RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into upgrading my exhaust. I don't track it, so just street use. Mainly for a better sound. My stockers just don't do it justice. I want deeeeeep tone like the Yosh. I heard them on an 05 rc51 and my buddy's 02 954. Love it. Looking to keep my original mounting point, not hi-mount, and hopefully not much louder than the yosh. My favorite is the yosh rs3 w/polish finish.
The harris is cool too, but haven't heard of anyone running them.

Ok, all that said, I'm finding used systems hard to find. That's more my budget. And new is getting scarce too. At least what I'm looking for. sato, akra, yosh, harris. Finding fitment for sp1 is almost impossible. SP2 fitment has more options.

So my question: Is it as simple as switching my sp1 header for a sp2 header so I can use a sp2 exhaust? All suggestions appreciated.

·
Banned
427 Posts
you can just switch to a sp2 header and buy whatever you like

i can have custom ovals made the same size as yosh and i also have sp2 low mount silver mids in stock i can cust you a smoking deal one a new set if you like?

used sp2 headers are around $150ish

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm looking into upgrading my exhaust. I don't track it, so just street use. Mainly for a better sound. My stockers just don't do it justice. I want deeeeeep tone like the Yosh. I heard them on an 05 rc51 and my buddy's 02 954. Love it. Looking to keep my original mounting point, not hi-mount, and hopefully not much louder than the yosh. My favorite is the yosh rs3 w/polish finish.
The harris is cool too, but haven't heard of anyone running them.

Ok, all that said, I'm finding used systems hard to find. That's more my budget. And new is getting scarce too. At least what I'm looking for. sato, akra, yosh, harris. Finding fitment for sp1 is almost impossible. SP2 fitment has more options.

So my question: Is it as simple as switching my sp1 header for a sp2 header so I can use a sp2 exhaust? All suggestions appreciated.
Hello, I hope you dont mind me jumping in on your discussion.
I to have been looking for a new/used end cans and link pipes and I agree there is more options if your have a SP2 than a SP1, but I thought the headers are different where they connect to the head ie the SP1s are round and the SP2s are square ish, I havent seen a SP2s headers so cant say yes or no.
But its very tempting to modify or change the original headers on my SP1 to suit the fitment of the SP2s range of cans.
As for Harris ( I assume you mean the Harris in England) I emailed them and they said they dont make them for the SP1 any more I was gutted. But Leo Vince still make sets for the SP1 as do Remus..... well last time I looked.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
i will have a set of Arrows, up for sale if interested. they sound great and are 9/10.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2450

Thats my bike with the cans, no scratches or dents. mid pipes have the standard wear discoloring, but thats all.

Ill be home in a month if youd like some close ups (thats when id be able to send it, first week of april). I'd do 150 plus shipping for a forum member or a trade for some parts, if you have anything interesting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2450

Thats my bike with the cans, no scratches or dents. mid pipes have the standard wear discoloring, but thats all.

Ill be home in a month if youd like some close ups (thats when id be able to send it, first week of april). I'd do 150 plus shipping for a forum member or a trade for some parts, if you have anything interesting.
They look good! The only problem is that I live In England so postage maybe difficult.....but they do look good! How are the cans fitted to the link pipes, cant see any springs.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Ha ya know what? i honestly cannot remember. its been 7 months since i've seen it. its been in my storage. let you know when i get back?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can just switch to a sp2 header and buy whatever you like

i can have custom ovals made the same size as yosh and i also have sp2 low mount silver mids in stock i can cust you a smoking deal one a new set if you like?

used sp2 headers are around $150ish
I was searching a little on FireBlades to find an answer and came across the post from our forum 'touchstone' Subsailor from august 2010:

"The Akrapovic full system comes with aluminum exhaust flanges with D-shaped inserts to match the D-shaped exhaust ports on the SP2.
The SP1 used round exhaust ports, so the inserts would not work."

"Tsukigi makes a full titanium system, but unfortunately, only for SP2."

So I'm confused now. I'm understanding the 00-01 will have round exhaust ports where the 02-up will have D-shaped exhaust ports. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And then this, from 11/08, also from FireBlades:

SP-1/SP-2 exhaust headers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a bit of discussion about differences and whether they will interchange, but having just tried it, I thought I'd mention what I found.

The SP-1 heads are a different part number to the SP-2 (although cams are the same).

SP-1 exhaust port outlet is round.

SP-1 header is round.

SP-2 header is OVAL(ish) and NOT round.

So the internal shape of the headers and exhaust port in the head is different and if you swap headers, either way, you will get a significant step which IMO MUST upset the gasflow and affect performance.

However, I don't actually know the shape of the SP-2 exhaust port in the head, but I suspect it is oval to complement the shape of the header.

So my conclusion is it is not really feasible to swap headers:-(

·
Registered
138 Posts
The exhaust port on the SP2 is D-shaped, like the flange on the header. The D-shape is to increase inner radius gas velocity. This helps the exhaust gases leave the system faster thus improving performance.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But its very tempting to modify or change the original headers on my SP1 to suit the fitment of the SP2s range of cans.
I was on that same train of thought. spent more than a few hours researching yesterday and it paid off. I found a solution, I found some great sp2 yosh cans, and I found a 'project sp2 header', Thanks Ben @ RC51parts.com! And I got my inspiration from this thread. Post 1, 7, 12, and 14 are the meat of the topic: very informative...

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-technical-discussion/52156-some-differences-between-sp1-sp2-headers.html

Looks like it worked for DougS. Post 12 that is. I'm going to do the same thing. In theory, then my sp1 will effectively accept any sp2 slip-on system. Probably take me a month or so to get the parts and get it done, and if i'm not to lazy i'll chronicle/photograph this project.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Did you try Hindle or HMF??

Screw it just get the Black Dragon units....thats what I would be using now had I not found a set of beautiful Satos...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was on that same train of thought. spent more than a few hours researching yesterday and it paid off. I found a solution, I found some great sp2 yosh cans, and I found a 'project sp2 header', Thanks Ben @ RC51parts.com! And I got my inspiration from this thread. Post 1, 7, 12, and 14 are the meat of the topic: very informative...

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-technical-discussion/52156-some-differences-between-sp1-sp2-headers.html

Looks like it worked for DougS. Post 12 that is. I'm going to do the same thing. In theory, then my sp1 will effectively accept any sp2 slip-on system. Probably take me a month or so to get the parts and get it done, and if i'm not to lazy i'll chronicle/photograph this project.
Great post and research johndog9 the pictures show the difference brilliantly. The combination of both headers makes sense to me, like you the money side is a problem. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I was searching a little on FireBlades to find an answer and came across the post from our forum 'touchstone' Subsailor from august 2010:

"The Akrapovic full system comes with aluminum exhaust flanges with D-shaped inserts to match the D-shaped exhaust ports on the SP2.
The SP1 used round exhaust ports, so the inserts would not work."

So I'm confused now. I'm understanding the 00-01 will have round exhaust ports where the 02-up will have D-shaped exhaust ports. What am I missing here?
Photo of the SP2 D-shaped exhaust port

Photo of the Akrapovic SP2 full system exhaust port insert and flange.
While not perfectly aligned in the photo, you'll notice the insert extends the exhaust port webbing into the head pipe.
This also smooths and directs exhaust flow into the head pipe.
A very nice touch I might add. I was impressed with the attention to detail.

Photo of the Akrapovic full system exhaust port insert and flange with the front head pipe.

·
Banned
427 Posts

i bet is will cost you more then the SP2 OEM header to chop your SP1 to work with SP2 pipes;)

·
Banned
427 Posts
Yes I agree with you Mrgrn, but if you are after a certain type of look or manufacturer then SP2 headers could be the only route.:confused:
yes, then buy a SP2 header

i have recently bought two for customers for that very reason

I am all for mods but havking a SP1 header to make it a SP2 to save a few bucks is not a easy mod. it would suck to total your SP1 header trying to get i to work when you could have just bought a SP2 header and mounted it to use the SP2 slip-ons is all

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice, it's good advice, and I've considered your points. I bought a sound sp2 header from RC51parts.com for 80 bucks, thanks Ben! Yea, I could just use that, but I want to address the round vs oval thing. I'm not advanced in understanding everything about the importance of exhaust flow, but it seems to me that about 10% +/- of the exhaust leaving the sp1 engine port will bounce backwards off the top and bottom lip of the sp2 oval pipe. Subsailor posted pics of the Akrapovic insert (thanks again) that demonstrates their attention to streamlining the exhaust flow. That's why I want to do this. My skills are good enough to do all the measuring, cutting, fitting and tack-welding. My buddy Barry is an expert sheetmetal welder, so that's free to me too. So for an 80 dollar sp2 header, and a days labor from me, my sp1 has a super-budget custom header and I'm open to install any sp2 slip-ons.

The verdict is in: I'm gonna do it :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts