RC51 Forums banner

Audi/VW in talks to purchase Ducati for $1.1B

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  The Stig 
#1 ·
#2 ·
would be good for Ducati....better then having someone over here buy it and ruin the company. I'd rather not see another Harley-MV Agusta situation.

#3 ·
Yeah at least the VW/Audi/Porsche group understands performance.
As opposed to Harley-Davidson buying MV Agusta.

I have no idea what technology transfer MV would have gotten out of that deal.
Nice paint and innovative use of chrome?
Would have made about as much sense as John Deere buying Ferrari.

#4 ·
Harley opened up the door for MV to get into the China manufacturing market...since thats where their parts are now made.:rolleyes:

I like the VW pairing with the Duc....maybe a navi/bluetooth system is in order for the 1098??

It would be nice just for Ducati to sustain on their own without the fear of being bought/sold/traded etc...

#5 ·
MV provided a performance "halo" for Harley. They still owned Buell at the time. Could have transferred technology related to: Radial heads, Italian styling (Willie just announced retirement), Multiple World Championship pedigree, Magneti-Marelli engine management upgrades. Could also mean they need help to get to where BMW went with it's Boxer motor, water-cooling due to strict EURO regs.

#8 ·
Well, perhaps Rossi & the rest will now get the Ducati investment & development they need to be quicker.... Then again, maybe not! ;)

#11 ·
wow, did not hear that. That would not look good on Ducati, can't blame Rossi though.....wonder if he will keep racing or just leave. I do not want to see him like Haga though.....it's getting depressing watching Haga in BSB, still one of my favorite riders. He just does not know those tracks and is having a hard time keeping pace at the front.

#12 ·
I can only imagine that during negotiations, investors in Ducati probably didn't want to invest heavily in WSB development, which could be the reason why the bike is still not all that competitive yet. Would be great if Audi resolved this problem promptly, but it may still take more than a season and we're only at the beginning. :(

Come what may.... The sport needs Rossi's charisma to continue to attract spectators & fans I think. The others are quite boring by comparison, but then I'm biassed so just MHO :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.