RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i think i read every fl post i could find but didnt find the excact one. 2001 rc51 sp1. been running like crud, sometimes wont start or turnover. just a click then lights out. found a loose ground wire, tightened it and went to test service connector again. i had previously cleared the codes, now when i turn key on with or without the service connector jumpered i get a solid light, no blinks. so if that is an accurate code is there a way to check for an open or short in the mil wire and/or test for a faulty ecm? thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can say coming from a VFR800 that faulty grounds will wreck havoc on the FI system. Take all plastics off and 1st go and clean with a wire brush all ground connections. Then one at a time pull each connector and check for a solid connection. Start there.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Many electrical problems start with corrosion of electrical contacts, from rain or humidity.
This can especially be true with high current contacts, such as alternator, starter relay, battery posts, etc.

When I had to replace my main wiring harnesses due to prior owner bastardization, one thing I noticed were a plethora of "green" contacts from corrosion.
Whenever a contact becomes corroded, it creates a resistive element across the contacts.

For low power components, it decreases the current, which might affect operation.
For high power components (alternator, starter relay, starter motor, etc.), the added resistance creates heat, which may cause overheated contacts or melting. For battery posts or main ground lead, it can cause charging issues.

I bought a tube of dielectric grease at an auto parts store (one 5 oz. tube lasts forever) and put a dab into every electrical connector on the bike. Including all connectors, battery posts, ground leads, etc.

If it flows electrons, it got dosed. Since then, I have had zero electrical issues.
It is dirt cheap insurance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that sounds like a good tip, ty. ive been going thru the wires. no green corrosion so far, just dust(live on dirt road). what did you use to clean the connector pins? or is that even necessary? getting ready to start checking for proper continuity and resistance

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
that sounds like a good tip, ty. ive been going thru the wires. no green corrosion so far, just dust(live on dirt road). what did you use to clean the connector pins? or is that even necessary? getting ready to start checking for proper continuity and resistance
Since I had to replace the harnesses on the RC51, all the contacts were new/pristine. The dielectric grease helps keep them that way.
On my other bikes, I just disconnected/reconnected several times to rub/polish the surface oxidation off prior to applying the dielectric grease.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts