RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing a side mount Steering Damper. i have a Matris Damper with a SP2 mount for my SP1 which does me no good, so i started looking into doing a side mount setup. Just wondering if anyone has one or maybe suggestions or ideas on the best way to do it.

The fork mounts are easy to find its just a matter of mounting it to the frame. Was thinking of drilling and using a threaded insert for it.

I've only seen one RC51 with a side mount and that was Damon Stewarts with his Ohlins setup. It looks like he used a threaded insert but i am not positive.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I have an Ohlins Damper, for side mounting- I do have many brackets for mounting ....
I would not suggest drilling holes in the frame of your bike...

Give me some discriptions of where you would want to mount the frame bracket..

On the Superhawk- the frame bracket uses the side radiator mounting holes, and replaces a spacer used between the radiator and frame..

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke with Damon about this. Found yet another difference between the SP1 and SP2. The SP2 came with a boss on the frame for mounting a side steering damper. On the SP1 you have to do what i originally thought and drill a hole in the frame and mount up a rib nut/threaded insert. Thats how Damon did his on his SP1.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good to know, thanks for the post Sub.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Actually I think this is pretty cool in that Honda/HRC incorporated these requests into their improved SP2 model when they didn't have to, is pretty cool.

They welded a lug onto the frame for use if someone might want to use a steering damper.
Just as they placed mount points on the right side engine mount if someone might want install a front mount radiator system and need to relocate the oil cooler to the right side.

No wonder they reportedly lost money on every bike.
A lot of care and attention.
Hmm...I wonder if CBRs are hand initialled?

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I think this is pretty cool in that Honda/HRC incorporated these requests into their improved SP2 model when they didn't have to, is pretty cool.

They welded a lug onto the frame for use if someone might want to use a steering damper.
Just as they placed mount points on the right side engine mount if someone might want install a front mount radiator system and need to relocate the oil cooler to the right side.

No wonder they reportedly lost money on every bike.
A lot of care and attention.
Hmm...I wonder if CBRs are hand initialled?
I agree, just goes to show you how serious they took suggestions for the SP2. Don't forget the addition of swingarm spools and trimmable SP2 subframe as well. This bike really was designed as Honda's race specific bike, all throughout the bike you can see where it's evident the trackday enthusiast and privateer amateur racer were kept in mind and given the option to modify the bike to their specifics. Really cool stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts