RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know there have been a lot of guys post about this but I haven't really seen a solid answer that would fit my situation. I have a stock 03 with with slip on jardines. No pc but keep in mind there wasn't one in the bike when I got it and this was not an issue until recently. Suddenly my bike idles down when I come to a stop. I've adjusted the idle at temp to 1500 yet it immediately idles down to that then it's like the computer adjusts and idles down again to around 1k shortly after it will dip below that and die. It seems to run perfect when cold but this issue starts as it gets to temp. Plus it always restarts with no issue and runs perfect under power with no additional issues. I'm open to ideas. Any takers?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mileage? When was the last time you changed or checked your air filters. FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) would be a good start or Fuel pump. Mine just started acting fuel starved, sluggish, and idling low and has an obvious fuel smell when starting and i'm having to give a little throttle to get it started. I'm just at 13K miles so i'm starting with the easy and obvious. New oem air filters, new plugs, and FPR for starters which the manual says should be replaced anyway about this time. well Minus the FPR but I figured since i'm in there I might as well do it. hope that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mileage is just over 14k. Air filters look good and the plugs are 3 days old. I've considered the fpr. I need to look up how to test it again. I have noticed a fuel smell sometimes during startup.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Fuel Pressure Regulator might need to be replaced, common problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't had a chance to test the fpr but I ordered one anyway due to the number of guys that have had similar issues resolved by one. Will be here tomorrow and I have my fingers crossed, lol. Not sure where to go if that doesn't resolve the issue but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
You can simply pull the small vac hose off the fpr, then turn the key so the fuel pump primes. Any gas dripping out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'd seen this before but hadn't had time with school and work to open it up. I know the PO had this bike for 5 years and put less than 1500 miles on it too so I am sure it needs replaced anyway. Besides for $40 it's a good place to start. Thanks for the pic though, will make this process painless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I set it at 185. But as I mentioned earlier, it will drop to that as I stop then then a second or two later it drops down again almost as if the computer is compensating for the high idle and correcting itself.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Also if you have done the flapper mod which I figure you have make sure that whatever means you have used to plug that line back to the throttle bodies has not come loose. A small leak from the TB can mimic the symptoms your bike is having.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I finally got a chance to test the fpr and that's definitely my culprit. After priming priming the pump it gives me a very steady drip, almost to the point of a light stream... New one arrives tomorrow so I can't wait, lol.

·
Registered
198 Posts
May be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyway. After you guys take off that hose to the FPR and it primes, what am I supposed to see happen? Also, FEBS, where did you order your FPR from that you are supposed to get it tomorrow. I know I ordered mine before yours from Bike Bandit and paid $27 for Express shipping and that bad boy ain't even shipped yet. Was hoping to get it and my air cleaners before the long weekend. Wonder if getting OEM makes it take longer? or maybe it was because I ordered it with the filters also. No matter. It will get here when it gets here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It shouldn't do anything. And I ordered mine monday from partzilla with FedEx $8 shipping. FedEx is estimating my delivery tomorrow :)

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
May be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyway. After you guys take off that hose to the FPR and it primes, what am I supposed to see happen? Also, FEBS, where did you order your FPR from that you are supposed to get it tomorrow. I know I ordered mine before yours from Bike Bandit and paid $27 for Express shipping and that bad boy ain't even shipped yet. Was hoping to get it and my air cleaners before the long weekend. Wonder if getting OEM makes it take longer? or maybe it was because I ordered it with the filters also. No matter. It will get here when it gets here.
Not this! There should be zero sign of any gas or leaking at that nipple or the vacuum line itself.

http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=566745&postcount=6

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fpr showed up this afternoon as I was leaving for work. Can't wait to get home tonight. Also anyone have any input on pc3 vs pc5? Or ideas on cheapest/best place to order one?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts