RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I would like to say hello to everyone.

In this day and age where everything your say on the web is thrown back at you.
I would also like to add a disclaimer to any posts I make to this forum is just my opinion.

I'm located in Glendale and ride a 04 RC which I bought on craigslist a couple of years ago. Ever since I've been up grading it, changing parts etc. to make it better than stock.

I find that the factory makes a bike for the masses, and I change it to suit me and to make it better.

At my age sometimes it's hard to remember everything I've done to the Rc, but I'll start with the latest upgrade. I just bought new frame sliders from T-Rex Racing to replace the ones that came with the bike when purchased.

The reason I bought new sliders is for the stainless steel rod it comes with, (the old one was not stainless and was rusting) and second was the price, compared to others on the market. As a plus the pucks are first class and a 1/4 inch longer than the old ones.
On the downside the bolt they shipped was a little short but on the plus side they are sending a longer one at no charge without having to send the old one back. Good customer service!

I spent some time today fitting the spacer between the motor and frame to match the distance to the puck on the left side. Now I'm ready for the right bolt so I can ride again.

Anyone who lives in the area, post on the forum to coordinate a ride. I like short rides (under four hours) because I dress for the crash and it's a pain in the ass to ride any longer without a decent destination.

While I'm thinking of it, has anybody ordered Keith's Codes new DVD? Still waiting for mine. I really like to attend one of his classes one of these days.

Later dudes,
John

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just signed up for photobucket. This is a test of work in progress.

The yellow rags in the exhaust is from a lesson learned. My little guy had his hot wheels in his hand at the time. While he walked next to the bike he quickly inserted it in one of the pipes. I thought it was the right one so I took it apart and couldn't find anything, so I ass_u_me_d I was mistaken. Wrong!!
Later that week I took a short ride and when I put the bike back on the stand I noticed melted lead and plastic stuck to the end of the left can. Live and learn.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, No I changed them after I bought the bike. In fact I went though the whole bike and started changing things I was unhappy with or would improve performance and safety. I need to make a list of all the things I changed or modified.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, It's been a while since I've been up that way. I envy you living up there in such beautiful country. Just the right elevation. Someday I wouldn't mind moving to that part of the state.

Great roads around Mingus, Jerome, Sedona and Cottonwood. I really like 89a for the scenery not just the turn count. I gotta do it before winter sets in.

How's the population growth been in Prescott, traffic still bad in town? I know Prescott valley is more spread out and not as bad as downtown Prescott.

John

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Hi, No I changed them after I bought the bike. In fact I went though the whole bike and started changing things I was unhappy with or would improve performance and safety. I need to make a list of all the things I changed or modified.
I'd love a set of Ohlins forks, but they're a bit rich for my pocket book.
Instead, I took my stock forks and revalved/resprung them.
Soon, I'll be replacing the cartridges and springs with Traxxion-Dynamics kit.
Will be curious how different they behave.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Traxxion-Dynamics kit is a good way to go. Before I bought the Ohlins the mechanic I talk to tried to talk me out of the Ohlins and go the cartridge route. I didn't know the difference and still don't.

Not to mention what I'd like to call the fork wars I would read on different forums on who's is better and so on. I don't have the skills to push the envelope and don't care to. All I know is they feel good to me and are Definitely better than what was on it before.

I'm sure you'll like and feel the difference. Just get the right spring for your weight to set the proper sag but I'm sure you know all about that stuff.

·
Registered
479 Posts
im was raised in fountain hills but moved up here 4 years ago. Traffic in prescott valley isn't too bad unless something happens on 69 and then it gets bad. The roads up here are super tits and my rc spends it's life on the road to jerome

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Iceman JD! I see your out of AZ like me! Where are you located maybe we can ride sometime! I'm out of the west side of Phoenix area. Not to many of the RC's out there to ride with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm on the west side too. 67th ave / pinnacle peak. Sounds like a plan. I've seen one parked over at 59th and union hills in the medical plaza a while ago maybe a year. Your right Pretty scarce... I wonder what two rc's would sound like? Later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I actually go to UTI in Avondale! But let me know when you want to get together! I'm just out here for school and then probably back to south FL or maybe ATL. Haven't decided yet. Anyway just let me know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Funny I went to UTI for A/C when they still taught it.. It was located off of Grand and Welden at the time. Waiting for a part for the beast and just ordered Alpinestars leathers from STG and hoping it comes next week. After that I'll be ready.

·
Registered
479 Posts
there are two rc51s up here in prescott valley in addition to mine. One is a sp1 and the other is a sp2. I also know of one owned by a cool guy near arrowhead mall

1 - 20 of 55 Posts