RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't laugh. I got my RC last summer and up till this point, it has been running like a champ. I went to start it today and it wouldn't turn over. Being that it was like 20 degrees last week and it hadn't turned right over the last two times I went t start it, I figured it needed a charge. I have a battery tender that I used on my previous bikes and I went to hook it up. I took the seat off and I'll be damned if the previous owner didn't put a ZIPPY battery on her! For those who are unaware, a Zippy battery is used on Radio Controlled cars and helicopters. I was wondering why the bike was so light at 440lbs. I'm assuming that this Zippy battery thing is reversible.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once you get a nice Shorai for your girl, start her up and take a voltage measurement on the terminals to make sure the Reg/Rec is still ok.
Lucky for her, she's in good hands now
After doing a little research online, it seems like a lot of guys do it for their track bikes. It is a former, former, trackday bike.....but jeez.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Well the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 (18 Ah) has a 120A cold cracnking power and weights 2.31lbs (1.05kg)

I would have to be racing to MotoGP to care shaving off 1lbs off the bike by using a Radio Controlled cars and helicopters battery on my bike.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Well the Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 (18 Ah) has a 120A cold cracnking power and weights 2.31lbs (1.05kg)

I would have to be racing to MotoGP to care shaving off 1lbs off the bike by using a Radio Controlled cars and helicopters battery on my bike.
+1 for a Shorai.
I love mine

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
I love mine so much that I purchased 2 more.

One for a friend's CB1000 and one for my brother's supercharged CBR1000RR

The CBR uses LFX18A1-BS12 (18 Ah) as well so I've noticed a $50 drop on it's price since I bought mine.

I'm starting to feel a Shorai hoarding virus growing within :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love mine so much that I purchased 2 more.

One for a friend's CB1000 and one for my brother's supercharged CBR1000RR

The CBR uses LFX18A1-BS12 (18 Ah) as well so I've noticed a $50 drop on it's price since I bought mine.

I'm starting to feel a Shorai hoarding virus growing within :D

What size does the RC51 use because it is not on the drop down list at their site. Strangely enough, they have the RC45..lol

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
What size does the RC51 use because it is not on the drop down list at their site. Strangely enough, they have the RC45..lol
The direct replacement for our stock YUASA is the Shorai LFX14A1-BS12

http://motowheels.com/i-7568328-shorai-lithium-iron-lifepo4-battery-lfx14a1-bs12.html

However, as SubSailor recommended, I went for an extra $27 and got the LFX18A1-BS12

http://motowheels.com/i-6922513-shorai-lithium-iron-lifepo4-battery-lfx18a1-bs12.html

I purchased them from the web site in the links through Martin (moto) in SZ. Great guy to do business with.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks fellas. I'm not rolling with a friggin RC Helicopter battery. Just not a good move.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts