RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been thinking of other things that may be helpful to the rc51 gang and i have a few brewing, but i'd be curious if there is interest before pursuing design and manufacture of them, so i'm reaching out to you guys for input. work is really slow right now so i have quite a bit of time to work on other things.

1. trunk lid/passenger seat quick release.

i built one for my bike where i ran a cable down the side of the subframe and dropped it out just below the front plastic bolt for the tail section. just a quick pull on the cable will release the trunk lid, it's discreet and simple. i could make these fairly easily. would anyone want one? much easier than fumbling with the key

2. ride height adjustable top shock clevis

i discussed this with duckhunter and think it would be pretty straight forward to do. i have to pull my shock to do a spring change anyway so i can probably draw one up pretty easily. basically it'll be a clevis that will allow for ride height adjustment. simply loosen the nut under the tank, then adjust height using a second nut underneath the frame, then simply torque it all up. the big advantage here would be that you can make ride height adjustments with the stock shock, and also without having to unload the swingarm and remove the shock/link bolt (with the ohlins) or drop the clevis to install washers (stock). adjustment range would probably be from stock height to maybe +10mm.

3. plug and play garage door opener

i already have one of these in my bike. i'm thinking about building more if there is interest. simply plug it in parallel with the horn (i'll supply the electric connectors to do this). a tap of the horn button will open the door. this could also be installed into the high beam circuit so a flash of the brights would accomplish the same thing

would anyone be interested if i were to proceed with these? just seeing if i can help out some people with stuff i've done on mine.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Garage door opener, activated by high-beams. Don't like the horn idea, but that's just me being incognito. I don't want to draw audible attention to my neighbors or passers-by when I open up my garage door.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Garage door opener, activated by high-beams. Don't like the horn idea, but that's just me being incognito. I don't want to draw audible attention to my neighbors or passers-by when I open up my garage door.
As if the RC isn't drawing enough audible attention itself... lol.

I'd be in for one, but wondering how it will be universal to work with everyone's opener, and size of the unit.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the owner will need a door opener that learns to listen for frequencies, I'll have to research which ranges doors use to ensure compatibility

I disconnected my horn and replaced it with the opener, I never use the horn anyway

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
In Sacramento, I'd never not have a horn. Just saying...
Draginknee- Lol, good point. But I roll in my neighborhood as quietly and courteously as possible. No blips, low rpm's.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
In Sacramento, I'd never not have a horn. Just saying...
Draginknee- Lol, good point. But I roll in my neighborhood as quietly and courteously as possible. No blips, low rpm's.
@jondog9 I thought the middle finger was more requisite than the horn, or are they a matched set?:grin2:

My garage door opener is smaller than most car key fobs and fit nicely in my pocket.

Nice idea for those with suit cased sized openers.

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I'd be in for a garage door remote. Horn would be fine for me. Use it less than the high beams.

If you were really feeling adventurous you could you do the Gilles chain adjusters that have become unobtanium.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I'd be in for a garage door remote. Horn would be fine for me. Use it less than the high beams.

If you were really feeling adventurous you could you do the Gilles chain adjusters that have become unobtanium.
Will and I spoke about that one too,see where it goes.
I have a spare set to lend if things start to happen with it.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Garage door opener wired to high beams is of interest (I have 3 bikes) but I have that many garage doors as well.

Have pics of your ride height adjustable top shock clevis? Think this is of interest.

Thanx for offering.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What Duckhunter said... "If you were really feeling adventurous you could you do the Gilles chain adjusters that have become unobtanium".

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doubt I could produce the chain adjusters for a reasonable price. there are too many parts.

I'll post a pic of the clevis once I have it drawn up

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
unplug the horn and connnect the door opener. the way i set it up is that you put 12 volts to the door opener and it will open the door. so if you unplug the horn, you still get 12 volts to the wires by pressing the button.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Alternatively you could just splice into the horn wires and not disconnect it and have both... hopefully you aren't driving by anyone's garage who is on the same frequency as yours at the time, lol.

JonDog9 - You are a much nicer neighbor than I. I am in competition with my boss'/neighbor's teenagers and their loud mustang and truck... and the other neighbor on the side of me has two Harleys... can't let him be the loudest one on two wheels 'round here, lol.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alternatively you could just splice into the horn wires and not disconnect it and have both... hopefully you aren't driving by anyone's garage who is on the same frequency as yours at the time, lol.

JonDog9 - You are a much nicer neighbor than I. I am in competition with my boss'/neighbor's teenagers and their loud mustang and truck... and the other neighbor on the side of me has two Harleys... can't let him be the loudest one on two wheels 'round here, lol.
I'll supply spade splitters so you literally just unplug the horn, plug in the splitters, then plug in both the horn and the door opener. simple simple

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll supply spade splitters so you literally just unplug the horn, plug in the splitters, then plug in both the horn and the door opener. simple simple
Boom... and if you want to move it to another bike, you just pick up some more spade splitters and plug it in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts