RC51 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Yes, I have changed more than 50 sets with mine. I've have 5~6 bikes at any given time since 2013. Got tired of paying $50 each for mount and balance (SF Bay Area prices). I bought the Harbor Freight stand, with the Motorcycle adapter, under $100 as I waited until they were on sale. I bought the wunder bar (I think) and the same guy sells some delrin or nylon inserts for the Harbor Freight stand so they don't scratch your wheels. Then I bought the Marc Parnes balancer and I was good to go. I already had plenty of tools and an air compressor. A bit of an investment, but the last straw was when I was riding a day after getting new tires, and my tire was really low. Had to bail on the ride and went home and the valve stem was leaking. Took it to the shop, and they fixed it, but then I noticed a week later they had put my front tire on backwards. I was done at that point.

All my buddies change their tires at my place too, so they give me plenty of beer, my fridge is always stocked, and if we go out to eat after a tire changing session, for some reason they will never let me pay..馃榾

Since then, we have started doing track days, so we change out our tires for slicks before the event. Because of all this, every ride starts and ends at my place, so I never have to go anywhere to "meet up", making it even more convenient. I also feel confident knowing my life is in MY hands, not some kid at the motorcycle shop who's girlfriend is cheating on him, and he doesn't give a crap about how my tires are mounted...

IT LOOKS LIKE THE MOTORCYCLE ADAPTER HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED

Manual Tire Changer

Harbor Freight MC tire changer - making it actually work

https://no-scufftiretool.com/

Registered
I mount and balance my own tires. Buying the tools to do it correctly was a great investment for me. I recommend watching a few youtube videos on changing motorcycle tires to get the gist of it.

I bought a Tusk wheel balancer, Motion Pro bead breakers, Motion Pro rim shields and wheel weights in 1/4 and 1/8 ounces.

Automotive tire Automotive design Wheel Tread Automotive wheel system

Premium Member
I do my own.

Bought the olmax kit from Poland and it has been fantastic. The owner Lukas was awesome to deal with and it shipped fast. Comes with everything you need and it's very well thought out. I've never changed a tire before, I did my RC tires on Marchesini wheels in about 20 mins. Once I figured it out, I could get it done start to finish in about 10-15 minutes.

Reactions: The Stig

Premium Member
I change my own too. Similar story to @RC51V-2.
I run carbon fibre rims, and once tried taking the rear wheel to the new local Honda dealer, with a tire for them to fit. I was asked to pay (equivalent of) $110. That was the last time I stepped into their store.
I own around 7 bikes, and work on all of them myself.

I learnt from the late Jondog9 - who was a great member of the RC51 community. Somewhere, if you search - you'll find his tutorial.

I use just basic tools & my 3-phase compressor.
Aside from said compressor, I use a simple home-made bead breaker, Motion Pro rim protectors & tire levers, and a Mark Parnes wheel balancer, which also works well for single sided swing arm wheels, off road bike wheels, etc.

By coincidence, the old local Honda dealer offered to give me their old electric wheel balancer for free last week, so I may start using that though I suspect it might take up too much space, and be relegated to another storage building.
The MP balancer is in a small box and can be used with two axle stands, so it sits in its box on a shelf with a pile of stick-on weights.

The tools GTS455 links look very interesting!

Registered
+1 to The Stig!

The Mark Parnes wheel balancer, is very portable. I take it to the track if needed, and also take it anywhere I go to buy used wheels to check if they are bent or out-of-round. I also just use my pitbull rear stand as my wheel balancing stand, since it works perfectly.

The tools GTS455 links look very interesting! - Yes, I might upgrade!

Premium Member
super easy once you get the hang of it and safe for all wheels.....first try was on powder coated marchesinis. Kit comes with everything you need.

Reactions: The Stig

Premium Member
super easy once you get the hang of it and safe for all wheels.....first try was on powder coated marchesinis. Kit comes with everything you need.
Hey Paul,
Based on your recommendation, and because I have a few tires I am planning to renew, I ordered an Olmax Motors tire changer last week.
I even bought a set of stainless spokes for my Husky motard this morning (from Sweden), as I figured it will now be relatively easy to remove and refit tires! 馃槑

Reactions: Gigantor24

Premium Member
NICE!!!! I think you will be happy with the purchase. Its already paid for itself in my garage. Lucas and his customer support was great too.

Premium Member
The Olmax video you posted above made it a no-brainer.

Mentioned I was going to order it, at least one (car) customer friend prefers to have me collect, maintain & return his bike, than having to go through the hassle of dropping it off at the Triumph dealer, and a few others will be happy to have another reason to come over.

just gotta wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive.

Premium Member
I thought about getting set up for that, but one horrible experience with the bead breaker fixed that. for the $40 per I pay on either bike (I remove and mount the wheels) the local tire shop mount and balance I can't be arsed doing it myself.
Stig, good to see you still around. I don't get ion here much myself anymore...

Premium Member
Hey Budoka,

Thanks for chiming in. Still around, though I don鈥檛 ride the SP2 as much as I used to, these days. I use it mostly for mountain rides, which I don鈥檛 do so often these days, as they鈥檙e hours away, rather than at our doorstep now.

I鈥檓 glad I learnt how to change tires, thanks to our friend Jondog9.

Together with our young son, we have around 10 bikes now, so tire changes have gotten more frequent.

Looking forward to receiving the tire changer I ordered recently, which should make it a breeze鈥

Reactions: 03rumblebee

Registered
I currently own 5 bikes and with getting back into the track scene and hoping to race next year. Plus the weekend rides and the occasional ride to work. I anticipate alot of tire changing as a matter of fact I'm going to be swapping some this weekend. I ordered a tire machine and balancer for my home shop and I love being able to do everything at home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts