunity to play with things he loves and through play he'll build a passion that will last a lifetime and maybe give him skills he can use to make a living with in future too.

The kids are also seeing how buildings are made and how to farm food, etc. b.

Anyways, I'm elated after speaking with Steve and knowing it will be a done deal in a week or so. Someday
mMy son's gonna have the biggest smile on his face drifting in it with me. Unfortunately he's too small to look out of the window. Last time I drifted for 10 mins with a 10 year old in the passenger seat, he turned very pale and puked as I pulled off the circuit at the end of a session. LMAO >:)

Reactions: Burntclutches

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Stig - when I first joined you asked to see my other project and my son has helped me every step of the way. Quick synopsis Purchased the car in 1996 - two different engine combinations using GM's LT1 and Nitrous and now we have Turbo Charged LS1 (expect to be about 700 a the wheel). Here are a few pics
First / Second Motor based on stock block

Current Motor and suspension under the car (it's a Convertible Pontiac Trans Am)

Here is the little Gearhead / PetrolHead with racing legend Big Daddy Don Garlits! We love all motorsports but bikes are our first loves!

Looks amazing, Burntclutches! :nerd::surprise:
Very inspiring to see you did this level of work with your son, like seeing myself and mine when he's your son's age.

More pics please, we want to see the car itself, interior, etc - don't be shy, that's beautiful work & looks like a lot of love's gone into it. Someday I'll do the same with my son. Don't think my daughter (6) will be getting into cars, but she enjoys riding the CRF50 by herself, so never say never.

Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Looks amazing, Burntclutches! :nerd::surprise:
Very inspiring to see you did this level of work with your son, like seeing myself and mine when he's your son's age.

More pics please, we want to see the car itself, interior, etc - don't be shy, that's beautiful work & looks like a lot of love's gone into it. Someday I'll do the same with my son. Don't think my daughter (6) will be getting into cars, but she enjoys riding the CRF50 by herself, so never say never.

Thanks!
Thank you for the kind words but as an OCD person I often wonder why my car friends don't go to the same level as I do LOL! Yes you will have a new outlook on life when you son starts working on projects with you at least I did... So as requested more pics and sorry for hi-jacking the thread :wink2:
Exterior with Top Down ( I live in Florida and it's usually down)

Interior (it's all white and you wouldn't believe the difference it makes in temperature - did I mention I live in FL?)

Here is my attempt at Photography

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Wow!!! What 2 cool sleepers! :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts