RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im actually pretty crafty when a rattle can, and i love my bike but the black wheels and black tires mesh together too much, sooooo what i want to do is paint the wheels gold or maybe bronze

i painted my last bike wheels just re did the silver to freshen them up, has anyone done this to our stock wheels?

pics completed:

Ryan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Dude,have seen a trick HRC gold set,red,yellow looks shit,But my preference is to go thru a bit of pain and strip the whole wheel and sand and polish complete rim then piant spokes black or what ever color you want.This was big in the 90's here in OZ,you can complete with rim tape and vtr sp1 hrc stickers.Will post a pic when im finnished.looks trick.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did my rear last night, came out really nice, ill get some pics up when im not on a govt computer

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I've prepped 3 sets now. I prefer silver for the red bike's and medium charcoal for a black bike. I strip em down, 180 or 240grit the chips, 500 and grey scotchbrite the res of the rim and spokes. Then Barry paints and clearcoats the rims for me. They come out better than factory, and the high gloss makes them pop. Plus the spokes clean very easy with the clearcoat. But I've always let the clear cure for about 2 weeks to harden real good b4 use. IMO, they have held up as good or better than powdercoat, plus it's easier to get exactly the color you want.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the key to my last wheels were i used engine enamel and they were very durable against regular riding and washing them, as for tools, etc im sure they would have scratched up,

in any event i painted the front wheel a few min ago with its last coat so now its curing some and then ill toss it back on in a bit, for a total cost out of pocket of $11 im sure i wont be dissappointed, i also used to use this same paint on car wheels when i refinished them as well.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Very, Very nice idrivetoys! I increased my screen size to 300% so I could get my nose right into those rims. They look awesome! That's the perfect shade of gold imo. Nicely done.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very, Very nice idrivetoys! I increased my screen size to 300% so I could get my nose right into those rims. They look awesome! That's the perfect shade of gold imo. Nicely done.

Thank you sir, i greatly appreciate it

I actually haven't taken a hard look at them til now and man i love it, i just have the thing about black wheels, never been my cup of tea, ill let you guys know how the enamel holds up

·
Registered
100 Posts
Idrivetoys, Just curious how the rattle can wheels are holding up now? I would LOVE that exact gold color on my Black 06. i figure its almost been two months so you would probably see some damage by now (if there was going to be any).

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the late reply, but yes they hold up just fine, the only nicks in the paint i have are from the last time i had the wheel off for tires and the brakes hit a few times, but it seems to be holding up just fine with a good few layers of the engine enamel

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HAHA, but hes right, i do wash it all the time

I head to florida end of next week, this weekend ill be at Bogue for the AMOS course, maybe we can try for a ride next week, ill let you know when i leave when i pick my orders up tomorrow

1 - 20 of 23 Posts