RC51 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this bike up last Saturday. She's in pretty sad shape, not rideable at the moment...I wanted a project. and this is it! It's an 01, salvage title, indeterminate mileage, and not very expensive...it runs, and the motor sounds good. This one joins two others in the garage, an 03 BMW K1200GT, and an 08 CBR100RR...both great bikes in their own way. In the short time I've been lurking I've learned a lot...maybe I'll get to ride with one or two of you one day.

Patrick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Yeah she's in pretty sad shape.
However, if most of the major pieces are still good, she can be good as new with time and money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oddly enough, the plastic is all in good shape, even cut for frame sliders (they're missing) and I was very surprised that the bodywork is all fiberglass, not ABS! That turns out to be a good thing 'cause the bike fell on it's side on the ride home and cracked the front fender...easy fix. to be rideable it needs:
battery
clutch lever
right side foot peg and brake pedal
front brake pads
fork seals (leaked all over the brake pads)
a thorough inspection and bolt check (missing, loose)
new fluids
and some luck!

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
If you're using this as a winter project, the I'd remove the bodywork and go over the bike and make a list of things that need checking or replacing.

It sounds like the poor baby was abused judging by the bodywork and leaky fork seals.
I have no idea what the wiring harnesses look like.
I also see it's missing a headlight as well.

I had mine apart for over 5 months last year going over it fixing/replacing most everything I found wrong.
I admit I sank a lot of money into that bike last year. But I got tired of the previous owners abuse and wanted her to be right.

So every year I make a list of to-do's for the bike and start slowly gathering needed or required items. Then in the fall or winter, I put her down and work on her.
I guess I'll eventually run out of things to do. But not yet.

If you're going to replace the fork seals, you might want to think about re-valving the forks and re-springing them to your weight. Makes a lot of difference.
When you have the calipers off to clean and replace the pads, be sure and scrub around the pistons with a soft bristle brush to clean the pad dust and grime out of the seal area. Makes the brakes work better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subsailor - Thanks for the tips! I need to pick up a shop manual, some of the wiring in the tail has been butchered...who knows what I'll find in other areas. First order of business is to make it rideable so I can make sure the clutch and transmission work...if that's all good then back apart to to thoroughly look at everything. Fortunately I have 2 other bikes so I can still ride when I want :D Our 6 weeks of "winter" just started, so I better get busy on my project ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. I'm in your neck of the woods and just picked up an '03 a couple weeks ago. I got it registered this weekend and took it out for a couple rides. I'm really enjoying it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats.

For a second, I thought it was my friend's RC51, since his is also painted pumpkin burnt orange. Have fun riding your new toy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe it was your friends bike...how many could there be this color? BTW, it's getting the flat black treatment until I can decide what the final look is going to be...the flat burnt orange look isn't really workin' for me...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Iminocca,

If you get stuck, Chris at MotoGP Werks (www.motogpwerks.com) in Orange is a fantastic mechanic, fabricator, tuner, etc.; he's honest and fair. He engineered exhausts for Yoshimura and FMF, was a MotoGP mechanic/tech for Red Bull Yamaha and AMA Attack Kawasaki, and previously worked for Britten. He can work on just about everything. Chris also has a great relationship with Buddha Paint, who can paint anything from old school bikes, custom stretched Hayabusas and race replicas.

Our "winters" in Orange County are relative. Lows of about 60 degrees in the day, and mostly sunny. So, the sooner you get that RC51 fixed, the sooner you can ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Old Guy ( I'm one too, BTW)

Funny you should mention Chris...I had seen his shop mentioned elsewhere in the forum and brought my fork tubes to him just this morning to have the seals replaced. I was very impressed with the scope of his knowledge and his down to earth manner...he will be my go to guy when I get stuck for ideas or time to work on the bike. I live about 5 mi. from his shop, pretty convenient!

I'm really looking forward to riding the Ortega Hwy. on it! Bet it'll be the only RC in Hell's Kitchen's parking lot...unless of course you're there too :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts