RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang...I have a question and thought I'd ask it here. Was talking to a few friends and the subject of parts came up and opinions starting flowing.

Pretty simple to know that OEM stuff is far better than EBay knock off's...but things like comparing Galfer lines vs. Speigler or CRG levers vs. ASV..at that point aren't we really talking about Washington vs. Fuji Apples ?

No brainer that Akro and Mori are great products and LB's are perhaps the best. But if a guy only has a budget of $1K to spend on a system that he can get today...then we are back to TBR vs Jardine. Isn't that simply different flavors of Apples ??

I have never heard of ASV, but I read some good things about them....they are in the same price point as my CRG's so at that point it is taste ??

Thanks !

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I say you are absolutely correct CRG, ASV, Pazzo I would say are all comparable in quality and price.

I prefer the Pazzo's as I can drive 20 min and pick them up from my buddy who deals directly with the owner of Pazzo.

As with exhaust same again there is the obvious high end and then there is everyone else, everyone else are again on a level playing field compared to each other.

Same as leathers, helmets, and motorcycles. CBR, GSXR, ZX and YZF any one of these a crap bike? I don't think so...I think between these bikes the choices would be between displacement, brand and colour.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Look at Titax levers too.......I have a set and they are great quality.

I have had both brake lines with great results. I prefer the Spieglers as you can adjust the lines to remove the twisting that sometimes can occur if the fittings are crimped a bit off.

Now there are considerable differences in the quality of helmets and leathers. Another words, you get what you pay for:cool:

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Don't forget about Yosh's in that mid-level category. You can still buy brand new slip-ons form them. I had a set and really liked them for what they are. (I think they're the gala apples of exhaust. :D)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...I kinda thought as much, but you know how passionate bike / parts discussions can become

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Ok how about this one...

So we know that Ohlins is the name we think of when it comes to suspension correct? Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but there were two different series of Ohlins forks for our bikes right?

I'm going to guess that first generation forks used the 20mm cartridges and the second generation used the 25mm cartridges. Right so far?

Ok so used these go from anywhere from $1600 to $2500? If I'm way off please chime in...

OK what you have here is a used set of Ohlins forks you just spent "x" amount of dollars for, personally unless I knew the person selling them to me I would take everything they said to me with a grain of salt, they are trying to sell their stuff.

At the least new fork oil, if you can't do it yourself a couple a hundred bucks? May as well put new seals in to be safe and it may need a re-spring another $150.

Seems like a lot of cash for used forks, I know they say Ohlins but the 20mm and the 25mm cartridges have been replaced with the 30mm kits.

For say $1800 all said and done 30mm kits for your stock Showa forks, I was told they would never need another upgrade and was told they will outshine the older style Ohlins with the 20mm cartridges.

Do we need to spend that kind of money? Well I know I can get 20mm cart installed with springs for around $900 but I would rather spend a little more and go with the 30mm kits with the separate rebound and compression valving, sprung for my weight and a little bit of DK magic and voila' Bob's your uncle.

Top shelf suspension for a less than new/used Ohlins, I don't care what the name brand is as long as it works and does what I expect it to do.

Will I be able to out ride the forks? I doubt it, but there is something to be said about trust. Trusting the equipment we are using is half the battle.

If your fighting your ride, then you are not riding to the best of yours and the bikes ability.

One other thing...if you must absolutely have to have radial brakes for your bike then I'd go the way Stig went and have aftermarket ones installed for about $700 while you are getting the forks done and what you get is top notch suspension with whatever calipers you want to add.

Now that would be a really, really sweet set up and to ME worth every penny.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm not 100% on this, but I understand ASV were the first with that style of lever and CRG kinda ripped off the design. I've got the Titax on my RC51 right now and Pazzos on my S1k, but after seeing and feeling the ASVs, I wish I had gone with them instead. I'm probably gonna be going with ASVs over the winter once I get some scratch together. Their C/5 levers have like this matte finish and a rounded design which feels really comfy.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I'm not 100% on this, but I understand ASV were the first with that style of lever and CRG kinda ripped off the design. I've got the Titax on my RC51 right now and Pazzos on my S1k, but after seeing and feeling the ASVs, I wish I had gone with them instead. I'm probably gonna be going with ASVs over the winter once I get some scratch together. Their C/5 levers have like this matte finish and a rounded design which feels really comfy.
What color are the Titax levers you have??:)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Aftermarket levers are poser parts... I know as I have been there & done that, but if you want new levers go with the a full Brembo Master Cylinder set-up and be done with it. You get an astonishing new level of feel & feedback from the components and they amazingly come with new levers too :) The new Brembo RCS levers are even folding levers right out of the box.

As far as spending money on suspension or Ohlins specifically. Keep in mind what you are buying with suspension is a greater margin of safety and a larger margin of error. That lets you ride faster with less drama. You can never be too safe and if the bike is compliant underneath you and doing what it is supposed to do instead of fighting you into and/or out of the turns then you stand a much better chance of keeping it on two wheels even if not on the asphalt when you do make a mistake which we all do!

Oh & a lot of guys have had many many issues with cheaper knock-off levers. They have had everything from flat out failure of the metal to advanced sun fading and even had to shim the perches to keep the levers from being wobbly etc. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ever the optimist, eh? For me, levers are a comfort thing. Yeah, they add a bit of "bling", but I don't find anything wrong with that, either.

I'd love a chance to try a Brembo MC setup, but I haven't been able to "out-brake" my brakes yet so it doesn't really seem necessary.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
My stock levers were the sloppiest wobbliest piece of shites. I couldn't stand them. in a word, clumsey. All that changed when I bit the bullet, spent $160 and replaced them with shorty adjustable Pazzo's. I had foldable CRG's too, but didn't like that folding feature at all. It took away from the feel and feedback you mentioned.
I disagree LDH - nothing poser about a lever(s) upgrade.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
You can justify it to yourself anyway you want to honey :)

I am the poser king, granted my bike was built for marketing strategy, but nonetheless I know a thing or two about bolting on parts for aesthetic value. I could have done it in any color I wanted, but the gold & carbon fiber attracted the most attention :D

I used to flog the living piss outta it too!

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Or you could always do what I did...replace the brake master with a Brembo RCS19, and the clutch master with an Accossato 16x18 fixed lever.

But I also replaced the shorty folding Brembo with a folding Pazzo, and the Accossato with a fixed shorty lever for a Brembo yes they do interchange...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ebay also has some levers that aren't branded, yet look and feel exactly like Pazzo's for just a fraction of the price. I went with a set of those for my bike and haven't been disappointed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts