RC51 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Premium Member
I change my own too. Similar story to @RC51V-2.
I run carbon fibre rims, and once tried taking the rear wheel to the new local Honda dealer, with a tire for them to fit. I was asked to pay (equivalent of) $110. That was the last time I stepped into their store.
I own around 7 bikes, and work on all of them myself.

I learnt from the late Jondog9 - who was a great member of the RC51 community. Somewhere, if you search - you'll find his tutorial.

I use just basic tools & my 3-phase compressor.
Aside from said compressor, I use a simple home-made bead breaker, Motion Pro rim protectors & tire levers, and a Mark Parnes wheel balancer, which also works well for single sided swing arm wheels, off road bike wheels, etc.

By coincidence, the old local Honda dealer offered to give me their old electric wheel balancer for free last week, so I may start using that though I suspect it might take up too much space, and be relegated to another storage building.
The MP balancer is in a small box and can be used with two axle stands, so it sits in its box on a shelf with a pile of stick-on weights.

The tools GTS455 links look very interesting!

Premium Member
super easy once you get the hang of it and safe for all wheels.....first try was on powder coated marchesinis. Kit comes with everything you need.
Hey Paul,
Based on your recommendation, and because I have a few tires I am planning to renew, I ordered an Olmax Motors tire changer last week.
I even bought a set of stainless spokes for my Husky motard this morning (from Sweden), as I figured it will now be relatively easy to remove and refit tires! 馃槑

Reactions: Gigantor24

Premium Member
The Olmax video you posted above made it a no-brainer.

Mentioned I was going to order it, at least one (car) customer friend prefers to have me collect, maintain & return his bike, than having to go through the hassle of dropping it off at the Triumph dealer, and a few others will be happy to have another reason to come over.

just gotta wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive.

Premium Member
Hey Budoka,

Thanks for chiming in. Still around, though I don鈥檛 ride the SP2 as much as I used to, these days. I use it mostly for mountain rides, which I don鈥檛 do so often these days, as they鈥檙e hours away, rather than at our doorstep now.

I鈥檓 glad I learnt how to change tires, thanks to our friend Jondog9.

Together with our young son, we have around 10 bikes now, so tire changes have gotten more frequent.

Looking forward to receiving the tire changer I ordered recently, which should make it a breeze鈥

Reactions: 03rumblebee
1 - 4 of 4 Posts